General Discussion

Sunterra timeshares

Aug 16, 2007

Does any one have information about sunterra timeshares? Is this a good time share to buy or sell? I am interested knowing about Royal Dunes in Hilton Head SC. J.K.

Judith K.
Aug 18, 2007

judithk29 wrote:
Does any one have information about sunterra timeshares? Is this a good time share to buy or sell? I am interested knowing about Royal Dunes in Hilton Head SC. J.K.
-------- Sunterra has various plans, one of which is a points system called Sun Options. This provides some more flexibility above and beyond other exchange companies. Be advised that if you buy resale from a private party you will probably not be part of the points system and will have to pay a few thousand more $$$ to join the points system. There is a group of 15-16 Sunterra resorts that are part of a Trust. I believe if you bought one of these resorts from a private party, you'd be able to use exchange into any of the other resorts in the group without going through RCI, II, etc. If you decide to buy from a developer to get into the Sun Options system, you WILL pay top dollar. Make sure you buy “enough points” to cater to your travel demands. In the latest Sun Options guide Royal Dunes lists 3 bedroom units with point values ranging from 4,000 (low season) to 11,000 (peak season). Many sales people will entice you into buying a smaller cheaper "package", but then you find out your exchange options are limited. Good Luck.

Mike N.
Aug 18, 2007

Thank you for the information. J.K.

Judith K.
Aug 21, 2007

A Royal Dunes was recently sold via ebay.

Buy a cheap deeded Sunterra resort where you would like to vacation often and then pay $2995 or so to join the Club Sun points system. Remember the trust is only good for the 21 resorts within the trust you need to be a member of Club Sun to get access to the 100 or so resorts within that system.

Timeshare U.
Aug 21, 2007

How much did Royal Dunes sell for on Ebay?

J.K.

Judith K.
Aug 21, 2007

You can check e bay sales or reserve not met on the e bay site.

In the search section, put in the name of the place, or the management company you are interested in....Sunterra Timeshare or Marriott Timeshare.

Then search. What will come up is the current auctions.

Since you want completed auctions, look to the left of the screen and note options. Simply click completed auctions. That will show you what was sold, what did not reach or met reserve.

If a company has a ROFR, you will not be able to tell if the company stopped the sale by taking it themselves.

Kenneth K.
Aug 22, 2007

Thank you for the info. J.K.

Judith K.
Sep 24, 2007

We purchased a week from a private party at Sunterra The Ridge at Sedona Golf Resort. It is a beautiful resort and we enjoy going there but wanted a change so tried to deposit our week with Interval International since we have a gold membership with other timeshare we own. We were told that II could not accept the deposit directly from us because we owned a "week" and did not participate in the point system. The point system did not even exist when the original owner bought it. We have no intention of paying more money to use a week we already paid for and don't understand how Sunterra has control over our week. Does anyone know how we can find out about the trust that was previously mentioned.

Amy R.
Nov 17, 2007

kekouri wrote:
You can check e bay sales or reserve not met on the e bay site.

In the search section, put in the name of the place, or the management company you are interested in....Sunterra Timeshare or Marriott Timeshare.

Then search. What will come up is the current auctions.

Since you want completed auctions, look to the left of the screen and note options. Simply click completed auctions. That will show you what was sold, what did not reach or met reserve.

If a company has a ROFR, you will not be able to tell if the company stopped the sale by taking it themselves.

MaryLou E.

Last edited by maryloue2 on Nov 23, 2007 04:46 PM

Nov 17, 2007

amyr8 We purchased a week from a private party at Sunterra The Ridge at Sedona Golf Resort. It is a beautiful resort and we enjoy going there but wanted a change so tried to deposit our week with Interval International since we have a gold membership with other timeshare we own. We were told that II could not accept the deposit directly from us because we owned a "week" and did not participate in the point system. The point system did not even exist when the original owner bought it. We have no intention of paying more money to use a week we already paid for and don't understand how Sunterra has control over our week. Does anyone know how we can find out about the trust that was previously mentioned.[/Q

MaryLou E.

Last edited by maryloue2 on Nov 23, 2007 04:53 PM

Nov 17, 2007

maryloue2 wrote:
amyr8 wrote:
We purchased a week from a private party at Sunterra The Ridge at Sedona Golf Resort. It is a beautiful resort and we enjoy going there but wanted a change so tried to deposit our week with Interval International since we have a gold membership with other timeshare we own. We were told that II could not accept the deposit directly from us because we owned a "week" and did not participate in the point system. The point system did not even exist when the original owner bought it. We have no intention of paying more money to use a week we already paid for and don't understand how Sunterra has control over our week. Does anyone know how we can find out about the trust that was previously mentioned.

Sunterra which was recently bought out by Diamond Resorts started selling in trust in 2004 because it is considered to be the highest and most secure form of real estate to own but it also hedges against inflation of maintenance fees.

Sunterra dropped RCI for many reasons years ago the main one being lack of availability as well as quality. If you bought a traditional week on the resale or even from Sunterra before they went to points in 2000, your useage is still the same as when you purchased it. Meaning you can either go to your home resort or exchange through RCI which was what you purchased as did I because I bought in 1996.

You are in control of your ownership and nobody else but traditional week owners cannot go through II because even though II is not a point system, Club owners trade through II with points. I have had many wonderful vacations using my points both within club and II and points give me a far better value than when I had a traditional week.

I was given the opportunity just as I am sure the person who you bought your week from to buy equal to what I owned when they went to points and they converted my traditional week to points. I used to own a two bedroom annual at the summit which is equal to 10,000 points so I purhased 10,000 points from Sunterra in 2002 and they attached 10,000 points to my deed at the Summit for a total of 20,000 points per year.

I recently purchased more and upgraded everything into the trust for the reasons that I already stated and I now own 31,000 points per year and am a very happy owner.

It is like anything else, you bought one model and it still works exactly like when you purchase it but if you want it to work like the new model then you have to purchase just as all owners who purchase prior to 2000 like myself had to do.

You can find trust on the resale market but purchasing that will not merge your ownerships. It would give you the right to use the trust points within the 19 trust properties and exchange through II however in your case, that would complicate things even more for you. You would be paying membership fee to RCI and II and you would have two different types of ownerships.

RCI has also gone to points which you would have to buy into as well however I would strongly suggest that you do your due delligence before doing so. It is not only expensive to buy into their point system but there a lot of hidden fees as well and they currently have about 1000 resorts available with points.

I have yet to talk to an RCI member traditonal or points that are happy with the way the system works, it is complicated and the availability has not improved much over that of the traditonal week.

Hope this info prooves to be helpful to you.

========= I'm an II member and an RCI points memeber, I don't feel either system is any more "complicated" than booking exchanges through the "Sunterra" system. The only feature I do not like (and do not use) is RCI's deposit first system. Last year I went to a Sunterra presentation and their point system peaked my interest, but I wasn't about to spend over $14000 and several hundred dollars/year maintenance fees for the number of points that were being alloted. Have a great weekend

Mike N.
Nov 18, 2007

mike1536

amyr8 wrote:
We purchased a week from a private party at Sunterra The Ridge at Sedona Golf Resort. It is a beautiful resort and we enjoy going there but wanted a change so tried to deposit our week with Interval International since we have a gold membership with other timeshare we own. We were told that II could not accept the deposit directly from us because we owned a "week" and did not participate in the point system. The point system did not even exist when the original owner bought it. We have no intention of paying more money to use a week we already paid for and don't understand how Sunterra has control over our week.

========= I'm an II member and an RCI points memeber, I don't feel either system is any more "complicated" than booking exchanges through the "Sunterra" system. The only feature I do not like (and do not use) is RCI's deposit first system. Last year I went to a Sunterra presentation and their point system peaked my interest, but I wasn't about to spend over $14000 and several hundred dollars/year maintenance fees for the number of points that were being alloted. Have a great weekend

+++++++++++++++++

MaryLou E.

Last edited by maryloue2 on Nov 23, 2007 05:24 PM

Nov 18, 2007

maryloue2 wrote:
mike1536 wrote:
maryloue2 wrote:
amyr8 wrote:

Sunterra which was recently bought out by Diamond Resorts started selling in trust in 2004 because it is considered to be the highest and most secure form of real estate to own but it also hedges against inflation of maintenance fees.

Sunterra dropped RCI for many reasons years ago the main one being lack of availability as well as quality. If you bought a traditional week on the resale or even from Sunterra before they went to points in 2000, your useage is still the same as when you purchased it. Meaning you can either go to your home resort or exchange through RCI which was what you purchased as did I because I bought in 1996.

You are in control of your ownership and nobody else but traditional week owners cannot go through II because even though II is not a point system, Club owners trade through II with points. I have had many wonderful vacations using my points both within club and II and points give me a far better value than when I had a traditional week.

I was given the opportunity just as I am sure the person who you bought your week from to buy equal to what I owned when they went to points and they converted my traditional week to points. I used to own a two bedroom annual at the summit which is equal to 10,000 points so I purhased 10,000 points from Sunterra in 2002 and they attached 10,000 points to my deed at the Summit for a total of 20,000 points per year.

I recently purchased more and upgraded everything into the trust for the reasons that I already stated and I now own 31,000 points per year and am a very happy owner.

It is like anything else, you bought one model and it still works exactly like when you purchase it but if you want it to work like the new model then you have to purchase just as all owners who purchase prior to 2000 like myself had to do.

You can find trust on the resale market but purchasing that will not merge your ownerships. It would give you the right to use the trust points within the 19 trust properties and exchange through II however in your case, that would complicate things even more for you. You would be paying membership fee to RCI and II and you would have two different types of ownerships.

RCI has also gone to points which you would have to buy into as well however I would strongly suggest that you do your due delligence before doing so. It is not only expensive to buy into their point system but there a lot of hidden fees as well and they currently have about 1000 resorts available with points.

I have yet to talk to an RCI member traditonal or points that are happy with the way the system works, it is complicated and the availability has not improved much over that of the traditonal week.

Hope this info prooves to be helpful to you.

+++++++++++++++++

Hi, I am not sure where you attended a presentation but they obviously did not do you justice because there are a lot of packages that you could purchase for less than $14,000.00. I don't know what the point value of your week is because it depends on what size unit that you own.

As I said, I also own a traditonal week with Westin and I can use points in their internal system however, they only have about 12 properties. It exchanges as traditonal week if I deposit with II which has not been a good experience for me so I deposit it with Diamond Resorts when I do outside Westin's system.

I know if you had the points system, you would enjoy the flexibility and fair value of exchanges and availabilty and I doubt that you would ever go back to using it the traditional way.

If you are truly interested in having the points, then let me know what size unit you own and I will let you know what it would cost to purchase which would also include attaching points to your week.

Diamond is offering some great promotions right now which will run until mid Dec. so now is the time if you feel that it something that you want. Anyway, have a great weekend and let me know if you would like to find out what it woud cost and the benefits that you would recieve.

MaryLou

========== what is your email?

Mike N.
Nov 19, 2007

mike1536 wrote:
mike1536 wrote:
amyr8 wrote:
We purchased a week from a private party at Sunterra The Ridge at Sedona Golf Resort. It is a beautiful resort and we enjoy going there but wanted a change so tried to deposit our week with Interval International since we have a gold membership with other timeshare we own. We were told that II could not accept the deposit directly from us because we owned a "week" and did not participate in the point system. original owner bought it. We have no intention of paying more money to use a week we already paid for and don't un.
+++++++++++++++++

==========

MaryLou E.

Last edited by maryloue2 on Nov 23, 2007 05:35 PM

Nov 20, 2007

judithk29 Does any one have information about sunterra timeshares? Is this a good time share to buy or sell? I am interested knowing about Royal Dunes in Hilton Head SC.

MaryLou E.

Last edited by maryloue2 on Nov 23, 2007 05:40 PM

Nov 21, 2007

If it cost more than $2995 as you say, I would not buy into their system unless I had a real dog of a timeshare as it only costs $150 per year through Red Week or Interval International to trade what you have for another nice timeshare.

I could buy a nice timeshare to trade with for that price on E-Bay. Or I could rent most timeshares for little more than the annual maintenance fee. Take a look at some of the many (For Rent) listings on several internet sites such as this one if you don't believe me.

Don't buy a timeshare unless you plan to use it or it's a great trader which you'll use through RCI, II, or Redweek or DAE. Otherwise just rent what you want when you want it from some other person that can't make the trip, but is forced to pay their annual maintenance fee anyway. Many, many timeshares go unused every year. And many people are really bummed out when they later find out they could have just rented and not been out all the initial money it took to be responsible for the annual maintenance and special assessments.

Orville F.
Nov 21, 2007

orvillef2 wrote:
If it cost more than $2995 as you say, I would not buy into their system unless I had a real dog of a timeshare as it only costs $150 per year through Red Week or Interval International to trade what you have for another nice timeshare.

I could buy a nice timeshare to trade with for that price on E-Bay. Or I could rent most timeshares for little more than the annual maintenance fee. Take a look at some of the many (For Rent) listings on several internet sites such as this one if you don't believe me.

Don't buy a timeshare unless you plan to use it or it's a great trader which you'll use through RCI, II, or Redweek or DAE. Otherwise just rent what you want when you want it from some other person that can't make the trip, but is forced to pay their annual maintenance fee anyway. Many, many timeshares go unused every year. And many people are really bummed out when they later find out they could have just rented and not been out all the initial money it took to be responsible for the annual maintenance and special assessments.

If you are going to make posts like this and slam a product, you should really gain some knowledge about what you are talking about. I can tell from your post that you have no real awareness about Diamonds aka Sunterra system or how it works or that you own a timeshare.

Posting assumptions which are not based on facts are not helpful to anyone !

MaryLou E.
Nov 21, 2007

maryloue2 wrote:
judithk29 wrote:
Hi, I have owned with Sunterra which is now Diamond Resorts for almost twelve years and I also own at the Westin. I own 31,500 points backed by a deed and because I was a happy owner, I now work for them as well and feel you have not gotten the total truth from people on this site.

Yes you can buy 4000 points which is the smallest ownership that we offer. Regarding exchanging within the system or II, there is no other ownerhip that offers the exchange capability and or availability that this one.

It is easy to use, and Diamond Resorts expectations of quality and customer service are far superior to any other developer in the industry which is why I own and work there.

Yes you can buy on the resale however you will not have the full benefits as a Diamond Club owner which there are far to many for me to go into. People who own this product and advertise as points are not being truthful and they signed documents when they purchase that states Club meaning the points and the benefits, do not transfer if they choose to sell it.

If you find one that is offering TRUST POINTS and you choose to purchase that ownership, you would have the right to exchange within 19 properties which are owned by Diamond or exchange it as a traditonal week through II.

Points give you a far better value, more choices and flexibility than a traditional week. I deal primarily with our owners and 55% of our owners come back and purchase over and over again from the developer instead of on the secondary market.

They obviously know about the resale market and yet still choose to pay more and purchase from the developer so they must see the value in what comes with the ownership when they purchase directly versus buying more on the resale market.

Royal Dunes used to be owned by Epic who went belly up and there were many owners who lost out because they did not purchase from Epic. Those that did were very fortunate because Sunterra chose to offer all Epic Owners a deed held in trust in our system. So regarding that paticular property, I would exercise caution before moving forward with a purchase because you could end up with a week that you could only go there or exchange through RCI or II, depending on what the seller actually owns and who they originally bought from.

Hope you find this helpful!

========= So MaryLou, you are saying that if someone owns a resort that is part of the Trust, they could not "buy" into the Diamond Club (at any price), but must buy another timeshare package. Even RCI allows owners of units, bought resale, where resorts are switching from weeks to points to pay a conversion fee to get in their points system.

Mike N.
Nov 21, 2007

I am sorry but with all due respect to MaryLou, orvillef2 has made some valid points. My husband and I purchased a resale at Sunterra Poipu Point 1 year ago, recommended by friends. We are owners at Marriott Newport coast and just purchased at Maui Marriott, which we should have from the very beginning. Sunterra invited us to a 90 minute presentation while we were staying there this past summer. The packages they were trying to sell us to convert were outrageous. We declined of course, as we just had purchased the timeshare. When we returned home we had salespeople calling trying to sell the cheapest packages which were the $2995 deal. We can rent a place at Sunterra for a reasonable price. Getaways at Interval run cheaper than the yearly $999. maintenance fees that the resort charges. May I add that there was not one umbrella at the Poipu Point location while we were there. Sunterra also informed us that we would not be able to put this up with Interval due to that it was a resale. We called Interval and they gladly accepted our location in Hawaii. We did not have to purchase any points. We will just have the Interval fee when we trade.

Kim M.
Nov 21, 2007

kimm112 wrote:
I am sorry but with all due respect to MaryLou, orvillef2 has made some valid points. My husband and I purchased a resale at Sunterra Poipu Point 1 year ago, recommended by friends. We are owners at Marriott Newport coast and just purchased at Maui Marriott, which we should have from the very beginning. Sunterra invited us to a 90 minute presentation while we were staying there this past summer. The packages they were trying to sell us to convert were outrageous. We declined of course, as we just had purchased the timeshare. When we returned home we had salespeople calling trying to sell the cheapest packages which were the $2995 deal. We can rent a place at Sunterra for a reasonable price. Getaways at Interval run cheaper than the yearly $999. maintenance fees that the resort charges. May I add that there was not one umbrella at the Poipu Point location while we were there. Sunterra also informed us that we would not be able to put this up with Interval due to that it was a resale. We called Interval and they gladly accepted our location in Hawaii. We did not have to purchase any points. We will just have the Interval fee when we trade.

MaryLou E.

Last edited by maryloue2 on Nov 23, 2007 05:44 PM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.