General Discussion

Selling Time Shares

Oct 16, 2007

Has anyone really ever been able to sell their time share? Are all Time Share Resellers just there to collect their fee's and then forget about you? Are there any legitimate resellers that take their fee at the end of the sale? I have two deeded Silverleaf Time Shares in Texas, one in Galveston and one in Canyon, Texas. Want to sell both as we don't have the time to use them as we should. I have them listed on Red Week, but haven't received one hit. Are there any companies that just take over the payments? Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Bruce

Bruce J.

Last edited by marty8084 on Oct 16, 2007 03:37 PM

Oct 16, 2007

Are you pricing them to sell?

If you want a real live Realtor, there are a few who help post here on redweek. There is a list of several with no big complaints on the www.tugbbs.com (Redweek included - but not as a Realtor) None are located in Texas. ( Thats a warning)

BUT be ready... They will tell you what it might sell for. You may not be happy.

Many people are able to sell their timeshare. But you gotta price it right. I hope your future payments are not much higher than a few thousand dollars, or you may end up selling and still be in the red.

Kenneth K.
Oct 17, 2007

brucej41 wrote:
Are there any companies that just take over the payments? Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Bruce

If you're speaking of a timeshare loan (companies that take over payments), it's almost impossible to sell a timeshare with a loan balance. It's hard enough to sell a timeshare without a loan balance.

My suggestion would be to use, rent or exchange your Texas weeks until the loan balance is paid off then try to sell them.

If a loan balance is not the issue, then keep dropping your price until you start getting some interest (emails).

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Oct 17, 2007 06:58 AM

Nov 07, 2007

I've always been told NOT to be with a timeshare resale company that demands money up front. We own 6 weeks of timeshare but would like to sell our point week only. Does anyone know of a company that is not a ripoff?

Juleen K.
Nov 07, 2007

juleenk wrote:
I've always been told NOT to be with a timeshare resale company that demands money up front. We own 6 weeks of timeshare but would like to sell our point week only. Does anyone know of a company that is not a ripoff?
THIS TIME OF THE YEAR IS A HARD TIME TO SELL. YOUR PRICE HAS TO BE VARY LOW TO SELL FASTER. DO NO USE "ADVANTICE TIMESHARE" TO SELL YOUR TIMESHARE. I LOSS 3000. WITH THEM.

Mary V.
Nov 07, 2007

vlahos wrote:
juleenk wrote:
THIS TIME OF THE YEAR IS A HARD TIME TO SELL. YOUR PRICE HAS TO BE VARY LOW TO SELL FASTER. DO NO USE "ADVANTICE TIMESHARE" TO SELL YOUR TIMESHARE. I LOSS 3000. WITH THEM.

Juleen K.
Nov 07, 2007

Thanks for the warning! What is a good month to sell?

Juleen K.
Nov 08, 2007

juleenk wrote:
Thanks for the warning! What is a good month to sell?

It's hard to say what a good month is to sell a timeshare in the current market. Formerly it was toward the last quarter of the year with maintenance fees due in January for most resorts and people wanting to sell before their due date. But lately with the downturn in the economy and the real estate crisis, many people don't have the disposable income to buy a timeshare, so it's actually a crapshoot as to when to list your timeshare for sale these days.

Also, all the $1 timeshares by the postcard companies on Ebay have devalued all resale timeshares. Why would anyone pay in the hundreds or thousands of dollars for a timeshare when they can get one on Ebay for just $1.

R P.
Nov 08, 2007

You have to do things differently if you want different results from the herd mentality. If all you do is what everyone else is doing, you'll get the same results.

Here are three ideas I've presented in other threads, so I won't go into the detail here.

1.) Take a vacation at your resort with the intent of using some of the time to sit in a car across the street on the public highway with a sign telling potential resort visitors that you will sell your timeshare for less than the best deal they can make inside. As people stop to see, tell them to make their best deal if they decide to buy, come back out and show you their purchase contract, have financing and closing already available for them if necessary, and sell yours to them within the 3 to 7 days "cooling off" period so they can close on yours, and rescind their other contract to get their money back. The resort can do nothing to you for your actions on public property. Just check with the police before you do this to get permission on how to do it legally.

2.) Put it up for "Rent to Buy" so that the people that come to you are not the cheapy renters, but those actually interested in testing the resort for the purpose of buying it. Have the renter sign an Option to Purchase along with the rental contract so that they and you are happy with the potential sale if they decide to buy. You can offer to give they their rent back as down payment, double it if they actually take a tour of the property, etc.

3.) Exchange the timeshare NOT through the normal RCI or II, but through "home exchange" organizations. These are often free and very flexible. You're trading your timeshare in a resort location for staying in someone's home in an area you want to visit. Use the same method as above #2 to give them an option to buy from you if they decide they like it. You will find many such people like home exchanges and will find ownership of a timeshare at a decent price an advantage since they can have greater flexibility in planning their travel time.

Timeshares can have value. You just have to think creatively and outside the box to increase that value.

Dr. Ken Rich

Ken R.
Nov 14, 2007

PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM

- AMERICAN MARKETING TIMESHARE

- PRESTIGE TIMESHARE

They both the same company but they will tell you otherwise. They will get your money and forget about you. They just SCUM AND SCAM!!!!

Jeannette S.
Nov 14, 2007

brucej41 wrote:
Has anyone really ever been able to sell their time share? Are all Time Share Resellers just there to collect their fee's and then forget about you? Are there any legitimate resellers that take their fee at the end of the sale? I have two deeded Silverleaf Time Shares in Texas, one in Galveston and one in Canyon, Texas. Want to sell both as we don't have the time to use them as we should. I have them listed on Red Week, but haven't received one hit. Are there any companies that just take over the payments? Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Bruce

Have you checked out Ebay to compare what "fire-sale" prices are bringing from owners who just want out?? Some good deals for buyers on ebay. Not so good for sellers.

Archie B.
Nov 15, 2007

Do points sell better than a timeshare week?

Juleen K.
Nov 15, 2007

juleenk wrote:

That depends on what the individual is looking for. Points are more flexible than weeks, however many people prefer fixed weeks and they buy where they like to go every year or to trade with the exchange companies if they so choose some years. BTW, II has not yet gone to a points system, only RCI has, but not all RCI resorts are in the points system .... confused yet :o)!

There are many points systems affiliated with different timeshare entities, so all the different points systems can be rather confusing.

Try perusing the Points forum here to learn more about the different points systems.

R P.
Nov 15, 2007

juleenk wrote:

If I were in the market for purchasing a time share today ... I definitely would be looking for a points deal than a fixed week. Much more flexibility with points. Personally speaking, I would not consider a fixed week timeshare.

Archie B.
Nov 23, 2007

Speaking of points- I want to sell my Grandview Timeshare in LV. and I've got 98,000 RCI points each year and will have a little over 200,000 points available by the first of the year. I have not seen anyone using their points on Redweek for selling features. I wonder why this is? Anyone have any ideas?

Shawn R.
Nov 23, 2007

shawnr32 wrote:
Speaking of points- I want to sell my Grandview Timeshare in LV. and I've got 98,000 RCI points each year and will have a little over 200,000 points available by the first of the year. I have not seen anyone using their points on Redweek for selling features. I wonder why this is? Anyone have any ideas?

Because, so far, Redweek doesn't offer points for sale, only weeks. Marty, correct me if I'm wrong ... also will Redweek ever offer points for sale or rent.

R P.
Nov 23, 2007

jayjay wrote:
shawnr32 wrote:

Because, so far, Redweek doesn't offer points for sale, only weeks. Marty, correct me if I'm wrong ... also will Redweek ever offer points for sale or rent.

=========== Shawn, you wouldn't list your unit as "points for sale". Just list your LV unit as a regular sale and highlight the point values in the ad. Marty, can RedWeek can add sections to list "points" resorts separately from traditional "weeks" resorts?

Mike N.
Nov 24, 2007

Jayjay has mentioned above that "RedWeek doesn't offer points for sale, only weeks".

An RCI Points week is, on paper anyhow, really just a specific "week" at some particular RCI Points resort. It simply has an RCI Points allocation associated with it ---and can still be used as a "week" at the home resort, if the owner chooses. Accordingly, a "RCI Points week" can be sold just like any other (non-RCI points) "week".

RCI Points can't be ever sold or rented out BY THEMSELVES by any RCI Points owner, except as part of the sale of the entire "RCI Points week" ownership (these are RCI rules, regardless of RedWeek practices). Unused RCI Points can be carried over from one year to the next by the RCI Points account owner (into his/her own account). A RCI Points owner can also "borrow" from (his/her own) next years' point allocation --- but that's it. Sale or rental of RCI Points alone, without actual sale of the entire underlying ownership, is prohibited and impossible to accomplish.

That all said, what I DON'T know is whether upon sale of a RCI Points week, any "carried over" RCI points (as already described above) can be transferred along to a new owner as a part of the sale. It MAY be that ONLY the underlying annual RCI Points allocation amount can actually get transferred in the course of a RCI Points week sale --- I just plain don't know. The answer, however, could certainly make a significant difference in the value of a "RCI Points week" being sold if there was a substantial number of "carried over" RCI Points in the account.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Nov 24, 2007 05:20 AM

Nov 25, 2007

Thanks guys! That all makes sense. After I posted my question, I went to ebay and saw someone posted for sale a unit identical to mine and it had the points highlighted (244,000). I do want to sell the unit, not only the points. I was just wondering why sellers on Redweek where not highlighting their points. RCI's points are pretty cool- for example, 3 years ago my wife and I went to Hawwii for 7 days and stayed at a great 2 bedroom condo that slept 8 with a kitchen and 2 balconies, we spent 188,000 points and this included 2 round trip tickets from Minnesota! So then, me selling my unit with 98,000 points per year and January 2008 having a total of 207,000 available- I'm thinking is a great deal for someone. We paid $22,000 almost 4 years ago. Is Reedweek and ebay the best place to advertise? Any thoughts?? Thanks!!

Shawn R.
Nov 25, 2007

My personal opinion is that Redweek is the number ONE timeshare ad site on the internet mainly because of the ease for the customer to write their ads and you can put as much info in the ads as you choose ..... this is not the case with some of the other timeshare ad sites ... and because of the thousands of hits they get a day. However, you could also check out www.myresortnetwork.com which is also popular and I like www.bidshares.com , which is free, but it's more of a timeshare auction site and doesn't get as much traffic as Redweek and MRN.

R P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.