Timeshare Exchanges

Provisional Weeks

Dec 25, 2007

I am considering using red week to exchange my Hawaii week but after looking through what was available (over 55 pages) everything is provisional except for about 100 time shares that look like they have been deposited (points noted next to them). And when there is an available place in a desirable location (equal to my Hawaii i.e. colorado, utah, etc. it is usually in an off season). So what is anyones chances of ever getting anything they want. If you pick a provisonal week you want and press notify me, you have to wait for that person to get what he wants before he gives it up. And then you have no idea how many people are on line ahead of you for that same week. So it appears that if I deposited my week on a provisional basis the chances of me getting anything is probably zero and only slightly better if I deposit my week. The way I see it you only have about 100 or so timeshares available right now. Would like to know what success rate of people depositing provisional weeks getting what they want. Also would be interested in other members experience with this.

Arlynn H.
Dec 26, 2007

arlynn1 wrote:
I am considering using red week to exchange my Hawaii week but after looking through what was available (over 55 pages) everything is provisional except for about 100 time shares that look like they have been deposited (points noted next to them). And when there is an available place in a desirable location (equal to my Hawaii i.e. colorado, utah, etc. it is usually in an off season). So what is anyones chances of ever getting anything they want. If you pick a provisonal week you want and press notify me, you have to wait for that person to get what he wants before he gives it up. And then you have no idea how many people are on line ahead of you for that same week. So it appears that if I deposited my week on a provisional basis the chances of me getting anything is probably zero and only slightly better if I deposit my week. The way I see it you only have about 100 or so timeshares available right now. Would like to know what success rate of people depositing provisional weeks getting what they want. Also would be interested in other members experience with this.
===================== Here's another note about the provisional weeks. Redweek evaluation for your unit may change when the provisional week becomes available.

Mike N.

Last edited by mike1536 on Dec 26, 2007 06:14 AM

Dec 26, 2007

arlynn1 I am considering using red week to exchange my Hawaii week but after looking through what was available (over 55 pages) everything is provisional except for about 100 time shares that look like they have been deposited (points noted next to them). And when there is an available place in a desirable location (equal to my Hawaii i.e. colorado, utah, etc.

Arlynn drop down this list and read the post "Why Can't We Get Rid Of The Provisional List".

This may help you decide what you want to do with your Hawaii condo. PHIL

Phil L.

Last edited by phill12 on Feb 02, 2008 06:25 AM

Jan 19, 2008

arlynn1 wrote:

I agree with your post. I am fairly new to RedWeek.com (6 mos) but in that time frame, I have yet to be notified of any of the half dozen properties in which I have expressed an interest. The only one that keeps popping up is the same timeshare that I deposited in the first place. I listed my timeshare week with points for an exchange, now I'm wondering if that was a good move. At least with a provisional listing, you have the option of still using your week at your resort if nothing else comes through.

Diana C.
Feb 01, 2008

I'm not sure how they get the Provisional weeks. I asked for valulation on 2 different weeks, and behold they came up on the provisional list. I did not intend to exchange them for what Redweek offered, so I was suprise to see them on the provisional list. From this experience, I'm not sure if most of the provisional weeks are not now or ever will be available. By the way, the 2 weeks are still on the provisional list.

Troy F.
Feb 01, 2008

I agree. I requested valuation of 2 units and they are showing on the provisional listing. I did not accept either offer, both of which have long since expired, nor do I intend to. The units still show on the provisional list.

Allison B.
Feb 02, 2008

Don't worry too much, you are under no obligation to deposit provisional weeks and those provisional weeks will NOT automatically turn into an unwanted exchange (so I've been told). However, if you choose to leave the provisional weeks in the system, if you are notified, that an exchange is available, you will discover that the original value has probably greatly decreased. See various posts on the topic ‘Warning – Re Timeshare Exchanges’ in this same Forum (http://www.redweek.com/forums/messages?thread_id=10533)

Mike N.
Feb 11, 2008

I am also new to this site but this provisional week doesn't seem like a good way to go. I thought I could just let the owners know that I was interested in their week and find out if they were interested in a week we have. Years ago we belonged to a home exchange program. Their exchange system was much more user friendly then this system Maybe Reweek needs to have a look at how they arrange exchanges!

Barbara G.
Feb 11, 2008

barbarag197 wrote:
I am also new to this site but this provisional week doesn't seem like a good way to go. I thought I could just let the owners know that I was interested in their week and find out if they were interested in a week we have. Years ago we belonged to a home exchange program. Their exchange system was much more user friendly then this system Maybe Reweek needs to have a look at how they arrange exchanges!
============= There really is no method to advertise that you have a unit available for trade. I think RedWeek used to have an owner exchange program, but it morphed into the current exchange system. On the surface it looks like a good program, but it needs a lot more deposits and more consistency in their valuations to have it work. Under the RedWishes tab is a section for TIMESHARES WANTED FOR TRADE. You can browse that section to see if there are any interesting trade possibilities. Maybe the Sell & Rent section can be modified to Sell, Rent, or Trade. You can contact Redweek via email and they will answer promptly (they've always done so for me). I'm sure they've gotten a lot of suggestions, though I do not know if they are planning to implement any or when.

Mike N.
Feb 11, 2008

mike1536 wrote:
Maybe the Sell & Rent section can be modified to Sell, Rent, or Trade.

Mike, I yet to see any forum work for owners who just want to trade with another owner! I have stated this many times but to own a week and find another owner that has a week you want is like hitting the lottery. The ones that do probably have not booked a week then run around trying to get what other person wants.

This is why there are exchange companies and the few people that try this are just trying to not spend the exchange fee.

You can go check list on other sites that have it and still find couple owners on there and their ad is 2005-2006 and nothing ever happened.

I doubt Redweek would like this idea because that would just go against what they are trying to do with new exchange.

Their having enough trouble getting this thing moving without giving owners another way to exchange and no money going to them.

PHIL

Phil L.

Last edited by phill12 on Feb 11, 2008 09:36 AM

Feb 11, 2008

phill12 wrote:
mike1536 wrote:
Maybe the Sell & Rent section can be modified to Sell, Rent, or Trade.

Mike, I yet to see any forum work for owners who just want to trade with another owner! I have stated this many times but to own a week and find another owner that has a week you want is like hitting the lottery. The ones that do probably have not booked a week then run around trying to get what other person wants.

This is why there are exchange companies and the few people that try this are just trying to not spend the exchange fee.

You can go check list on other sites that have it and still find couple owners on there and their ad is 2005-2006 and nothing ever happened.

I doubt Redweek would like this idea because that would just go against what they are trying to do with new exchange.

Their having enough trouble getting this thing moving without giving owners another way to exchange and no money going to them.

PHIL

=========== Yea Phil, I agree. When looking at "trades wanted" it always seems to be for very specific resorts as opposed to a region and it seems to be one-sided, such as I want to trade my Orlando week for your Hawaii week.

Mike

Mike N.
Feb 11, 2008

barbarag197 wrote:
============== While it is not exactly all that you are looking for, you can go to the 'Timeshares for Rent & Sale' tab, find the resort in which you are interested, then on the right side of the page under 'I Want To' you can select to be notified of exchanges, rentals, sales, etc. If a potential exchange becomes available, you will be notified at which time you can deposit your unit to complete the exchange. However, depending on your unit, you may or may not have enough points to complete the exchange Mike

Mike N.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.