Point Systems

Sunterra Points

Apr 10, 2008

Any thoughts on Sunterra Points system

Kaye S.
Apr 11, 2008

kayes15 wrote:

Do you have a specific question(s)? The system provides a good deal of flexibility, but the biggest question is what are you buying and from whom. Are you buying a Diamond Resort from a developer? Are you buying a unit that is part of the Florida Trust whereas you can swap into one of 20 TS?

There are many questions of whether or not a purchaser of a resale unit can join Club Sunterra or not. Some say it costs an extra $3000-$4000 to join. This would give you the opportunity to book into the 100 or so Sunterra resorts world wide.

I've also felt the annual fees were higher than average. If you join Club Sunterra it's a 'base fee' of a few hundred dollars plus a per point fee. Please don't quote me but I think the per point fee was something like 7 cents/point (10,000 points would be around $1000/year). Other posters...please correct me if I'm wrong. Mike

Mike N.
Apr 18, 2008

mike1536 wrote:
kayes15 wrote:

Do you have a specific question(s)? The system provides a good deal of flexibility, but the biggest question is what are you buying and from whom. Are you buying a Diamond Resort from a developer? Are you buying a unit that is part of the Florida Trust whereas you can swap into one of 20 TS?

There are many questions of whether or not a purchaser of a resale unit can join Club Sunterra or not. Some say it costs an extra $3000-$4000 to join. This would give you the opportunity to book into the 100 or so Sunterra resorts world wide.

I've also felt the annual fees were higher than average. If you join Club Sunterra it's a 'base fee' of a few hundred dollars plus a per point fee. Please don't quote me but I think the per point fee was something like 7 cents/point (10,000 points would be around $1000/year). Other posters...please correct me if I'm wrong. Mike

I am currently an ower at Flamingo Beach. recently purchased by Diamond Resorts. I'm being urged to join the Club and convert to the point system. So far I have resisted because it requires an addition investment of serveral thousand dollars. I just want to know what others think of the point system.

Kaye S.
Apr 20, 2008

kayes15 wrote:
mike1536 wrote:
kayes15 wrote:

I am currently an ower at Flamingo Beach. recently purchased by Diamond Resorts. I'm being urged to join the Club and convert to the point system. So far I have resisted because it requires an addition investment of serveral thousand dollars. I just want to know what others think of the point system.

================== I sat through a Sunterra presentation and liked the system, but I thought the prices and MFs were too high.

With any Points system, you have the flexibility of shorter or longer stays, or extending your vacations by staying in smaller units.

They probably want you to buy a small points package of 2000-3000 points for $6000-$7000, correct. I find that's outrageous. You shouldn't have to "re buy" your week. If you want to convert, try to talk them down to a more reasonable figure.

Also find out how many Points they are offering for your unit. Ask for a copy of their directory so you can see how many points it would take for you to travel to where you would like to go. It doesn't make any sense to convert if you don't get enough points to take advantage of the flexibility. If they won't give you a book, I have last years book, so let me know how many points they are offering and I can give you a sampling of what you have available.

If you plan on using your home resort, and only do limited exchanges, then there is no need to convert.

Mike

Mike N.

Last edited by mike1536 on Apr 20, 2008 06:03 PM

Sep 23, 2008

Perhaps Secretary PAULSON could include Sunterra Owners in his proposal for releif

Donald D.
Sep 23, 2008

donaldd67 wrote:
Perhaps Secretary PAULSON could include Sunterra Owners in his proposal for releif

Sorry, such bailouts are offered only to greedy corporate entities --- not to just any Joe Schmoe on the street...

KC
Jul 19, 2009

well im very happy with it.i have another one at first cabin c lub arizona.not happy.if you are flexable on your dates this will work really nice for you.i have 12000 points and if i work it right i can get 8 to 10 weeks a year ya it 1200 a year but do the math,8 weeks x a 4 or 5 star a night.plus you can sell weeks if u like that sort of thing.i sell mine at 300 a week so if i sell 2 weeks my maintanance fees are just 600 sell 3 weeks they are just 300 not bad and still have plenty of weeks for your self.if i were retired i would buy another 12000 points.but that would be 16 to 20 weeks a year depending how you use it.i tell people dony buy a time share and have to throw down 4000 to 12000 to join just call me and i will hook you up for 300 a week any time.so i hope this helped you ron

Michele S.
Aug 04, 2009

I thought the Sunterra program was a worth while purchase 3 years ago when in Phoenix, Az. I should have known that the point system was NOT for me since I already had 3 Marriott timeshares for 10 years. The maint. fees continue to sky-rocket and the flexibility is nothing close to what was presented (forced on us) at the sails presentation. My questions are; how can I convince Diamond Resorts to take my unit back, how do I go about selling points to a current owner of Diamond resorts TS since they would stand to gain the most benefit of a purchase (trying to list on Redweek) and last, has anyone considered turning their purchase over to a co. known as timeshare relief services who claim to lift the burden of yearly maint. fees , etc.? Obviously this would be a huge loss and a lesson learned on my part. Thank you for any input that is provided.

Donald B.
Aug 04, 2009

donaldb42 wrote:
I thought the Sunterra program was a worth while purchase 3 years ago when in Phoenix, Az. My questions are; how can I convince Diamond Resorts to take my unit back

You tell them that you can no longer afford the rising MFs and ask them if they want to take back your deed. You chances of them accepting this offer is probably slim and none.

donaldb42 wrote:
how do I go about selling points to a current owner of Diamond resorts TS since they would stand to gain the most benefit of a purchase (trying to list on Redweek)
Do you own a deeded week or just X number of points in the Club. Did you buy in Scottsdale? That resort is one of the 20 or so resorts which is part of the FL Trust? If you resell, do you just sell the deed to your home resort and the ability to exchange into one of the resorts in the Trust. Redweek , TUG, and My Resort Network are all places to start listing your TS.
donaldb42 wrote:
and last, has anyone considered turning their purchase over to a co. known as timeshare relief services who claim to lift the burden of yearly maint. fees , etc.?
People have paid thousands of dollars to these "postcard companies". However, theses companies usually do not take ownership of the property, but instead have you sign a Power of Attorney allowing them to sell you property (usually for $1 on eBay). If the property is not sold, you will still be on the hook for all MFs and Special Assessments. Better for you to sell it on eBay for $1 and even offer to pay all or some of the closing costs. Tug and RedWeek also have bargain basement sections.

Mike N.
Aug 23, 2009

The Diamond points system, formerly "Sunterra" has flaws but is a better system than many admit. The salespeople are snakes, to be sure, so you must be vigilant, but very careful buyers who prefer shorter exchanges and making relatively late reservations can find value there.

One big advantage, to me, is the use of Diamond points to exchange through Interval International. You can book into top quality resorts at Marriotts, Westins and Sheratons, for less than the actual owners pay in maintenance fees. With Diamond, there is really no reason to own properties for exchange through Interval.

The best way into the Diamond system has been to make a small one-time retail purchase, as little as 3,000 or 5,000 points, and then have resale weeks you've already purchased simultaneously "upgraded" into the point system at no additional charge. That avoids the dreaded conversion fees.

I'm sure others have worked better deals, but back in 2007 I wound up with a 47,000 Diamond point package for a total investment of about $13,500. Retail would have been many times that. Today, I could probably do the same for $10,000 or less.

That is enough points for seven, ten or more quality exchanges through Interval or almost two solid months at Greensprings Plantation during the summer.

Kevin G.
Aug 23, 2009

You can no longer bring all of those other points from resale into the DRI system. They changed the rule for that in 2008. It is now substantially more. Also, with 47000 points you pay about $4888 in maintenance fees. I am not sure if you are a member in the club or not because that would then put you over $5000 in annual maintenace fees. The person would need to figure out at .104 per point what they can afford. I too love my DRI points, however the key to being happy is knowing how best to use the system.

Charles S.
Aug 27, 2009

charless345 wrote:
I too love my DRI points, however the key to being happy is knowing how best to use the system.
That's true with all timeshares. Instead of finding out how best to use their unit, many people regret their purchase and try to find out how to dump the TS or they end up getting scammed by a TS resale or postcard company.

I own three units (not DRI) which could get me 4-5 weeks or more of vacation each year. All for a maintenance fee of around $1200/year. Last year I was able to rent out a couple weeks for $1300 AND still have two weeks left over for vacation.

Mike N.
Dec 15, 2009

I ahve 3000 pts with diamond resorts " the Club" and dont know what to do with them. any advice?

J j C.
Jan 05, 2010

I did buy 3500 pts in 2009 for $10000$ plus $790MFs.I did not use it in 2009 but I was able to save 1750pts for 2010. In 2010 I paid $835 for MFs and was able to sell a 4000pts vacation for $865; so in 2010 I only have 1250pts available. There is nothing good to book for 1250pts. I can bet my MFs for 2011 are goin to be close to $930 and I will not be able to sell a 4000pts vacation to cover the MFs. I need tips to make this system to work for me..

Mary P.
Jan 05, 2010

To get the full value of your points you should be going on a vacation. You seem to have your points, but you are not using them to take a vacation. You can save up to 3500 a year. If you put together a couple of years you would have 7000 and that could get you a nice one bedroom during off peak times in many of the resorts in the DRI system or using Interval International you could get a nice week in other resorts.

Also, if you wait until under 60 days and have some flexibility you could get accommodations for half the number of points.

I would like at Diamond Selections on the DRI website. It has ways in which you can use your points in other ways. They won't be for the best value, but it will be better than losing them and getting no value at all. You can put them to your frequent flyer account if you want or toward your maintenance fees if you wish. In any case, I would save them and take a nice vacation.

Charles S.

Last edited by charless345 on Jan 05, 2010 08:57 PM

Jan 06, 2010

Club Sunterra is now Diamond International as of 3 years ago. I just went on a tour talk/sales presentation with Diamond Resorts International in AZ. The annual maintainenance has a base charge of $460 plus $0.11 per point that you own. I think that the fees are higher than average. There are 170 resorts in Diamond that you can exchange between. I am still confused on what you "own", a deed to a specific resort, or a % of ownership within the trust of 24 resorts. I am a weeks owner and will continue to stay a weeks owner.

Tracy B.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.