Timeshare Exchanges

exchange value

Jul 30, 2008

Is the exchange value different for a 4 star timeshare versus a gold or silver crown resort?

Janet H.
Jul 31, 2008

akajanet wrote:
Is the exchange value different for a 4 star timeshare versus a gold or silver crown resort?
=================== IMHO, the exchange value is based simply on supply and demand. A unit in a popular vacation spot during a peak demand period (i.e Florida during spring or summer break) will have a better excange value than a unit in a less popular area or during the off season. So a non-rated unit in a high demand area during peak season can have a higher exchange value than a rated unit. For example, with II, my summer non-rated NH unit trades better than my summer 5-Star unit in the saturated Williamsburg area. I've read of some non-rated, but highly popular, NC resorts that can exchange for Disney resorts.

The week color also has little to do with the exchange value. Florida is always RED, but April vacation is Bright Red (high demand), while the second week of January is more of a Pink color (less demand)

RCI and II ratings are based on guest comment cards and have no impact on exchange value. It doesn't take too many negatives to drop a rating. In fact there is a thread at TUG discussing RCI ratings.

Another thing to keep in mind, is the exchange companies also have filters which might prevent an owner of certain Gold Crown/5-start resorts from "seeing" non-rated resorts when trying to do an exchange.

Mike N.
Jul 31, 2008

akajanet wrote:

Resort rating by an exchange company is hardly a factor at all in determination of trade value. Location, seasonal demand and size of unit are much more important. Moreover, "ratings" can (and do) change in the exchange company directories. Even the exchange company rating systems and procedures can (and do) also change. Location, seasonal demand and unit size, not exchange company "rating", are the factors that matter.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jul 31, 2008 06:13 AM

Aug 14, 2008

I wish Redweek would drop the amount of points required to make an exchange when the time is fast approaching and the unit has not yet been exchanged. Kind of like marking merchandise down to move it quickly. I have been looking at resorts for next summer but a similar unit to the one I deposited would cost me an additional $500-$600 including the exchange fee, mostly because they were deposited far in advance of check-in. That's one advantage RCI provides over this method. My unit was used in June so I hope I find something before my 3 years is up. If I don't find something in the next few months, I probably won't deposit my 2009 week. I was anxious to try this next concept but I'm getting disappointed.

Brenda T.
Aug 25, 2008

shalley1 wrote:
I wish Redweek would drop the amount of points required to make an exchange when the time is fast approaching and the unit has not yet been exchanged. Kind of like marking merchandise down to move it quickly. I have been looking at resorts for next summer but a similar unit to the one I deposited would cost me an additional $500-$600 including the exchange fee, mostly because they were deposited far in advance of check-in. That's one advantage RCI provides over this method. My unit was used in June so I hope I find something before my 3 years is up. If I don't find something in the next few months, I probably won't deposit my 2009 week. I was anxious to try this next concept but I'm getting disappointed.
================== That's one of the reasons I haven't "taken the plunge". There seems to be no consistency in valuations. I submitted a unit for a valuation, and when I went to resubmit a few weeks later, the re-valuation dropped by almost 25%. Meanwhile weeks that were already deposited kept their point value until the last few weeks prior to check-in.

Mike N.

Last edited by mike1536 on Aug 25, 2008 08:44 AM

Aug 25, 2008

I can't speak for redweek, but I don't think it would be prudent for them to make a habit of dropping asking prices as time draws closer. There simply would be too many people lurking playing a game of chicken waiting for perfect deal. As for value of your week diminsihing as time goes by, it only makes sense. 25% is a huge drop, but there must be some date that things drop-off substansially. 1 month? 3 month? Don't know, but like other companies, depositing early seem s to be the key.

Dave S.
Sep 20, 2008

I question the value given I own a 1 bedroom 2 bath, when I questioned the points were the same for a 1 bedroom 1 bath I was told they do not count the bath only bedrooms & the number it sleeps. It seems to me a second bath is worth more, you certainly pay extra for it. I realize Redweek can not know all of the properties but here again I have two balconies and the one bedroom 1 bath has only one.

It makes me leary of trading as in some cases it is apples to oranges. I have heard horror stories from many who have traded.

Any way resorts can be reviewed instead of lumped together as being equal?

Patsy

Patsy D.
Sep 21, 2008

I cannot understand why anyone is 'concerned' about Points, Exchange Values, Whatever.... Why make something complicated when it is actually so Simple?

Solution: If you have a unit that that you may not need or want, offer it to the "Whole World" (through RedWeek) and use the 'proceeds' to supplement the cost of something you Do want. RedWeek's Advert/Membership Fee is VERY Reasonable so no need to add the $125 and angst of wondering if someone will trade (they too will have to pay the extra fee). Timeshares are "time Sensaitive", not like selling a used automobile or household furniture so you need to provide lots of "lead time" so prospects can compare and shop. KEEP it Simple...!

Donald D.
Sep 21, 2008

Points, Exchange Values, Red, Gold, Platinum, whatever are "MEANINGLESS" to Everyone except to the two parties involved with renting a Unit. Every Owner has made a decision on the VALUE of the unit they bought.... and are willing to accept from a 'renter'. Likewise, prospective renters make decisions on what they want/need to accommodate their vacation plans... (time, location, price, features, attractions, whatever). Make a DEAL, based on as much information as is Important to YOU and go for it!

Donald D.
Sep 22, 2008

It is FOOLISH to rely on information provided by ANY of the Exchange Companies. FEW of their 'employees' have ANY Personal Travel Experience and could 'care less' about your/our questions and problems. Most have NEVER been outside their own State... or county or town.

DIRECT Contact with an Owner (who has paid to advertise) is your best source of information.... ASK Questions... Negotiate,.... and ENJOY.

Donald D.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.