Jan 14, 2009

We own a timeshare week that we posted for rent on this site. As I was searching what other units at the same resort were selling for, I noticed someone else trying to rent out our exact unit and week! Before renting a timeshare week, get verification that the person selling you the week actually owns it. Redweek.com does not verify that the listings truly belong to the person who submits it. YIKES!

Ruth W.
Jan 14, 2009

ruthw38 wrote:
Redweek.com does not verify that the listings truly belong to the person who submits it. YIKES!

Redweek is merely a timeshare ad site and they have no control over ads listed by individuals, however you are indeed correct in that anyone renting from an ad should require some form of verification that the week/unit belongs to the ad owner AND that it's not an exchange from RCI or II. This is called 'due diligence' in the timeshare world. I would never outright rent without this information given to me.

Also, you need to send an email to Redweek concerning this issue (someone trying to rent out your timeshare) so that they can investigate (see contact Redweek below at the bottom of this page).

R P.
Jan 14, 2009

ruthw38 wrote:
We own a timeshare week that we posted for rent on this site. As I was searching what other units at the same resort were selling for, I noticed someone else trying to rent out our exact unit and week! Before renting a timeshare week, get verification that the person selling you the week actually owns it. Redweek.com does not verify that the listings truly belong to the person who submits it. YIKES!
===============================================

RedWeek is not responsible for verifying the ownership in any sale or rental ads (as is also the case on every other timeshare site in existence, by the way). To do so would be a gargantuan and unmanageable task. Frankly it's not the site's responsibility anyhow --- just as a newspaper is not in any way responsible for the content of ads placed by private parties in its classified ads section.

That said, isn't it entirely possible that a "one digit off" typo error (in either unit number or week number) could actually be the simple explanation here? I'm not saying that's the case (I know nothing about the unidentified ad reportedly at issue), but isn't it entirely possible that there is another explanation besides "fraudulent listing"?

As already stated, ownership of an advertised week should ALWAYS be verified directly with the resort by EVERY prospective renter. It would be interesting (and educational for all) to read some specific, follow-up details regarding this (so far very vague) posted assertion, in order for all to better learn whether the situation is, in fact, attempted fraud --- or perhaps just an innocent, one digit, typographical error in either a week number or a unit number. If it is attempted fraud, in order to better warn others it would be much more helpful and informative (and much less vague and mysterious) to identify the allegedly bogus ad right here, out in the open, right here in these forums.

Please provide some actual specific facts here beyond just vague generalities, as well as the ultimate resolution / outcome.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jan 15, 2009 01:23 PM

Jan 14, 2009

I am new to this site and was wondering what type of verification would an owner need to provide to a renter to prove they are indeed the owner.

Karen K.
Jan 15, 2009

karenk338 wrote:
I am new to this site and was wondering what type of verification would an owner need to provide to a renter to prove they are indeed the owner.

A smart and careful renter should first insist upon being provided complete owner identification information directly from the owner (i.e., owner name, address, phone number, specific week / unit owned). The prospective renter should then contact the resort to *independently* confirm for himself / herself that this information is a perfect "match" with the owner information reflected in the resorts' records. Remember that a resort will CONFIRM information which you have obtained on your own, but they certainly will not PROVIDE owner information (...as it should be, in the interest of protecting owner privacy). If the owner information you received from the owner and the resorts' own info does NOT match perfectly, this is a BIG RED FLAG, possibly indicating someone trying to rent out an "exchange" week which they have obtained through II or RCI (a practice which is clearly and specifically prohibited by BOTH of those two major exchange companies). Someone trying to rent out an exchange would never even actually know who the REAL owner of that particular "deposited" week is, so it's really very easy to quickly "flush out" any attempts at prohibited rentals of weeks obtained via RCI or II "exchange".

Owner verfication is a bit more complicated in "floating" week ownerships, since an owner of a "floating" week has to make a specific reservation FIRST before there is actually any information to be confirmed and verified directly with the resort. In those instances, legitimate owners will often obtain a reservation confirmation document from the resort, issued in the renter's name, on resort letterhead. Even so, it's still prudent to call the resort for independent confirmation of any and all such "documentation" received.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jan 15, 2009 01:25 PM

Jan 15, 2009

I did contact the other person, who did not respond. I also contacted Redweek.com, who also contacted the other listing. This listing has been removed. It may well have been the wrong digit, or week, which is what my first thought was. But when he did not respond, or remove the listing, I started this thread. As far as what someone should do, contact the Resort directly, find out what unit number you will get, and who owns it, before sending money to anyone. Ask the owner for references, of people who might have rented from them in the past.

Ruth W.
Jan 16, 2009

ruthw38 states in part (...but I respectfully and completely disagree with the suggested process, which I now quote below):

>>As far as what someone should do, contact the Resort directly, find out what unit number you will get, and who owns it, before sending money to anyone. Ask the owner for references, of people who might have rented from them in the past.<< ===============================================

As I have stated above in this same thread, no responsible resort will EVER just PROVIDE owner information to ANYONE (...just exactly as it SHOULD be, in the interests of protecting the owners' privacy). The resort can and will CONFIRM information, but they will NOT offer or PROVIDE ANY info (which is good and entirely appropriate).

A prospective renter should FIRST obtain all owner information (name, address, phone number, unit / week owned) DIRECTLY FROM THE ADVERTISING OWNER! Only then is it appropriate for a prospective renter to contact the resort for CONFIRMATION of all the information which has been provided by the (alleged) owner, in order for the prospective renter to VERIFY a perfect match of all details provided by the (alleged) owner. It is NOT appropriate and it is NOT reasonable for ANYONE to expect ANY resort to ignore or violate owner privacy by PROVIDING owner information details to any unknown Tom, Dick or Sally who just happens to call on the phone asking questions about ownerships. A responsible, competently managed resort will release ABSOLUTELY NOTHING --- they will ONLY CONFIRM AND VERIFY information actually PRESENTED TO them (...just as it should be).

As far as "references" go, I personally don't put much stock in that concept, since an owner renting out a week for the first time (common in this current economy) really has no references to offer anyhow, despite being a completely honest and trustworthy person. Furthermore, "references" can just be brothers-in-law or cousins or sisters of the owner, advised in advance to provide good (...but actually meaningless) "endorsements" --- and an inquirer would never even know the difference. Finally, even legitimate and real previous renters MAY NOT WANT to be bothered by unknown people calling them, asking about a private rental from a year (or longer) ago. Unless those renters previously and overtly agreed with the owner to voluntarily BECOME "references" for that owner, such unexpected inquiries can be (very appropriately) regarded as intrusive and unwelcome by those on the receiving end. That prior rental was, after all, a private transaction and NOT a public matter. Being respectful of people's privacy should ALWAYS be a VERY important consideration, particularly in an era when scams, identity theft attempts, etc. are a MAJOR (...and steadily increasing) problem in modern day society.

My opinion and viewpoint is that direct, personal communication and some personal conversation between owner and prospective renter is the key to a successful rental in which both owner and renter develop a mutual trust, comfort level and understanding with one another --- with minimal bothering or involvement of others who are not involved in the transaction at all. A mutually signed rental agreement then formalizes all of the details of that understanding and protects (to some degree, anyhow) ALL parties involved in the transaction.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jan 16, 2009 06:39 AM

Jan 16, 2009

Also, if a guest certificate is needed then that should throw up a big red flag as it would more than likely be an exchange from RCI or II which is illegal (renting RCI or II exchanges).

R P.
Jan 16, 2009

jayjay wrote:
Also, if a guest certificate is needed then that should throw up a big red flag as it would more than likely be an exchange from RCI or II which is illegal (renting RCI or II exchanges).

While this is correct (and was mentioned already in a preceding post), no conversation between advertiser / owner and potential renter should ever even reach a point where a RCI or II "Guest Certificate" even gets a CHANCE to be mentioned at all to begin with.

Specifically, if the advertiser is the legitimate actual owner, then the owner info voluntarily provided to the potential renter can be (and definitely should be) independently confirmed by the potential renter directly with the resort. If, on the other hand, the advertiser is NOT the actual owner, but is instead someone trying to improperly rent out an "exchange" obtained from II or RCI, then that improper advertiser *WON"T BE ABLE TO PROVIDE OWNER INFORMATION DETAILS* to the prospective renter, since such a non-owner advertiser would have NO KNOWLEDGE of the actual, real owner name, address, and phone number in the first place!

In short summary: If there is no owner i.d. info "match", no further conversation is necessary (beyond saying "goodbye") --- and no rental!

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jan 16, 2009 02:28 PM

Jan 16, 2009

Hi In the Wyndham System, even an owner has to obtain a Guest Reservation for anyone not on the deed to occupy the unit. Even family members who are not on the deed need a Guest Reservation if the owner is not present during occupancy of the unit. Stan.

stanleyf5
Jan 27, 2009

using redweek to sell your timeshare! I'm starting to look into selling our timeshare at Peregrine Townhomes near Houston, TX. I looked at the Redweek listings to get an idea of what others were trying to sell for, and I found a listing for Unit #34, Week 45 for $3000.

That's great, except that according to the paperwork from International Condominium Wholesalers, that's _our_ unit and week. We only bought for the RCI points, but this concerns me greatly. Any thoughts?

[Reposted from "Using redweek to sell your timeshare" thread. I apologize if this is against local etiquette.]

Jolhn B.
Jan 28, 2009

There is usually a unit and week listed on the deed. Even if it is for Points, there has to be a specific unit or unit type associated with the points.

You might only obligated to deposit your unit with RCI for the first three year of your ownership. After that you should be able to reserve a week at your home resort without going through RCI.

Mike N.
Sep 25, 2023

I am new to the site and sent my verification reservation to Red Week 3 times. They finally wrote this " Since we do not verify reservations obtained through RCI or Interval International, " . I don't understand this? anyone know why this is the case?

Billi Jo & Brent
Sep 25, 2023

There is a simple and straightforward explanation for the situation described in the preceding post. Both RCI and II strictly prohibit the renting out of any week obtained as an “exchange” from either company. This prohibition is very clearly and specifically stated in writing within the terms and conditions of membership of both exchange companies. Accordiingly, RedWeek cannot and will not ever "verify" any attempted rental of any week obtained as an "exchange" from RCI or II.

Stated another way, people cannot rent out a week they don’t own in the first place, but have gained access to as an “exchange” for their own one time personal use. A week that someone does not own is not their week to rent out --- it's that simple.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Sep 29, 2023 09:42 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.