General Discussion

Ripoff - Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Program - New Point System

Jun 25, 2019

dennish144 wrote:
Interval - The point is, there is less “good” timeshare availability using exchanges thru Interval. The result is my high value Marriott weeks will not be deposited to Interval.

My new strategy is to place good weeks for rent on Redweek and then use rent proceeds to rent what I want in or out of Marriott. Yes, Marriott has devalued Interval - maybe even killed It.

Points are the currency of the new Vacation Club program. However, using cash provides greater value, flexibility, and addresses our changing needs.

Yes, I am an owner of points and several platinum weeks. I’m merely looking back at what would have been better for us.

joya8 wrote:
I just traded for Marriott Waihohai in Kauai through II using my Marriott Hilton Head Shelter Cove which is certainly an excellent trade so I would say “ no” they aren’t taking the best trades for themselves...... Remember, using II someone has to give it up, for you to be able to get it and then you have to be at the right place at the right time asking for it before someone else makes the exchange. As for the person posting that they have tried 13 months ahead at 9 am to get into Maui for Christmas/NewYears.... those resorts were probably 90 percent sold out long before the point system, as fixed weeks. If you had bought a fixed holiday week there at $40-$50K I doubt you would be releasing it for trade or points either....therefore little to no availability.

There are still many who get their desired selections through Interval. However, it often takes longer than it used to. I am not surprised that there is less inventory within the system since Marriott owners have more access when it’s deposited because of the points system. There are pluses and minuses to the points system depending upon ones approach. However, what system does not have those pluses or minuses.

Charles S.
Jun 25, 2019

Yes you are right. HOWEVER, the salesmen at both Maui and Oahu BOTH stated that there would be lots of trades available because Marriott had stock in ALL resorts for ALL weeks. I didn't believe as most in Hawaii were SOLD OUT but my parents, and brother bought into it so went with it. Always the same reply AFTER purchasing, "Do you have it in writing:?? I'm a very skeptical person now as to all the people that get what they want when they want as it appears to be like winning a lottery if you do!!

klalaw
Jun 25, 2019

NO, The Nine Year Old Destination Program with Marriott is NOT a Ripoff.......I own six weeks with Marriott, and enrolled all six of my weeks to prevent me paying all the extra fees that I used to be charged for Locking off, exchange fees to I.I. and exchanging for Marriott Reward Points. The $200 per year that you are referring to is for "Club Dues" and it replaces what you would have been doing before. Gives you a new Corporate I.I. account you don't pay for, if you exchange to a any Marriott property thru Interval, now in your new account, you won't pay an exchange fee. I would much rather pay $200 a year to replace the $1500 a year I was paying prior to enrolling my weeks. As far as you feellike you are being cheated......REMEMBER, THAT NOTHING CHANGES WITH YOUR WEEKS USE. If you want to go to your home resort, you can still go in the seasonyou own, just book your reservation. EXAMPLE: I own some (3) Platinum weeks at Shadow Ridge, and I would receive 3075 points for each one, and IF I "ELECTED"points, then wanted to come to my home resort in Feb. or March, it would take 4000 points for a week. SO, I am not going to be stupid. I would simply book my week in Feb, March, or April and use it like I always have, for the full week......but, if I did "Elect" to get my 3075 points, you would find me using them at other destinations for four or five nights, or two or three, at a time, (as the Destination Program was designed to do) and I could (and I have) stretched those points into 12-15 nights in other locations......so Marriott has NOT RIPPED YOU OFF,

You my fellow Marriott Owner just don't know how to use the program correctly. Talk to Owner Services, have them help you or set you up for an Educational Webinar to properly learn how to use the precious ownership you own. Sure, if you book yourself on a "sales presentation" sometimes your might get the wrong information because they want to make a sale, but be proactive, Nothing has changed of how to use your ownership. Remember, "Informed Owners are HAPPY VACATIONERS, and Happy Vacationers Brag to their friends on what they own, and I bet you would end up buying more of those precious points. I've used them for many nights at various locations, taken advantage of the last minute Escapes, taken a 12 day guided tour thru France (merged points with another Marriott owner friend of mine) which saved me a lot of money from just paying for the tour like in the old days, about to take a cruise this fall with Destination Points, so please, get educated and enjoy your vacations. Kathy W. LaQuinta, CA

Kathy W.
Jun 26, 2019

You use the points system very well. Being retired I don't like the idea of planning 10 months ahead and hope to find the villa available. The only real value to my ownership was to go to Marco Island. Now I own a condo there so that's out. The other location that I go to is Aruba Ocean Club. Aruba already is not available anymore until June 2020. I'm sure soon all the vacation weeks like Labor Day, Thanksgiving will be unavailable the minute I have the opportunity to book within the ten month wait window. If Marriott was fair to the Club owners they would not also rent the villas to anybody. They do this in so many cases under the $1,500. plus $220. owners are paying per year. For example for 7 nights in September in Beach Race Towers, Fort Lauderdale, FL 1,276., September in Mountainside Breckenridge, $1,082., Grand Chateau, Las Vegas, $1,046., Manor Club , Williamsburg, VA, $769. Marriott should give villa owners an equal value to trade Vacation Club points to hotel stay points whereby if staying in Aruba villa per Mariott's sales people estimation is $500. per day. We should receive double the amount of stay time in virtually any other US location. We once stayed in the Marriott Mountain Valley Lodge Breckenridge, CO Memorial Day Weekend at $103.00 per day. Also almost any location in the US can be rented via Redweek listings for under the maintenance fees and never any assessments to worry about.

Michael B.
Jul 17, 2019

It’s a scam and that “owner” using all the right terminology and making the case for Marriott is 100% Marritott them selves. I am a former vacation advisor and I had to quit because of how I felt I was helping Marriott rip people off

Henry G.
Jul 17, 2019

henryg96 wrote:
It’s a scam and that “owner” using all the right terminology and making the case for Marriott is 100% Marritott them selves. I am a former vacation advisor and I had to quit because of how I felt I was helping Marriott rip people off

It’s not a scam. There are many people who vacation using their points. You may be a vacation advisor, but it does not make you an expert on using the system especially when YOU DON”t use the system. It’s like the timeshare salesman who don’t have a clue about the product but the basics and try to tell me half truths and sometimes outright lies. Despite that, I and many others are able to get a great deal out of the system. So I would advise you to stop your scam dribble. Come bring that onto TUG so us owners can school you. You’re obviously and unhappy, disgruntled former employee.

If you know so much come over and share your knowledge with us on the timeshare users group forum. You need to come with truth and not your opinion. If it’s a scam, you had better come with proof because there are lots of people who are having great vacations from this “scam:.”

Charles S.
Jul 18, 2019

Henry, I have been an owner at least 25 years and don’t consider it a scam at all. I bought a fixed week, a seasonal week and points that equal two weeks. I converted my first two weeks to be points eligible so all together, I have four weeks. Only ONE time in all these years did I NOT get what I wanted. I do feel much of owner unhappiness is not understanding what they bought and how to use it. I have sat in many a presentation where I am correcting the sales rep.....not sure if lack of education or just embellishments. I am only now getting to the point now where I wish I didn’t own as much as I do.....we travel a lot and I don’t have interest in using my timeshares in Europe, South America, etc....we have taken more than 50 cruises which we enjoy.....and Marriott exchanges for cruises are not a fair or good exchange in comparison to my maintenance costs. I did it three times when it came “ close” to being an equitable deal. Is it Marriott’s fault my interests have changed? Absolutely not. This year when I was too busy to use all my points, I gave my sister a week in Hawaii ( she is also a Marriott owner and booked another week following) and rolled the rest to next year when I will go back myself for the 11th time.......all thanks to my Marriott timeshare ownership. And just an FYI on the week I booked for my sister in Marriott Waiohai thru Interval using my Hilton Head fixed week....no request was submitted on exchange. I just went in, looked for what was available for a couple of weeks as inventory changes daily, and booked on the spot when I saw what I wanted. After I got the reservation, my sister went into MVCI and booked her adjacent days using points.

Joy A.
Jul 19, 2019

henryg96 wrote:

I agree with you completely, Henry. I was told many lies and have felt completely ripped off by the Marriott sales people. When I called one out at a meeting, they’d bring in another trying to convince me all would be well. No one explained how it really worked against me sending one after the other to try. The final one said I was right about what had been happening but too bad I needed to buy more points and use a Marriott credit card and all would be right with the world. Even told me I could get the property I wanted and was promised when I first purchased, at the time I wanted. After refusing to buy more points they told me I could go ahead and get the time and place if I paid monthly for a year. But, when I had paid over half the payments, suddenly the property was not available and the money was non refundable.!!!! The last straw was using points to rent where we wanted for 4 days. When we got there they gave us the worst villa in the whole place for half my yearly points. When I asked to stay the rest of the week, I was told there were no villas available for points, only for renters and I could rent for 800$ more a night. In other words, you get the worst property if you’re a points person and even though there is property available, they prefer to rent for the money instead of taking points. They have available villas but u must pay. I do not trust a single sales person at that company. No different from a slick used car dealer. There really needs to be investigations into their practices. Shame on them for treating people like they do. Henry, you may be the whistleblower we need to expose their shenanigans for sure. One more thing. I was told I could not sell my points unless Marriott approved the sale and they would not let me just sell it back to them. Also, my children would indeed inherit the same problems. I had no recourse. And in the beginning I was told I could come to the property as an owner since I lived an hour away, and I could use the locker room and pool because again I was an owner. But, when I took my granddaughter to use the pool for a day, you guessed it, that policy was changed. Couldn’t do it. One lie after another. Numerous times I asked to speak to the original salesperson and she was still working but never available and never returned my call. But when I gave her my thousands of dollars, she promised to talk anytime I needed to. Lies, lies, and more lies. My husband wants to hold up a sign at the entrance that says Beware! I agree.

Jenny F.

Last edited by jennyf47 on Jul 19, 2019 02:55 PM

Jul 19, 2019

jennyf47 wrote:
henryg96 wrote:

I agree with you completely, Henry. I was told many lies and have felt completely ripped off by the Marriott sales people. When I called one out at a meeting, they’d bring in another trying to convince me all would be well. No one explained how it really worked against me sending one after the other to try. The final one said I was right about what had been happening but too bad I needed to buy more points and use a Marriott credit card and all would be right with the world. Even told me I could get the property I wanted and was promised when I first purchased, at the time I wanted. After refusing to buy more points they told me I could go ahead and get the time and place if I paid monthly for a year. But, when I had paid over half the payments, suddenly the property was not available and the money was non refundable.!!!! The last straw was using points to rent where we wanted for 4 days. When we got there they gave us the worst villa in the whole place for half my yearly points. When I asked to stay the rest of the week, I was told there were no villas available for points, only for renters and I could rent for 800$ more a night. In other words, you get the worst property if you’re a points person and even though there is property available, they prefer to rent for the money instead of taking points. They have available villas but u must pay. I do not trust a single sales person at that company. No different from a slick used car dealer. There really needs to be investigations into their practices. Shame on them for treating people like they do. Henry, you may be the whistleblower we need to expose their shenanigans for sure. One more thing. I was told I could not sell my points unless Marriott approved the sale and they would not let me just sell it back to them. Also, my children would indeed inherit the same problems. I had no recourse. And in the beginning I was told I could come to the property as an owner since I lived an hour away, and I could use the locker room and pool because again I was an owner. But, when I took my granddaughter to use the pool for a day, you guessed it, that policy was changed. Couldn’t do it. One lie after another. Numerous times I asked to speak to the original salesperson and she was still working but never available and never returned my call. But when I gave her my thousands of dollars, she promised to talk anytime I needed to. Lies, lies, and more lies. My husband wants to hold up a sign at the entrance that says Beware! I agree.

Jenny F.,

I wish I could explain why the salespeople stretch the truth or outright lie. It used to be that Marriott was one of the few that did not have the high power sales pitches. Unfortunately, now they are as bad as any other timeshare company. If they were to let the product sell for itself, they’d be surprised. I guess the pressure for commissions and meeting quotas wins out over their integrity. This does not make one enthusiastic about buying from someone like that.

That being said, I wanted to help you understand a couple of points you brought up. You must remember that if you make a reservation and are able to book that is fine. You are entitled to that week. However, you must also understand that Marriott owns all of the timeshare weeks that it has yet to sell. Those weeks belong to Marriott. Just like you can rent or exchange your week through interval international, so can they. So when you are saying that Marriott is charging and cannot give you the room. They also pay maintenance for all of the unsold suites. That’s why they rent them out.

Secondly, your children do not have to inherit your timeshare. They can refuse it.

Lastly, Marriott does have the right of first refusal on your points or weeks in most cases. I you are going to sell your points for a dollar, they can buy it for the dollar first. In either case it does not negatively affect you because you get to sell it either way based upon the sale you agreed upon with the original seller.

I would highly recommend that you get onto one of the Marriott Facebook groups and learn more about the points program and how it really works.

Charles S.

Last edited by charless345 on Jul 19, 2019 11:37 PM

Jul 20, 2019

It would be so nice if all we think is true will work. Marriott will not make offers to buy back or rent the Aruba Ocean Club.. I argue then Marriott automatically declines their right of first refusal for the Aruba Ocean Club.With even owning timeshares at the Aruba Ocean Club the ability to book all the way through May 2020 is already gone. Looks like I will try to rent them at apparently not the best available weeks.

Michael B.
Jul 20, 2019

Thank you, Charles. I probably do need further explanation but I was definitely told that my children would inherit the points. No one mentioned refusal. What really bothered me about that was the fees and taxes every year in January that I pay now and they would pay after my death. I’m glad to know they can refuse to inherit. The salesperson didn’t say that. Also, the first salesperson who can’t be reached anymore said my level of points fees would be around 1000$ a year. They are over 2000$ the second year and goes up each year. No where close to truth. I can assure you I pay my part for the property I never can book. I’m just truly disappointed in the points program. I wish I’d bought s week instead but that option was no longer available. And to be clear, I’m extremely happy with the employees who work at the Marriott properties where I’ve visited. They are friendly and helpful and I have no problems with them. That was a big reason I bought to begin with. I even bought the bedding for home. I’m just disgusted by the sales approach and outright lies I was told. And I’m disappointed with myself for falling for it. I’m usually smarter than that. I trusted people who were deceitful and that was foolish of me. I learned a good lesson though. I’m glad for that.

charless345 wrote:
jennyf47 wrote:
henryg96 wrote:

Jenny F.,

I wish I could explain why the salespeople stretch the truth or outright lie. It used to be that Marriott was one of the few that did not have the high power sales pitches. Unfortunately, now they are as bad as any other timeshare company. If they were to let the product sell for itself, they’d be surprised. I guess the pressure for commissions and meeting quotas wins out over their integrity. This does not make one enthusiastic about buying from someone like that.

That being said, I wanted to help you understand a couple of points you brought up. You must remember that if you make a reservation and are able to book that is fine. You are entitled to that week. However, you must also understand that Marriott owns all of the timeshare weeks that it has yet to sell. Those weeks belong to Marriott. Just like you can rent or exchange your week through interval international, so can they. So when you are saying that Marriott is charging and cannot give you the room. They also pay maintenance for all of the unsold suites. That’s why they rent them out.

Secondly, your children do not have to inherit your timeshare. They can refuse it.

Lastly, Marriott does have the right of first refusal on your points or weeks in most cases. I you are going to sell your points for a dollar, they can buy it for the dollar first. In either case it does not negatively affect you because you get to sell it either way based upon the sale you agreed upon with the original seller.

I would highly recommend that you get onto one of the Marriott Facebook groups and learn more about the points program and how it really works.

Jenny F.
Jul 20, 2019

Something else. Henry said that person used all the Marriott message and was from Marriott. I’m absolutely sure of that, too. That line about “ you just don’t know how to use the points “ etc. I was told that by many salespeople but they couldn’t figure a way for me to get what I wanted either when they tried. They were so smart. Very patronising and arrogant remarks to make to a paying customer.

Jenny F.
Jul 20, 2019

jennyf47 wrote:
Something else. Henry said that person used all the Marriott message and was from Marriott. I’m absolutely sure of that, too. That line about “ you just don’t know how to use the points “ etc. I was told that by many salespeople but they couldn’t figure a way for me to get what I wanted either when they tried. They were so smart. Very patronising and arrogant remarks to make to a paying customer.

There is an old adage that is used about timeshare salesman. “If their lips are moving, they’re probably lying.” My advice in the future is to read the contract thoroughly when you get home or have an attorney read it. This way you’ll know what you really have and you can cancel before the rescission period ends or just don’t buy and come back later after you are sure. I know it’s too late for that now.

My suggestion for you is to try to book 13 months if you can and if you cannot try at12 months out because that’s when all of the inventory is released. I’m not sure what loyalty level your at, but you can get points discounts at 60 and 30 days. If you use Destinations Escapes, you can really stretch your points and travel to a variety of places. I would again recommend tug2.net. and go to the Marriott Vacation Club link. You will gain so much more information than any timeshare salesman can offer you. Talk with your fellow owners. The knowledge will play you have a more positive experience with your timeshare.

Charles S.
Jul 21, 2019

Charles, I appreciate your thoughts concerning this and I can’t tell you how many times I’ve thought to myself, “What in the world were you thinking?” I had used Redweek for years and was always pleased with the program. I never should have bought to start with. I am free of the points now! My child actually bought his mom a condo in the same area about an hour away from home and I can go anytime I want. And it’s bigger and better than the 2 villas I’d always had to buy through Redweek before to allow for the whole family. But I’m thankful you made the recommendations you have for others who might believe the lies. If I did sit in a sales office again, I’d take the contract home to read and have my attorney read it , too. I’d be wary of all the things they say because it’s much too good to be true and the points are so overpriced. I had paid in full since I don’t carry debt but I wish I’d gotten out before losing the money. Anyway I’m glad to be a former Mariott Vacation Points owner. Very glad.

charless345 wrote:
jennyf47 wrote:

There is an old adage that is used about timeshare salesman. “If their lips are moving, they’re probably lying.” My advice in the future is to read the contract thoroughly when you get home or have an attorney read it. This way you’ll know what you really have and you can cancel before the rescission period ends or just don’t buy and come back later after you are sure. I know it’s too late for that now.

My suggestion for you is to try to book 13 months if you can and if you cannot try at12 months out because that’s when all of the inventory is released. I’m not sure what loyalty level your at, but you can get points discounts at 60 and 30 days. If you use Destinations Escapes, you can really stretch your points and travel to a variety of places. I would again recommend tug2.net. and go to the Marriott Vacation Club link. You will gain so much more information than any timeshare salesman can offer you. Talk with your fellow owners. The knowledge will play you have a more positive experience with your timeshare.

Jenny F.
Jul 21, 2019

Your exchange was indeed, a great one, and FYI, Marriott is not allowed to take weeks out of Interval. Deposited weeks have to be given to other owners on an exchange. Yes the number of weeks being deposited to Interval is diminishing because the number of MVC Owners that are enrolled into the Destination program is now about 60% and the large majority of them are electing to get points for their weeks and use the points for the locations they want and get an "instant confirmation" for their reservation, rather than a long wait at times with Interval. I've done numerous exchanges over my 25 years of ownership (about 25 or 30+ pages if printed out) and there will always be owners that are not interested in using the Destination Program, or if someone purchased a Marriott week outside the system, they can only use I.I. for exchanges.....so keep trading.

Kathy W.
Jul 21, 2019

I have some friends that paid as much as $132,000 at Maui Ocean Club for a fixed three bedroom, corner unit. They actually don't use it anymore, but they trade it each year for about 15,000 Destination points and can actually go to Maui now for three weeks in a two bedroom......the points are more flexible. Remember, there was a lot of UNSOLD units in all the Hawaii properties that never belonged to anyone but Marriott Vacation Club......so that is what is now in the Destination Trust for us owners to get in when it seemed impossible before because too many of the weeks owners were not giving them up.

Kathy W.
Jul 21, 2019

Are you aware of the fairly new program that Marriott now has called "Destination Escapes" that you can book a 3 Night, 4 Night or 7 Night location within a 60 day period of travel date, for a deeply discounted amount of points, and no matter what nights of the week. I just booked a Guest Suite in Desert Springs Villas I with a 30 day notice. Normal points for a Thursday check in, Friday and Saturday would have been 490 points, but because of the "Escape" program, I only had to use 180 points for all three night. Heck of a deal, and let my two out of town friends stay there.....They loved it.

Kathy W.
Jul 21, 2019

Yes, it is true that Marriott has a lot of inventory in each of the properties, but they are NOT giving it to Interval, and feel bad that the salespeople led you to believe it would be available for and I.I. exchange.....Remember, I.I. is an exchange facilator and can only exchange weeks deposited by owners of the Timeshare Properties. Developers don't give I.I. any inventory, unless it is unsold inventory that I.I. then sells as a "Getaway" and most/some of the money goes back to the Developer.... They want people in their properties so they can book us on a Sales Presentation......

Kathy W.
Jul 21, 2019

I don't know what you mean about I'm 100% Marriott.....I've owned timeshare since 1979, long before Marriott got involved with it, and I've been a Marriott owner for over 25 years, I have over 19,000 points available to me if I "Elect" to turn in my weeks to Destination Points with my current ownership, and have sold three other weeks I owned through Marriott Resale.... I have cashed in over 7,000,000 Hotel Reward Points and enjoy the "travel packages with air/hotel" and yes, I HAVE TAKEN IT UPON MYSELF TO LEARN ABOUT WHAT I OWN, because of the financial investment I've made to my "401 Vacation plan". I have recouped my initial investment on all of my weeks at least four-five times over the years, including Maintenance Fees. I even rent some out on Redweek at times....Sorry, It is NOT a ripoff

Kathy W.
Jul 21, 2019

Thank you......it appears he was talking about me, and I responded to him. I'm sorry he does sound like a disgruntled employee and don't know if you can see how I responded.

Kathy W.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.