Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

What is the process for selling my timeshares in Mexico?

Nov 25, 2011

Hi,

I have 2 Mexico timeshares (Bel Air formally Playa-del-Sol Grande and Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay) that Im considering trying to sell. Not looking to make a profit, just have to many timeshares and want out of the maintnence fees.

What is the process? Paper work? There is no deed cuz they are RTU (right to use) The Playa del sol contract says "perpetuity", membership forever. Both are paid for.

If I find a buyer. What is the legal process?

Kris S.
Nov 26, 2011

You would list your timeshare ads just as you would list any other timeshare ad, but make it clear that it's an RTU and not a deeded timeshare .... go from there.

If you find a buyer then you would engage a reputable timeshare closing service such as www.timeshareresaleclosings.com (this is JRA service) or www.timesharetransfer.com or any closing company of your choice to handle the paperwork. There's a bargain basement ad site here at Redweek where many people merely give their timeshares away or sell them dirt cheap.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Nov 26, 2011 10:13 AM

Nov 26, 2011

Thank you. Now to figure out the closing cost......

Kris S.
Nov 27, 2011

kriss96 wrote:
Thank you. Now to figure out the closing cost......

If you access the two closing companys' websites, it should tell you.

R P.
Feb 04, 2022

is there a sellers obligation to pay a Mexican registration fee to tax administration services before the sale

Lyle G.
Feb 04, 2022

is there a obligation to pay registration to tax administration services before sale

Lyle G.
Feb 04, 2022

lyleg10 wrote:
is there a sellers obligation to pay a Mexican registration fee to tax administration services before the sale

No1 I'm guessing that this is something a scammer told you claiming that you have to pay this fee so that the scammer can sell your timeshare. That is a popular line used by scammers.

Lance C.
Feb 05, 2022

Lyle, someone called you and offered a lot of money for your Mexican timeshare. They said there wouldn't be any upfront money. Now they are coming up with government fees that have to be paid before the timeshare can be transferred. It's hogwash. Your timeshare is valuable only in the use it can give you. No one calls to buy Mexican timeshares unless they are trying to scam you. Any money you wire to Mexico will not come back.

John I.
Jun 03, 2022

I had someone call me also and after a lot emails and papers and a set offer I was told that I had to pay to have my timeshare property registered in Mexico and they deposited the money ( $6200) that I wired them for the closing to the sellers trust account with Citibanamex. I then was informed that I have to pay a touristic tax which is $17910 which my bank fortunately flagged. I spoke to the broker and he still says everything is Legit and he will speak to my bank if needed! I just got scammed out of $6200 didn’t I ?

Jill C.
Jun 03, 2022

Yes you did and if you read through the forums you will see how they will continue to demand fees until you stop giving them more money . Somewhere down the road you will be contacted by someone who claims they can recover the money you were scammed out of and guess who they are . Yep, the same scammers posing as someone who can recover your money . Take your loss and chalk it up to experience .

Don P.
Jul 10, 2022

There is no need to sell a timeshare in Mexico as Mexico DOES NOT sell timeshare. They sell vacation clubs. The difference is timeshares are deeded or trust properties whereas vacation clubs are just that - clubs. You own nothing. In fact, most of the timeshare companies that sell own any of the units. They simply rent out some of the rooms and call the resort a timeshare when it is a hotel. This is why so may families have problems getting in because hotel rooms are sold to the general public.

W. R.

Last edited by phyl21 on Jul 11, 2022 06:58 AM

Jan 12, 2023

I was told by Realty one associates that I have to pay 5700.00 for a foreign investors permit in order to proceed with the sale. Is this true

Eleonora M.
Jan 12, 2023

I was approached by Realty one associates in Boston, MA about selling my time share. Interested, but red flags. They say they have an investor, and sent me all the forms showing that the money has been deposited in a BBVA escrow/trust account. But now they say I have to pay 5700.00 for a foreign investors permit. Is this needed? a

Eleonora M.
Jan 12, 2023

I was told that i needed a foreign investors permit to sell a time share in Mexico, True

Eleonora M.
Jan 12, 2023

Hi,

Is this timeshare unlimited for life kinda of thing. I am trying to understand how to aquire an umlimited timeshare. Does anyone know?

Trace V.
Jan 13, 2023

eleonoram4 wrote:
I was told that i needed a foreign investors permit to sell a time share in Mexico, True

Nonsense. This is a scam, 100%. Guaranteed.

In the first place, you don't actually own anything in Mexico anyhow. All you have is a RTU (right to use), date-finite contract to use a Mexican timeshare property. The RTU contract likely has very little resale value, by the way --- maybe none. If it does have any value at all, the figure is certainly just a very small fraction of the $5,700 that these people want to "extract" (i.e., steal) from you.

Put your running shoes on, lace them up, and then very quickly sprint off in the opposite direction. Otherwise, you will be unwisely parting with money that will promptly disappear, never to be seen again --- and you will still have your unwanted RTU contract.

Forewarned is forearmed.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jan 14, 2023 04:40 AM

Jan 13, 2023

eleonoram4 wrote:
I was approached by Realty one associates in Boston, MA about selling my time share. Interested, but red flags. They say they have an investor, and sent me all the forms showing that the money has been deposited in a BBVA escrow/trust account. But now they say I have to pay 5700.00 for a foreign investors permit. Is this needed? a

You were "approached"? What exactly does that mean? Do you really think that someone "approaching" you (unsolicited, out of a clear blue sky), can actually be legitimate?

Also, "investors" don't buy Mexican timeshare contracts --- not yesterday, not today, not tomorrow, not ever. Mexican timeshare RTU contracts are "a dime a dozen" and always worth only a tiny fraction of what people originally paid for them. Many are worth nothing at all in the resale market. Mexican RTU timeshare contracts would be bad investments by any and every possible standard or measure. There is no investor, but there IS a hungry scammer looking to steal your money with this fairy tale. Enough said.

Don't fall for this nonsense, or you'll just end up being fleeced. There is an old saying that "a fool and his money are soon parted". Don't prove it to be true by falling for a scam.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jan 14, 2023 11:50 AM

Jan 13, 2023

tracev wrote:
Is this timeshare unlimited for life kinda of thing. I am trying to understand how to aquire an umlimited timeshare. Does anyone know?

Say what? Some timeshares are owned "in perpetuity" (i.e., forever). Timeshare ownerships require payment of maintenance fees, usually annually. There are many different versions of timeshare ownership, each with its’ own unique details and nuances.

You need to do some serious research and homework before even considering entering into the legal and financial commitment and obligations of timeshare ownership. No offense intended, but it doesn't seem like you really have much of a grasp of the subject yet. I respectfully submit that you should acquire some actual knowledge about the various types and details of ownership before considering acquiring any timeshare. Spending some time and effort to educate yourself about timeshares by doing lots of reading on the Timeshare Users Group site (there is no cost involved) would be a good start. Good luck.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jan 14, 2023 11:57 AM

Jan 14, 2023

thank you, you confirmed what I expected. This "realtor" is very good, smooth and seems knowledgeable. But Red flags were raised for a number of reason, expecially the foreign investors permit. I also did some research and discovered the address they gave me for the bank is incomplete and the phone number is not the same as on the contract. Thankfully we did not sign the sales agreement,

Eleonora M.
Jan 15, 2023

eleonoram4 wrote:
Thankfully we did not sign the sales agreement,

Yes, that's great that you did not sign this phony sales agreement. Just a word of caution. You're now going to probably be getting a bunch more calls with the same "offer". These are all scams.

Lance C.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.