Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Cancelling or transferring at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach

May 18, 2021

We bought a timeshare in late 2008 at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach and in 13 years of owning it, we have not used it once! Does anyone know how PB conducts cancellations or transfers if possible. I'd rather give it back or even give it to someone that at least will use it better than we did.

Jason S.
May 18, 2021

PB will "cancel" it if you stop paying maintenance fees. You likely just own a membership and not a deeded property. The down side of doing it that way is that you will face a bunch of annoying collection calls and letters but those are usually just bark and not bite.

Just do not go paying any company or law firm that claims it can "cancel" or get you out of our contract.

Lance C.
Jun 08, 2021

If you did the above, would it go against your credit score?

Kathleen S.
Jun 09, 2021

kathleens679 wrote:
If you did the above, would it go against your credit score?

It's possible but not likely. There have been a few report credit score or ratings effects but not many. The one big thing to worry about is the collection calls and letters. Keep in mind though that those are usually ineffective and just annoying.

Lance C.
Mar 10, 2023

How about if i haven't paid off the timeshare yet but i want to get off. will it affect my credit score if i just dont pay the monthly?

Remon C.
Mar 11, 2023

remonc wrote:
How about if i haven't paid off the timeshare yet but i want to get off. will it affect my credit score if i just dont pay the monthly?

If you default on any loan, it is always possible that the loan default will be reported to the credit agencies. Not a certainty, but it is definitely possible. Less likely if the loan was initiated in Mexico, but still possible.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Mar 11, 2023 06:31 AM

Feb 06, 2024

if its deeded not 'membership', do these same responses apply.

Kate B.
Feb 06, 2024

friend has a deeded 'ownership' there. Unsuccessful in her attempt to sell it for literally pennies on the dollar. Will it be just the annoying collection calls and letters or will there be other issues to deal with. She has received a collection letter already after not paying January 'maintenance'. thank you for your attention to this! kate

Kate B.
Feb 07, 2024

kateb140 wrote:
friend has a deeded 'ownership' there. Unsuccessful in her attempt to sell it for literally pennies on the dollar. Will it be just the annoying collection calls and letters or will there be other issues to deal with. She has received a collection letter already after not paying January 'maintenance'.

If it's in Mexico, then it is likely just a membership or Right-to-Use (RTU). If that's the case, then likely the worst that will happen is that she will receive a bunch of collection calls and letters. It's extremely rare that they go to court or ding a person's credit score.

Lance C.
Feb 15, 2024

Hi Jason,

I'd be interested in purchasing your timeshare. Are you on the points system, or no? I could pay cash, if the pricing is right. You can reach me at 925 588 9194

Thx!

jasons806 wrote:
We bought a timeshare in late 2008 at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach and in 13 years of owning it, we have not used it once! Does anyone know how PB conducts cancellations or transfers if possible. I'd rather give it back or even give it to someone that at least will use it better than we did.

Scott M.
Apr 07, 2024

I am interested on your PB timeshare membership or ownership. You can call me at 503-329-9647 Thanks Marisol

Mari B.
Apr 07, 2024

marib42 wrote:
I am interested on your PB timeshare membership or ownership. You can call me at XXX-XXX-XXXX Thanks Marisol

It is not a good idea to post your phone number here in a Internet timeshare discussion forum for all to see (including potential scammers). Unfortunately, the topic of timeshares always seems to attract scammers, spammers and other assorted parasites.

However, my primary point in responding to your post is to point out that some Mexican timeshare operations impose transfer fees of several thousand dollars to effect the transfer of a RTU contract from one person to another. Make sure that you know the "transfer fee" costs (and who will be paying them) before you get involved with taking over someone else's "free" Mexican RTU contract. Even if the current contract holder is willing to "give away" their contract, be aware that the resort (not the current RTU contract holder) determines the cost amount of any mandatory "transfer fee" that might be required.

P.S. If you are responding to "Jason S." offering to give away his PB RTU, note that his post was in May, 2021 --- nearly 3 years ago!

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Apr 10, 2024 07:28 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.