Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Deeded Timeshare | Keep or Sell, Pros and Cons

Apr 26, 2023

Hello, My siblings and I (4 total) inherited a timeshare at Lagonita Lodge in Big Bear, California. It is deeded ownership, we each hold 1/4 share title as tenants in common. Our ownership in the property is 1/51 undivided interest. We have a 1 bedroom, partial lake view unit with one week per year during PRIME SEASON (January thru December and June thru August). Since inheriting in 2009, we have not used it, but continue to pay the fees, property tax, etc. We are exploring options. One of our family-members may want to take on full ownership (we'd transfer title into their name only) However, are curious if we can sell it, and what that process would be. Concerned about getting caught up in a timeshare exit strategy scam. Also curious if the costs to sell to an outside party would exceed the value. We don't know how to determine current value. Would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions. CP

Cheri P.
Apr 27, 2023

I do not know anything about this CA resort. I will merely note the unfortunate truth that very few timeshares have any significant value in the resale market. In fact, there are currently two separate 1BR Lagonita Lodge weeks currently being advertised on this very site, each listed for under $400 without selling. Attempting to sell could easily become a time consuming and ultimately unproductive headache, with little (or zero) financial return while you continue to pay fees for something that reportedly hasn't even been used at all in the past 14 years. All four current equal co-owners would also have to agree with selling and all four must be willing to sign a new deed as "grantors" to a new "grantee" (if / when you can even manage to find any such new grantee at all).

If one of your family members is willing to become sole owner, I would recommend promptly exercising that option. Of course, all of the other three co-owners must be in agreement and all three must be willing to sign (notarized signature) a quit claim deed as "grantors" to that one sibling. A reliable closing entity like LT Transfers in Georgia can take care of all deed prep and recording and resort notification details for you for under $300. I've used LTT many times myself as both a buyer and as a seller, but I have have no other affiliation with LTT other than as a satisfied repeat customer.

Do NOT for even one brief moment entertain getting involved with ANY so-called timeshare "exit / relief / escape" / rescue" entity. They are all thieving parasites. Numerous of them have been successfully prosecuted. They would charge you serious money and accomplish absolutely nothing --- except to let foreclosure occur in a year or two from now and then claim success, proclaiming "See --- you're out now! Just like we said!" (But....no one ever needs to spend a penny just to ultimately be foreclosed upon).

You should also contact the resort directly to see if they have an in-house resale program and / or a "deedback" option. Good luck!

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Apr 27, 2023 11:40 AM

Apr 27, 2023

Hello KC, Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my questions. Very helpful and much appreciated. We have contacted the resort in the past year and again two days ago and confirmed there is no resale department/program. I have another call scheduled with the "owner" - customer service director on 5/1 and will definitely ask if they have a deed back option. We are aware of the need to change title with a notarized quit claim if one of us wants to take over ownership. Fortunately I have title resources in CA that can properly handle and record the transfer should any of us decide we want to take it over. Great advice to NOT get involved with any so-called timeshare "exit / relief / escape" / rescue" entity. I've read many reviews which created concern, and which prompted my question. Appreciate the good luck/well wishes. Warm regards, CP

Cheri P.
May 04, 2023

I’m a Marriott deeded week owner. I was interested in buying another week on Redweek . What are my limitations with Marriott due to the secondary market. Any disadvantages? Am I able to still trade it on interval international? Not sure if this is a wise decision.

Chris S.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.