Timeshare Exchanges

"Provisional" RedWeek Exchange Weeks???

Jul 30, 2007

After a week away, this morning I checked the available RedWeek exchange inventory. In looking at one particular Florida location in which I was only mildly interested (Lehigh Acres), I saw several weeks offered as "provisional" exchanges (further described there as being offered subject to the owner receiving a "suitable exchange" in return) and having a "notify me" button to inquire further. These "provisional" exchanges appear as an entirely separate section, located under the "actual" available exchanges.

OK, RedWeek, please help me to understand.....

In an exchange system which already offers a "search first" capability, what exactly is the point or purpose of having such "provisional" exchange offerings? How /when/why has this feature now been introduced?

At least one inquiring mind wants to know more....

KC
Jul 31, 2007

ken1193 wrote:
After a week away, this morning I checked the available RedWeek exchange inventory. In looking at one particular Florida location in which I was only mildly interested (Lehigh Acres), I saw several weeks offered as "provisional" exchanges (further described there as being offered subject to the owner receiving a "suitable exchange" in return) and having a "notify me" button to inquire further. These "provisional" exchanges appear as an entirely separate section, located under the "actual" available exchanges.

OK, RedWeek, please help me to understand.....

In an exchange system which already offers a "search first" capability, what exactly is the point or purpose of having such "provisional" exchange offerings? How /when/why has this feature now been introduced?

At least one inquiring mind wants to know more....

Hi Ken,

The provisional weeks was added to RedWeek.com on July 14th. Provisional weeks were added partially in response to customer feedback that people wanted to try the system before committing their week to a deposit. We are unable to take an actual temporary "deposit" and then let the owner take that week back within 3 - 6 months if they can't find the inventory they are looking for, because it is likely that we will not have that person's week to give back to them at the end of that time. So, when an owner does a valuation, we ask them if they have this week reserved, and if they are interested in exchanging it, should they find a suitable exchange. If they say yes, this is shown as a provisional week. When you view the provisional weeks on the site, you can choose to be notified when the week becomes an actual "exchange week" available for booking. Behind the scenes, we combine the data of what you have & what you want in order to make matches that will facilitate a domino exchange effect. Provisionals are also a way of letting you see what other owners have that might be coming down the pipeline, to help you judge whether or not you'd like to participate in RedWeek Exchange.

Hope this helps explain 'provional weeks' a little better.

Thanks, Marty

Marty F
Jul 31, 2007

marty8084 wrote:
Provisionals are a way of letting you see what other owners have that might be coming down the pipeline, to help you judge whether or not you'd like to participate in RedWeek Exchange.

Marty

Marty,What is the reason that Redweek doesn't show us the points needed for the resort and units!

I understand listing all these resorts because it keeps everyone interested in the new exchange system.

If someone has interest in a group of these it seems that letting them know how many points they would need would help and speed things up!

Why wait to be notified about a unit then find its to pricey for you!

For the first time you show about twenty resorts I would have interest in but no idea of the cost to me!

You should already have the numbers because you have already told these owners how many points they would receive from RW.

Phil L.
Jul 31, 2007

phill12 wrote:
marty8084 wrote:
Provisionals are a way of letting you see what other owners have that might be coming down the pipeline, to help you judge whether or not you'd like to participate in RedWeek Exchange.

Marty

Marty,What is the reason that Redweek doesn't show us the points needed for the resort and units!

I understand listing all these resorts because it keeps everyone interested in the new exchange system.

If someone has interest in a group of these it seems that letting them know how many points they would need would help and speed things up!

For the first time you show about twenty resorts I would have interest in but no idea of the cost to me!

You should already have the numbers because you have already told these owners how many points they would receive from RW.

Hi Phil,

We really don't know the point value.

We put them up at the point of the valuation. So, we don't have a points value assigned. And if the owner doesn't deposit that week, the points value will change.

Thanks, Marty

Marty F
Jul 31, 2007

Thanks Marty! makes sense if you haven't issued points yet so you have no way to let us know what it would take to make this exchange!

I hope this works out but I really don't like this provisional list and think it will be little help to anyone.

First off how many of these owners already have this resort and week they are asking about.

It sounds like many of these owners are trolling the waters to see what bites and nothing more.

This doesn't seem fair to the owners your asking to trust you and make their deposit now and then get a exchange later.

As of right now you show all the good resorts and weeks on this provisional list and big drop off in the available list.

Also to keep this fair are you going to go by the sign on to be notified list date and give this family first chance to get this exchange when it comes available. I would hope you don't turn this into a speed dial contest every morning where most families wouldn't have a chance.

Your asking for members to try this new exchange based on faith and I hope they get rewarded by Redweek for their faith.

PHIL12

Phil L.

Last edited by phill12 on Aug 31, 2008 04:23 PM

Aug 13, 2007

phill12 wrote:
marty8084 wrote:
phill12 wrote:
marty8084 wrote:

Marty

Hi Phil,

We really don't know the point value.

We put them up at the point of the valuation. So, we don't have a points value assigned. And if the owner doesn't deposit that week, the points value will change.

Thanks, Marty

Thanks Marty, makes sense if you haven't issued points yet!

I think that by allowing people to do the provisional week option is not really fair to those of us who do submit our weeks for everyone to actually aquire. I think that if everyone just decided to take the plunge and actually deposit there week {including prime weeks, not just low season and shoulder season weeks} The inventory would become very interesting to all, and the exchanging would really take off.

Brian H.
Aug 14, 2007

I completely agree with the last statement about the apparent unfairness. If Redweek is going to follow this route then there should be more points given to those who fully deposit their weeks for everyone to acquire. On a side note, I am excited about the exchange program because it opens up a lot resorts to everyone.

Eddie B.
Aug 14, 2007

I was just reviewing Provision weeks for Marriott Maui Ocean Club and found 2 listings for Dec 2008.

Since Marriott only accepts reservations a max of 13 months in advance, how can these be "legal" reserved weeks?

-OwenH-

Constance H.
Aug 15, 2007

OwenH notes asks:

>>I was just reviewing Provision weeks for Marriott Maui Ocean Club and found 2 listings for Dec 2008.

Since Marriott only accepts reservations a max of 13 months in advance, how can these be "legal" reserved weeks?<< =======================================

I don't know the Marriott system (and I don't claim to). That clearly stated in advance, is it perhaps possible that the advertiser actually owns a fixed week at that specific resort? If so, then they of course know years in advance that their specific, fixed week is theirs to use (or exchange) for that week EVERY year.

As an example possible explanation, Eagles Nest (in Stateline Nevada, So. Lake Tahoe area --- a Perennial Vacation Club facility) comes immediately to mind. At that facility, most PVC "members" have access only via a "right to use" PVC membership. Yet, at the very same time, there are indeed folks at Eagles Nest who actually own deeded, fixed weeks, which they owned under the previous resort ownership (i.e., before Perennial Vacation Club bought and took over the facility). In that instance (and maybe in the one you're questioning??) there are actually deeded, fixed week owners at a facility where most of the other RTU "ownerships" are NEITHER deeded NOR fixed weeks.

Just a thought, offered as a possible explanantion to consider. Only the actual advertiser really knows.....

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Aug 15, 2007 12:08 PM

Aug 15, 2007

>>That clearly stated in advance, is it perhaps possible >>that the advertiser actually owns a fixed week at >>that specific resort? If so, then they of course know >>years in advance that their specific, fixed week is >>theirs to use (or exchange) for that week EVERY yr.

THANKS KEN. I FORGOT ALL ABOUT FIXED WEEKS. -OwenH-

Constance H.
Aug 15, 2007

owenh wrote:
I was just reviewing Provision weeks for Marriott Maui Ocean Club and found 2 listings for Dec 2008.

Since Marriott only accepts reservations a max of 13 months in advance, how can these be "legal" reserved weeks?

-OwenH-

They may not be. We rely on our members to be truthful when submitting a valuation and stating that they have the week reserved. When the member actually goes to deposit them, if they don't have a reservation, they won't be able to complete the deposit.

Thanks, Marty

Marty F
Aug 27, 2007

marty8084 wrote:
owenh wrote:

Since Marriott only accepts reservations a max of 13 months in advance, how can these be "legal" reserved weeks? - OwenH-

They may not be. We rely on our members to be truthful when submitting a valuation and stating that they have the week reserved. When the member actually goes to deposit them, if they don't have a reservation, they won't be able to complete the deposit. - Thanks, Marty

Marriott Maui sells (or sold) weeks 51 and 52 as platinum plus fixed weeks. Those owners know what week they have every year, and therefore can commit to RedWeek they own that week. I am not sure whether or not they can pay their fees in advance and deposit their units in advance to exchange companies.

Marriott also sold a handfull of floating weeks 51 and 52. Those weeks are grandfathered in and the owners can reserve any week on the year. However, 96% of all Marriott Maui owners can only book weeks 1-50. It is true that multiple week owners acn book 13 months out if booking simultaneous or contiguous weeks.

Example: If you own 20 weeks of Marriott Maui units, you can theorectically book your first week 13 months in advance and then book every week contiguous to that one. That could possibly put you 18 months out on your bookings.

This is a huge perk that Marriott owners of multiple weeks has over single week owners.

Here's a loophole. You can own 19 cheap platinum weeks and 1 expensive platinum week. You could then push your expensive week out 18 months. This is not likely but possible.

Believe me, there are many people who own dozens of weeks at places like Marriott Maui.

Hope that helps.

Terry

Terry H.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.