Timeshare Exchanges

Redweek T/s Exchange - need to pay MF's in advance?

Aug 13, 2007

We have owned our timeshare weeks for only a few years, and so far we have always used our own weeks and have never exchanged. I do, however, very much like the look of Redweek's new exchange programme in the event that we might want to do some exchanges in the future.

My question is - to deposit our weeks with Redweek, would we have to pay up our maintenance fees in advance for the week(s) in question? I understand that this is not always necessary with RCI, for example.

Grateful for any input.

Pete

Peter W.
Aug 13, 2007

Good question!

R P.
Aug 14, 2007

peter685 wrote:
We have owned our timeshare weeks for only a few years, and so far we have always used our own weeks and have never exchanged. I do, however, very much like the look of Redweek's new exchange programme in the event that we might want to do some exchanges in the future.

My question is - to deposit our weeks with Redweek, would we have to pay up our maintenance fees in advance for the week(s) in question? I understand that this is not always necessary with RCI, for example.

Grateful for any input.

Pete

Hi Peter,

Maintenance fees and assessments must be current through the date of the deposited week. We will confirm this with the resort when you deposit and may retract the assigned point values and reverse any commitments for exchanges made using the points received.

What you can do is call your resort and request an estimate for the 2008 maintenance fees. Then you can go ahead and pre-pay those fees, and we will be able to complete the deposit.

Thanks, Marty

Marty F
Aug 14, 2007

Thanks for the response, Marty.

Well, I know I've got to pay those maintenance fees sometime, but it would just be a bit of a pain to have to pay them so early!

I presume from what you say that the early payment is a requirement of the exchange company (ie Redweek) rather than the resort? I understand that I can deposit my 2008 week with RCI without paying 2008 maintenance until it becomes due.

Pete

Peter W.
Aug 15, 2007

peter685 wrote:

Well, I know I've got to pay those maintenance fees sometime, but it would just be a bit of a pain to have to pay them so early!

I presume from what you say that the early payment is a requirement of the exchange company (ie Redweek) rather than the resort? I understand that I can deposit my 2008 week with RCI without paying 2008 maintenance until it becomes due.

Pete

It's actually up to the resort where you own whether or not maintenance fees have to be prepaid in order to deposit a week with RCI. With the nine timeshares we owned, only 1 resort did not require maintenance fees to be paid before deposit, the other 8 required prepaid maintenance fees before depositing.

R P.
Aug 15, 2007

jayjay wrote:
peter685 wrote:

Pete

It's actually up to the resort where you own whether or not maintenance fees have to be prepaid in order to deposit a week with RCI. With the nine timeshares we owned, only 1 resort did not require maintenance fees to be paid before deposit, the other 8 required prepaid maintenance fees before depositing.

That's interesting.

I'm still not sure about all the politics involved here, though. As far as depositing with Redweek is concerned (as opposed to depositing with RCI), is it still the resort which dictates whether M/fs have to be paid before deposit? Or is it Redweek? The resort in question where I own is Orange Lake Country Club, Orlando. I understand I can deposit my OLCC week with RCI without having to pay M/fs until they are due. From what Marty said, it looks like if I go with Redweek I have to pay in advance. Why the difference?

Pete

Peter W.

Last edited by peter685 on Aug 15, 2007 02:18 PM

Aug 15, 2007

peter685 wrote:

Pete

Hi Pete,

We cannot take ownership of the week if the maintenance fee hasn't been paid. That's a resort rule, so it has to be our rule in order for the exchange program to work.

Thanks, Marty

Marty F
Aug 16, 2007

marty8084 wrote:
peter685 wrote:

Pete

Hi Pete,

We cannot take ownership of the week if the maintenance fee hasn't been paid. That's a resort rule, so it has to be our rule in order for the exchange program to work.

Thanks, Marty

Thanks Marty, but, again, when you say it's a "resort rule", why is the "rule" different where RCI is the exchange company? Not sure what I'm missing here.....

Pete

Peter W.
Aug 16, 2007

From what marty stated, Redweek cannot take ownership of the week until maintenance fees are paid. All exchange companies have their own rules and prepaid maintenance fees is merely a Redweek requirement.

R P.
Aug 16, 2007

jayjay wrote:
From what marty stated, Redweek cannot take ownership of the week until maintenance fees are paid. All exchange companies have their own rules and prepaid maintenance fees is merely a Redweek requirement.

But Marty actually said it was a 'resort rule'. So I'm still a bit puzzled here.

Pete

Peter W.

Last edited by peter685 on Aug 16, 2007 01:40 PM

Aug 16, 2007

peter685 wrote:
jayjay wrote:

But Marty actually said it was a 'resort rule'. So I'm still a bit puzzled here.

Pete

Hi Pete,

I emailed:

The Family of Orange Lake Resorts 8505 W Irlo Bronson Memorial Hwy Kissimmee, FL 34747

This is their reply:

Thank you for your inquiry. Yes, maintenance and tax must be current in order for Orange Lake to release the week to an exchange company.

Please let us know if we can assist you further

Sincerely,

Orange Lake Reservations The Family of Orange Lake Resorts 8505 W Irlo Bronson Memorial Hwy Kissimmee, FL 34747 PH : 407-239-0000, Ext. 16075 FX: 407-239-5119 Toll Free : 888-657-3529

Hope this helps, Pete.

Marty

Marty F
Aug 17, 2007

marty8084 wrote:
peter685 wrote:
jayjay wrote:

Pete

Hi Pete,

I emailed:

The Family of Orange Lake Resorts 8505 W Irlo Bronson Memorial Hwy Kissimmee, FL 34747

This is their reply:

Thank you for your inquiry. Yes, maintenance and tax must be current in order for Orange Lake to release the week to an exchange company.

Sincerely,

Orange Lake Reservations The Family of Orange Lake Resorts 8505 W Irlo Bronson Memorial Hwy Kissimmee, FL 34747 PH : 407-239-0000, Ext. 16075 FX: 407-239-5119 Toll Free : 888-657-3529

Hope this helps, Pete.

Marty

Yes, Marty, it does help, thankyou! I'm getting there.

I would be interested to know, however, exactly what you asked Orange Lake in your email. The reason being that in their response, they say that maintenance and tax must be "current". To me, "current" means "up to date", not necessarily "in advance". The specific wording of your enquiry would probably clarify this for me.

Thanks again.

Pete

Peter W.
Aug 17, 2007

peter685 wrote:
But Marty actually said it was a 'resort rule'. So I'm still a bit puzzled here. Pete

My take on it is that it's OLCC's rule that one DOES NOT have to pay their maintenance fees before depositing into RCI, however one DOES have to pay their maintenance fees in order to deposit into Redweek.

I really don't see how OLCC can allow owners to deposit into RCI before maintenance fees are paid. I know they do it (we once owned there), but I don't understand why since many things can happen after a week is deposited without maintenance fees being paid.

R P.
Aug 17, 2007

peter685 wrote:

I would be interested to know, however, exactly what you asked Orange Lake in your email. The reason being that in their response, they say that maintenance and tax must be "current". To me, "current" means "up to date", not necessarily "in advance". The specific wording of your enquiry would probably clarify this for me.

Pete

Pete we have made our trade with II for 2008 and we do not pay 2008 MF until Jan 2008 so from what you are saying about RCI this must be a rule that Redweek put in them selves!

If you are having this many doubts maybe you should listen to that little voice talking to you!

You might be better off making your deposit with your trading company and play it safe! Redweek is still new at this exchange and seem to have changes going !

I was going to try but backed off and went back to II and will be in Maui in 2008!

Redweek now has many Hawaii resorts listed on a list that means nothing until the owner gets what they want which in most cases will not happen. We decided we didn't want to wait for one of these units to possible make to the available list and then figure out who will get the unit. Lets face it that when a good Hawaii unit does come available there will be more than one member being notified of this so who gets it! I would like to hear this question answered!

We are set and know where and when we will be in Maui and and this only took few weeks!

As they say in sports the best trade sometimes is the trade not made!

Phil L.
Aug 17, 2007

peter685 wrote:
marty8084 wrote:
peter685 wrote:
jayjay wrote:

Pete

Hi Pete,

I emailed:

This is their reply:

Sincerely,

Hope this helps, Pete.

Marty

Yes, Marty, it does help, thankyou! I'm getting there.

Thanks again.

Pete

My question to them was "To deposit a week owned at Orange Lake, Orlando with an exchange company are the maintenance fees to be prepaid first?"

You can always contact the resort too and ask them if it's their rule or the exchange companies rule. I didn't say what exchange company in my email so I'm assuming it should be the same no matter who you exchange with.

Thanks, Marty

Marty F
Aug 17, 2007

Ok, Marty, thanks for that.

The position seems pretty clear from O/L's response, ie m/fs need to be paid in advance, although as I think I said before this seems to conflict with info I received elsewhere. I think I'll do as you suggest and try and get further clarification on that from the resort.

Thankyou again.

Pete

Peter W.
Sep 05, 2007

Well, it seems that sometimes it can take a while to get the unambiguous facts!

I have spent the last couple of weeks exchanging phone calls and emails with Resort Services at Orange Lake.

The bottom line - and I have this both verbally and in writing by email - is that Orange Lake does not require payment of maintenance fees and taxes in advance when an owner deposits a week with an exchange company, no matter who the exchange company is.

They do require m/fs and taxes to be "current", meaning that they have to be paid up to date for the current year, (i.e., as of now, 2007) before releasing the week to the exchange company. This, I believe, is actually what they were saying in their reply to Marty's enquiry.

So, as it is not a Resort Rule, will Redweek accept my Orange Lake weeks into their exchange system without requiring that I pay my maintenance fees and taxes in advance?

Pete

Peter W.

Last edited by peter685 on Sep 05, 2007 03:39 AM

Sep 05, 2007

peter685 wrote:

I have spent the last couple of weeks exchanging phone calls and emails with Resort Services at Orange Lake.

The bottom line - and I have this both verbally and in writing by email - is that Orange Lake does not require payment of maintenance fees and taxes in advance when an owner deposits a week with an exchange company, no matter who the exchange company is.

They do require m/fs and taxes to be "current", meaning that they have to be paid up to date for the current year, (i.e., as of now, 2007) before releasing the week to the exchange company. This, I believe, is actually what they were saying in their reply to Marty's enquiry.

So, as it is not a Resort Rule, will Redweek accept my Orange Lake weeks into their exchange system without requiring that I pay my maintenance fees and taxes in advance?Pete

I once owned at Orange Lake and you are correct that maintenance fees do not have to be paid before depositing into RCI, but evidently they do have to be paid in order to deposit into Redweek. It seems to be Redweek's rule, not Orange Lake's. Different exchange companies have different rules.

R P.
Sep 05, 2007

jayjay wrote:
peter685 wrote:

So, as it is not a Resort Rule, will Redweek accept my Orange Lake weeks into their exchange system without requiring that I pay my maintenance fees and taxes in advance?Pete

I once owned at Orange Lake and you are correct that maintenance fees do not have to be paid before depositing into RCI, but evidently they do have to be paid in order to deposit into Redweek. It seems to be Redweek's rule, not Orange Lake's. Different exchange companies have different rules.

Exactly, Jayjay! But as I've pointed out before in this thread, Marty says that it is only Redweek's requirement because it is a resort rule, which I have now found out it isn't.....

Pete

Peter W.
Sep 05, 2007

peter685 wrote:

I've pointed out before in this thread, Marty says that it is only Redweek's requirement because it is a resort rule, which I have now found out it isn't.....

Pete

Pete this is what I stated in my earlier post!

Our resort collects in Jan and you do not need to pay 2008 to deposit your unit with II . We don't pay until Jan 10,2008 but have already traded for Maui in 2008.

There are resorts that probably require you are paid in advance to trade your unit but from what I can see this is a Redweek issue .

No need for Redweek to pass the buck with all this resort rules bull. Just state it is a Redweek rule and leave it there.

Phil L.

Last edited by phill12 on Sep 05, 2007 10:19 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.