Travel Tips & Advice

Which Island

Jan 16, 2008

My family and I are planning a trip to Hawaii in June...Doing research on the islands is getting overwhelming......We have a 3 year old that will be traveling with us. I am trying to find the perfect place for all of us. We are not the night life people So I am going for quiet with some daytime activities.....Nice beaches are a must....I think I am leaning toward Maui...then where on Maui? North, East, West, South...I don't have a clue.....Does anyone have any advice?

Teresa F.
Jan 21, 2008

Hi!

I just returned from Hawaii, but I did not visit Maui, so I can't offer any opinion on that island.

I can say that the Honolulu, Oahu area is busy and crowded. A 3-year-old is too young to appreciate history, so I wouldn't recommend going there.

The other island I visited was Kauai. I'd say that's a great place to go if you just want to relax, as the island has plenty of nature areas and low-key beaches. But other than sports stuff and the obligatory luaus, there are not many activity-type options on Kauai.

I hear Maui's great for scuba diving, so I'll probably go there next time ... but right now I'm as clueless as you. Sorry.

Hope you figure it all out!

Mack F

Mack F.
Jan 22, 2008

We are owners at the Marriott's Maui Ocean Club on Maui and we love the area! We have been going to Maui for 14 yrs ~ with our kids since they were pre-teen age. Our resort is on the south end of Kaanapali' beach. It is about 1 mile into Lahaina town for shopping/groceries(Safeway-get a discount card at the CS desk to save $$$!). We use Pacific Whale Foundation for booking our offshore activities and have always been very happy with them. Before we bought at the MOC, we spent one trip in the Kihei area. Very nice there, but to us a bit more congested than thesouth end Kaanapali area. Kaanapali beach is "split" into 2 areas...one North of Black Rock (this area is very congested with condos!!) and the area south of Black Rock (where the Sheraton Resort is...very nice!) which still has lots of condo's/resorts but just a bit more spread out. Whaler's Village shopping area is on this end with good restaurants. We spent a week on Kauai 2 yrs ago..beautiful but smaller and quieter. The south shore (Poipu) area is good for beaches and a bit more sunny it seems.

Good luck with your plans! Aloha.... Candy

Candice and John M.
Jan 22, 2008

P.S...the East shore of Maui (Kahalui area) can be very windy and the beaches are not as nice as the West side of the Island. Candy

Candice and John M.
Jan 22, 2008

teresaf61 wrote:
My family and I are planning a trip to Hawaii in June...Doing research on the islands is getting overwhelming......We have a 3 year old that will be traveling with us. I am trying to find the perfect place for all of us. We are not the night life people So I am going for quiet with some daytime activities.....Nice beaches are a must....I think I am leaning toward Maui...then where on Maui? North, East, West, South...I don't have a clue.....Does anyone have any advice?

We are going back to Maui Kaanapali area May 23,2008 and love this area. This will be our fourth time to stay on this side of Maui,twice condo's and twice in beautiful hotels.

We stayed with friends years ago in Kihei at Maui Lea at Maui Hill and had very good time but found ourselves driving over to Lahania and Kaanapali four days out of seven.

We love the town of Lahania and spend hours just walking around,having lunch and dinner and shopping .

We spent long week on Hawaii in a friends condo,not timeshare and after two days was totally bored.

We spent one week in Kauai at a timeshare and its a beautiful island. We went back with our daughters sixteen and under team and played in a 18 under softball(fast pitch) Tournament and spent nine days there so have seen and done about everything.

If your choice is fun for family then always Maui and beauty would be Kauai.

While in Maui one year we booked small plane and flew to Honolulu to see Pearl Harbor and other sights and spent day there. I don't think I would want to spend week there because its as crowded as being home.

Good Luck and what ever your choice just enjoy your vacation. PHIL

Phil L.
Jan 28, 2008

I recommend Kauai or Maui. For Kauai I would stay in Poi Pu (less rain) and day trip from there. The beaches and golf in Kuaui are top notch as is the sightseeing and outdoor activities- night life is sparse. For Maui I would stay on the northwest coast Lahina/Kannapali/Kapalua area where most of the activity takes place.

Mark S.
Feb 16, 2008

teresaf61 My family and I are planning a trip to Hawaii in June...Doing research on the islands is getting overwhelming......We have a 3 year old that will be traveling with us. I am trying to find the perfect place for all of us. We are not the night life people So I am going for quiet with some daytime activities.....Nice beaches are a must....I think I am leaning toward Maui...then where on Maui? North, East, West, South...I don't have a clue.....Does anyone have any advice?[/Q!

Go to the Big Island and stay in Kona. Kona has great shopping, lots of neat restaurants and several golf courses. The best thing about the Big Island is that there are sooo many things to do and it is much less touristy and expensive as Maui. Volcanoes National Park is amazing and you may be able to hike to the lava flow, but at the very least, you can do short hikes in the rain forest or the lava tubes. Hapuna beach is 45 minutes away and is always rate as one of the Top 10 beaches in the US--1/2 mile wide and the best view of whales right from the beach--although there aren't very many in June. Good luck w/your decision. Kathy

Kathy K.
Feb 16, 2008

teresaf61 wrote:
P.S. GEt the Blue Book for whichever island you decide on--it is the best guide you could buy b/c its very honest and gives you lots of cost saving options! Kathy

Kathy K.
Mar 24, 2008

We travel in the fall to the islands- we stayed at the Wyndym resort at the Beach Walk.. brand new & beautiful In Waikiki Beach Oahu. We brought our two year old & 14 yr old daughter. Please do not give up on this place. We had 10 days and not enough time to do everything we wanted. Hanauma Bay for snorkeling was our absolute favorite. Also the Dole plantation. Wakiki has so much energy and aloha spirit. If you go to the Big Island I recommend Kona, wonderful snorkeling and sea turtles. Also recommend Lahaina for Maui. We can't wait to go again....

Cynthia H.
Aug 11, 2008

I love to play in beaches i just forgot all the things while playing over there . Waikiki Beach hotels offer a secure and friendly atmosphere for a wonderful family vacation in Waikiki Beach. Waikiki Beach, one of the most popular tourist spots, is located on the south shore of Oahu in Hawaii.

Andrew J.
Aug 11, 2008

andrewj66 wrote:
I love to play in beaches i just forgot all the things while playing over there . Waikiki Beach hotels offer a secure and friendly atmosphere for a wonderful family vacation in Waikiki Beach. Waikiki Beach, one of the most popular tourist spots, is located on the south shore of Oahu in Hawaii.
================== Andrewj66 has recently made 5 posts eloquently describing various tropical destinations. Sounds like a travel agent (or TS salesperson).

Mike N.
Aug 11, 2008

mike1536 astutely notes: >> Andrewj66 has recently made 5 posts eloquently describing various tropical destinations. Sounds like a travel agent (or TS salesperson).<< ====================================

I agree, except for the "eloquently" part, since all of those posts seem to lack any of the details or specificity which might indicate that the poster has actually ever seen any of those places. Just "happy talk" of a vague, general nature.

But to respond directly to the original Hawaii inquiry, I've never been to Kauai, but I have visited all of the other Hawaiian Islands at one time or another (not necessarily as a "vacationer", but that's irrelevant). In my personal opinion, Maui wins hands down over ALL of the others I have visited --- no contest.

That said, with commercial airfares being what they are (and are likely going to be) to travel to ANYWHERE in Hawaii these days, I'd personally be thinking long and hard about that particular destination...

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Aug 11, 2008 07:20 AM

Aug 13, 2008

The Hawaiian Islands are a top destination choice for a large percentage of Americans and travellers from all over the world. Not many people would scoff at the idea of attending a Hawaiian Luau. The feel of the islands, with the palm trees swaying in the wind, cool breezes brushing across tanned bodies soaking up the sun by the pool are just the ultimate in pleasure. The feel of the islands, the smell of the islands, and the taste of the islands are all within the confines of your own backyard.

Andrew J.
Aug 13, 2008

andrewj66 wrote:
The Hawaiian Islands are a top destination choice for a large percentage of Americans and travellers from all over the world. Not many people would scoff at the idea of attending a Hawaiian Luau. The feel of the islands, with the palm trees swaying in the wind, cool breezes brushing across tanned bodies soaking up the sun by the pool are just the ultimate in pleasure. The feel of the islands, the smell of the islands, and the taste of the islands are all within the confines of your own backyard.

Well, evidently you haven't noticed how much airfare to Hawaii has skyrocketed due to the price of oil. Even though Hawaii was a very popular destination in the past, that popularity has faded somewhat with the price of airline tickets to get there. I'm sure Hawaii is still a favorite of those where money is no object.

R P.
Aug 19, 2008

As for finding Hawaii discount vacation deals, you need to know where to look. It is possible for you to book a Hawaii discount vacation through one of your local travel agents, but you can also make your own vacation reservations.

Andrew J.
Aug 20, 2008

mike1536 wrote:
================== Andrewj66 has recently made 5 posts eloquently describing various tropical destinations. Sounds like a travel agent (or TS salesperson).

http://ezinearticles.com/?Waikiki-Beach-Hotels&id=304011

Or just a bored thief....hmm, maybe he IS a TS saleperson.

Dave S.
Aug 20, 2008

andrewj66 inaccurately states in part: >>As for finding Hawaii discount vacation deals, you need to know where to look.<< ==========================================

Nonsense..... At the present time, any fool with a computer can stumble upon Hawaii vacation deals almost anywhere and everywhere one might look right now. That's because AIRFARE to Hawaii is sky high and there are few (maybe no) airfare "bargains" to be found.

What planet are your asorted garbled transmissions emanating from, anyhow??? Surely not Earth...

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Aug 20, 2008 02:38 PM

Aug 30, 2008

We love Maui and would recommend it over all other islands!

We own a two bedroom at Maui Lea at Maui Hills and have for years and love it there and spend a week there most years.

We just spent a week there and grabbed a II getaway for a second week also in Maui so we spent 13 days there and only packed and moved about 25 miles to new resort and had a ball.

We were able to kick back and just move at the pace our family wanted and no rushing.

We also flew home on week day flight which saved us almost as much as our getaway resort cost us.

I would never recommend for families to try and rush their vacation time to spend more time on other islands because of the cost and hassles and just wasting your vacation time.

We could have gone to Kauai for second week but 45 min drive was enough.

Thanks II! Darlene!

Darlene P.
Aug 07, 2009

We like Maui best and you must buy the "Maui revealed" book by Andrew Daughty. It will list EVERYTHING there is to do by area of the island and breaks it up from restraunts to beaches to sightseeing, to resorts ect......It made our trip perfect b/c we could pick all the things we wanted to do first. We have also been to Kaui and Oahu but Maui was the best of both! We also had a 2 and 6 year old with us. Both the Westin Ka anapolli and the marriott right down the beach are nice and have kid friendly pools and activities.

Zezee H.
Aug 25, 2009

My favs, in order of best to least is ...

1. Big --- love the slow pace, the active volcano, the hiking 2. Oahu -- North Shore, plus a night or two in fast pace Honolulu 3. Lanai - Locals and resorts treat you so great. No crowds. 4. Kauai - Hiking is great. So green and lush. 5. Maui - Never very impressed when we visit. Hana highway is nice, but the island seems more touristy and a bit over-rated to my wife and I. We skip it now when we go. Never been to Molokai.

All islands are great. We travel a ton. We've done most of usual hot spots in the Carribean, Mexico, Canada, Europe, USA, etc.... and Hawaii is the BEST in the world.

John C.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.