Timeshare Exchanges

Will rci points work for us?

Jan 24, 2009

I was torn as to whether to put this in points or exchanges forum, but my concern is the exchanges so here it goes.

I am looking at rci points for regular exchanges into Vegas, Mexico and Dominican, aswell as one time exchanges into Orlando and Hawaii. We are quite flexible, but do most of our travel in the winter months of Oct through March perhaps into April. We do live in a smaller city and need to arrange flights a little more in advance that some in larger cities although we have two major US carriers aswell as our Air Canada and Westjet. We don't have kids and would travel mostly to studios and we are not extremely fussy about accomodations, it's more about location for us. We can travel in shoulder seasons somewhat and are reasonably flexible during the winter months. Will we still have to be planning these well over a year in advance in most cases? I see so many unhappy posts in regards to RCI exchanges that it worries me to choose RCI points? Any thoughts?

I have been researching the timeshare thing about 7 months now, I am struggling between HGVC or RCI points. My Brother and his wife have RCI weeks and seem to recommend RCI points instead, but they have learned to system well and it has for the most part worked well for them so I would benefit from their experience. HGVC seems great aswell but will cost much more to get into the system and it seems to limited to rely on exchanges through them via RCI for Mexico and the Dominican. I would love opinions.

Thanks Barb

Barbara P.
Jan 24, 2009

I'm not familiar with the point systems of either RCI or HGVC (I owned weeks only), but I recommend that you buy resale whatever you choose as you'd be saving a ton of money by doing so.

R P.
Jan 24, 2009

Since you are not picky, points gives you a lot of flexibility. As an RCI Points owner, here's what I can tell you (about RCI Points).

1. If you want to reserve another POINTS unit that is NOT in your home resort, you can only book 10 months in advance (most airlines won't let you book flights more than a year in advance anyway).

2. If you are booking a week at a WEEKS resort, then you can book TWO years in advance.

3. You can stay for less than 7 nights or longer than 7 nights. Five night reservations (Sun-Thurs) is only 60% of the total point value for the week.

4. You will have to decide how many points are required for your needs. Points resorts require a different number of points for reserving a week (RCI has a grid to convert a 'Weeks' unit to a points value).

Go to rci.com and select the Resort Directory tab (caution…there have been issues with the loading of the directory taking a LONG time, so if you experience this, try later in the day).

Use the Search feature to find resorts in the area where you want to travel and when you finally get to the list of resorts, the Points resorts will have the RCI Points logo in the listing.

After selecting a Points Resort, you will find a link for the RCI Points grid (the left side of the page with type of unit, check-in, and season information). Go here to see how many points are required for this resort based on season and size.

For example, a studio unit at the Hilton Grand Vacations Club in Las Vegas (Gold Crown) varies from 23,000 during the low season to 46,000 pts during the peak season. One BRs range from 34,500 to 69,500 and 2 BR range from 49,500 to 99,000.

In contrast, the Geo Holiday Club @ Jockey Club ( Silver Crown) has point values that are significantly less due to the RCI rating (Studios: 18,000 to 36,000; 1 BRs: 26,500 to 57,000; and 2 BRs: 35,500 to 71,000).

5. You need to check out resort reviews since many can be no more than converted motels. (Hilton may offer better quality resorts).

You may want to check out the 3-year Right to Use of this CA resort. It's a way to "test the waters" for 3 years. If you like it, you renew. If not, then you walk away. Here's the link (cut & paste into your browser) for information.

http://tug2.com/TimeshareMarketplace/ViewPost.aspx?ResortGUID=&ListingGUID=f8c62d51-a5b2-4267-bd1e-ea87a455610d

Good Luck

Mike N.

Last edited by mike1536 on Jan 24, 2009 11:00 AM

Jan 25, 2009

Thanks jayjay, we will be buying resale fore sure.

Mike, wow thanks for all the input. I have been to the rci website and I am pretty sure we want somewhere between 40 and 60 k, I was considering EOY aswell, since that might just free us up to step out of RCI on occasion and do our own thing. I have researched alot in trip advisor so I have an idea of what points get what level of resort/accomodations ect. I really am looking for input on how easy it is to get into Vegas, Mexico, Dominican at say the 6 month to 3 month window, anything else if it's really specific I know I will need to be on it a year or more in advance. I was considering EBAY, Grandview las vegas rci points since we kinda like the off the strip location and it's sorta within driving range of us if we ever had to give up on RCI like I have seen alot do. Since the maintenance fees are pretty low, I know they will climb and probably quite rapidly but atleast they are starting pretty low. I guess I fear being stuck and never ever being able to get rid of the timeshare 15 -20 years from now when we may not want to travel as much. I have to say I feel very skeptical about that whole rci 3yr right to use thing to be honest. Instinct tells me to avoid it, if that makes sense. I may be wrong.

Thanks for you input, its greatly appreciated.

Barbara P.
Jan 25, 2009

I had a look at the link to the 3yr RCI points thing, I am a little confused as to what you actually pay. For example the 63k had a fee of 1226 I think, do you pay that year 1 and only in the 1st year or it that all three years (ouch). Does RCI roll over points for three years or just two. It's a little confusing on what you get. With no home resort or nothing to fall back on, I guess it's only a three year risk though. I dunno.

Barb

Barbara P.
Jan 25, 2009

barbarap242 wrote:
I had a look at the link to the 3yr RCI points thing, I am a little confused as to what you actually pay. For example the 63k had a fee of 1226 I think, do you pay that year 1 and only in the 1st year or it that all three years (ouch). Does RCI roll over points for three years or just two. It's a little confusing on what you get. With no home resort or nothing to fall back on, I guess it's only a three year risk though. I dunno.

Barb

The $1226 is for the FIRST year (it does say that, but you might have missed it).

It consists of: $299 - ONE TIME admin fee and closing costs $224 - RCI Membership (one time set-up fee & 1st yr's memb fee of $124) $99 - The 3-YEAR lease cost (payable every 3 yrs) $604.80 - Annual MF.

In the 2nd and 3rd years, you would owe the MF ($604) and the RCI Membership ($124). Though I would suggest that if you go this route, you call RCI and pay the extra $200 to extend your membership fee for 3 years & to lock in the price.

If you want to continue, then you pay another $99 for the next 3 years. Keep in mind that any of these fees may go up.

Even if you buy at Grandview, you will still own the annual RCI fee and annual MFs. The big advantage to the lease is it give people the ability to try the system and save them the headache of trying to get rid of a TS years from now. I wish I saw that before I bought my Points TS.

The points will rollover for one year. So if you start with 60K and only use 50K, the next year you will have 70K. If you again only use 50K (the 10K left over from year 1 and 40K from year 2), then you will have 80K in year 3. You are also allowed to borrow (at think up to 50% of the NEXT year's allocation as well.

You should not have too many problems getting into Las Vegas or Mexico, especially if you book at the start of the 10 month window or if you travel in the off season. Many Mexican resort are mandatory AI. If you cantravel on short notice (within 45 days), you can book a week at a weeks resort for anywhere from 7500-9000 points.

You may want to sign up on the TUG forum as well (www.tugbbs.com). There are threads for Point Discussions as well as threads for individual resort systems.

Mike N.

Last edited by marty8084 on Jan 25, 2009 01:42 PM

Jan 25, 2009

barbarap242 wrote:
I was considering EOY aswell, since that might just free us up to step out of RCI on occasion and do our own thing. I was considering EBAY, Grandview las vegas rci points since we kinda like the off the strip location and it's sorta within driving range of us if we ever had to give up on RCI like I have seen alot do.
If you decide to buy any TS with the intent to use your home resort (a smart idea by the way), be sure to buy the week and unit size you will want now AND later.

You still have to pay an annual RCI membership whether or not your unit is annual or EOY. If you have an EOY and you don't use all your points, it will only carry over to the next year and you will lose them before you get your next allocation (though you can always borrow from the next allocation if needed) Confusing, but I'll let you "do the math" :).

Quote:
I have to say I feel very skeptical about that whole rci 3yr right to use thing to be honest. Instinct tells me to avoid it, if that makes sense. I may be wrong.
From what I know, California law allows TS to offer a Right to Use for as little as 3 years. The resort that offers the package is Club Trinidad www.clubtrinidad.com in Palm Springs. There are Several people on TUG who have taken advantage of the lease. Here's the link to the latest TUG thread 3-year lease. It's been around for a awhile and the topic bounces around, but pose any questions there.

Mike N.

Last edited by mike1536 on Jan 25, 2009 11:00 AM

Jan 25, 2009

Mike thanks for responding, yes I read alot at TUG although I haven't joined yet I have been a lurker for many months...lol ( now why does that sound almost creepy) hehe. I didn't realize that the 3yr thing meant that you get those points every year I thought that I would have to spread the 60k out over three years, hence it seems liked kinda a crappy deal to me. Hmmm I will have to give that a little more thought. I need to do the math on that one to see if it's worthwhile. I was also thinking of just buying a week in Mexico that's RTU, but I heard that they have crappy trading power. I really only want one good vacation a year out of it, and nw and again maybe sneak in a second shorter trip to vegas or miami or something. Thanks for your help. I just got started on researching Melia Vacation club aswell. Good lord there are to many things to decide from and each are so different. I appreciate the responses.

Barb

Barbara P.
Jan 25, 2009

Oh I forgot to ask, extending the 3 yr lease another 3 yrs does that mean one doesn't have to pay the 1226 again then? just RCI dues, $99 lease renewal, MF dues yearly and ofcoarse any costs involved in exchanging.

Barb

Barbara P.

Last edited by barbarap242 on Jan 25, 2009 01:03 PM

Jan 25, 2009

barbarap242 wrote:
Oh I forgot to ask, extending the 3 yr lease another 3 yrs does that mean one doesn't have to pay the 1226 again then? just RCI dues, $99 lease renewal, MF dues yearly and ofcoarse any costs involved in exchanging.

Barb

That's true, but the bulk of the $1226 were the RCI dues, $99 lease, and MFs. The true one-time cost were the $299 closing costs and approx $100 for the initial RCI membership.

Mike N.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.