Point Systems

Diamond Resorts International (DRI) "THE CLUB" Points Program & Converting your Week to Points

Dec 26, 2016

DRI SCAM

Jun H.

Last edited by junh3 on Dec 26, 2016 04:08 PM

Dec 26, 2016

I did the same thing and in the long run points have worked out better for me. Not sure about you but I like them. Just plan ahead. Or use them within 60 days in off-season places like Florida, Tahoe (weeks are 1000 points now). I just spent one week in Tahoe for 1,000 DRI points. 75% off. Snowing and right next to Heavenly ski resort. I checked II and the weeks were 5,500 points.

It took me a year to Learn the system but points are better then weeks unless it's weeks in areas like Hawaii or key west or some other high demand low supply area.

Vegas weeks are garbage. And Orlando. They are worthless.

Hope that helps and the class action lawsuit is a waste of time. My wife is an attorney and said that stuff happens every time a company goes private.

Focus on using it. And the good things. Use the website. Their are great Points deals on it right now.

Best of luck.

Brad L.
Dec 26, 2016

bradfordl11 wrote:
Hope that helps and the class action lawsuit is a waste of time. My wife is an attorney and said that stuff happens every time a company goes private.

Focus on using it. And the good things. Use the website. Their are great Points deals on it right now.

I do agree with you that these lawsuits usually are a waste of time. But for some, I guess they are doing it on principle.

As for the comment "Focus on using it", that is good advice if the person is able to travel. Unfortunately, some owners' circumstances change and they cannot travel as much as before or maybe even travel at all. So they have to somehow get rid of their unit.

Lance C.
Dec 27, 2016

I understand what your wife, an attorney, said about class actions being a waste of time. I said the same thing myself. However, class action law suits are sometimes warranted. This class action article about Diamond was posted November 4, 2016. The problem is class actions take time. An appeal can easily take a year if DRI loses the lawsuit. Most owners don't have time to wait.

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/348667-diamond-resorts-class-action-high-pressure-timeshare-sales-deceptive/

I agree that owners can find good value with points. My complaint is that Diamond is the only major timeshare company to have restricted the use of points purchased on the secondary market to the extent there is no secondary market for Diamond points while there is a secondary market for all Diamond's major competitors. Westgate has the second worst secondary market. A life crisis can happen at any time. This is an interview with a man and DRI owner in ill health denied a surrender for eight years until the television reporter contacted DRI.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/investigators/timeshare-woes-for-one-man-who-tried-to-cancel-after-an-illness

Also, this is not just any company going private. I had brokerage clients harmed by Drexel Burnham Lambert and the Michael Milken junk bond scandal. DBL filed bankrupt and formed Apollo Global Management. Junk bonds have some value, but a Diamond contract becomes worthless the moment the contract is signed, should an owner need to sell. Distressed families can at least get back sometimes 10 to 15% of their investment in timeshare, but Diamond owners are at the mercy of Diamond and their willingness to accept a surrender. As true with Mr. Marble in the above interview, surrenders are not guaranteed. The February 25 post from Susan as mentioned in a prior post is helpful.

Irene P.
Dec 29, 2016

HI,

Saw your posting today and wanted to share our experience. First of all-Diamond salespeople are sharks!! It sounds like you got a cheap conversion-did you give up your deed for the Club points only? We *****ed and I wrote letters to all the board members of our former Premiere Vacation Club(ILX ownership we bought in 2004 in AZ) They always tried to sell us $60,000 worth of points to upgrade. We held out and kept complaining until they offered us a reasonable amount of points to convert our deed to the Club. We got penalized on maintenance fees due to the splitting of our membership-we were paying a lot compared to straight points-our ownership-we love to use it-and don't plan to sell unless this new takeover(by Apollo) raises the fees to unreasonable levels. We also own with Bluegreen Vacations, and so far they are more reasonably priced(as far as fees) and have more locations close to our home, so we use it for weekend stays with the grandkids mainly.

Richard S.
May 30, 2018

I strongly recommend you don't transfer your weeks, what they do is use your weeks to give free vacations out to get more memberships, using up the most popular weeks. My husband and I have Intraval International and recently used a week in Va. Once we got there we were asked to go to a update meeting, up on going we learned the point system went from $4/point to $9/point. Plus the additional total yearly fees of $1300.00 fees that keep going up, that we were never told about, fees that we could use to take a normal vacation, without the burden of having to pay for fees if we choose not to go on vacation. Those fees only provide us with 3000 points. So if we want to use them we have to pay a proccessing fee of 20% for whatever we want to use our points for, then we have to make sure we claim those points prior to March 31st, if we are lucky enough to find a destination spot, then whatever we do pay for we only get reimbursed $20%. So basically we get absolutely nothing for paying $1300.00/year for. I am reporting them to the BBB, and sharing this on every social media there is to ensure others do not get suckered into buying anything from Diamond resorts, it's a scam!

majbeck wrote:
Hi all, I was finally contacted by DRI about my exciting opportunity to convert my week at Polo Towers, Las Vegas to the new "Club Points" program. Being in the Army and moving all the time, I guess they finally caught up with me, and I was called to make an appointment at my house in St Louis, MO. The rep showed up on time and gave his pitch. The only complaint I had was it took him so long to tell me exactly what he was selling and "get to the bottomline" with the cost disclosure. Since I have not been able to use my timeshare in Las Vegas in the past 4-years (wars, deployments, moving all the time, young children, etc) we grudgingly decided to make the switch and paid the $2990 to convert, and the annual fee would be like $250. They offered us 12,000 pts for our 2bed/2bath week 13 "floating" lock-out unit at Polo Towers, Las Vegas (one of the very few previously owned Diamond Resort properties...not aquired in the Sunterra Resorts buyout). We now look forward to being able to use our week where we want with no exchange fees and no point rollover or borrowing costs.

For the past 4-years we have rented it out thru Redweek ads but that was always a pain to post the ads, reply to inquiries, screen potential renters, book the week at Polo Towers, make arragements for the payment, and get a short contract back in the mail from the renter; plus we were not able to rent it to even cover our annual HOA fee (which have nearly doubled since we bought in 2004 from $722 to $1150). We were told they only offer "conversions" to points if you are the original deeded owner, and will not/do not offer "The CLUB" program to "resale owners".

With all that said, I wanted to hear from other "DRI Weeks to Points" converters or those who are on the fence about switching (although we were told this was a "one-time offer"). --What was your impressions of the program? --Why did you decided to do it? --Has it worked out to be as good as they said it would be? --Has anyone that is not an original deeded owner been offered a chance to switch to CLUB points? --Can DRI be trusted to administer this program equitably? (i.e. the recent RCI Weeks lawsuit) --I heard you can buy additional points but do not understand how and who sells them? and are the points only for a one-time-use thing or can you buy more pts that would be added annually to your annual allotment (like RCI Points with multiple properties)?

Any and all input on DRI's "The CLUB" points program is appreciated....hopefully we can all learn something from this forum posting. Thanks for your comments and input.

Merrisa S.
Jul 13, 2018

Hi, we joined the Club in 2011 as owners in Vegas at Diamond Resorts Villas, we have a one bedroom and a studio ( used as two bedroom if needed), both deeded, we are original owners and paid for. They gave us 22,500 points which we mostly use for cruises. Since our three maintenance fees have gone up immensely, especially the Club. What I don't understand is we were told we had to make a choice at the beginning of the year if we wanted to use our weeks for the year or Club points, we've never made a choice. I belong to TUG and between that and Redweek there is so much info, it really seems as though everyone has a different version. When we bought we were given Red 27 but we have always been able to use our units anytime we wanted. Never used points in Vegas because I have always been able to book as my units. So see what they say isn't always the same for others.

MarySue S.
Feb 06, 2019

Hi! I would love to be part of that lawsuit. How can i get information on it. Thanks

Kenlly N.
Feb 07, 2019

The judge ruled in favor of Diamond in a class action lawsuit, forcing arbitration. There was a second class action lawsuit filed Feb 2018 by a NY Class action firm and the law firm who filed the first class action, accusing the company of selling points as an investment. There have been many complaints of this nature, especially in Hawaii. Given the same judge was assigned, despite judges supposedly assigned at random, it is expected the same judge will rule in favor of arbitration. Diamond is the only major timeshare with a class action ban, forcing arbitration which, unlike a lawsuit filed which is public record, is binding and private. The company pays arbitrators $400 to $800 an hour. Critics, including 19 Attorneys General who signed a letter about this topic when the CFPB, under prior direction, attempted to change the arbitration clause allowing consumers the right to file class action lawsuits. In my opinion, arbitration is a kangaroo court.

Irene P.
Jun 05, 2019

I too have traditional week at MysticDunes. diamond has relentlessly tried to pressure me into signing over my deeded week which I have gotten great trades for. I would be paying another 13000 to convert to points plus my maintenance fee would increase by $500. I am happy where I am. Also beware Diamond has been bought out by Apollo. Apollo has been known to buy resorts and flip them quickly at a profit, thus yet another timeshare company looking to get ypu as their member at another hefty fee.

loriw34 wrote:
I am not an "original deeded owner" and get called by DRI all the time with their sales pitch to convert to points. They would sell anything to anyone and in my opinion would say anything to get your money. I have sat through two presentations during LV trips, I visit frequently, and found them to be very aggressive, high pressure sales people. One one occasion, the sales person told me he would lose his job if I did not sign and his boss then arrived to yell at him about his poor performance. (I almost started to laugh) I am very happy using my week and I have gotten good trades through II. Perhaps the point system works for some, but I personally have no reason to change my current situation. To all-be very skeptical and watch out!

Kathy N.
Jun 05, 2019

I too would like pursue class action against Diamond

Kathy N.
Jun 11, 2019

Kathy Diamond has a class action ban written into the contract forcing arbitration. A buyer has to opt out within 30 days of signing the contract or be forced to arbitration. I attended a trial because Diamond sued an attorney. Diamond sued one of their own witnesses, a dentist, for $170,000 of which $86,000 was arbitration fees because they lost in arbitration. Diamond's outside counsel said Diamond has only lost one arbitration case (because the buyer has no proof).

This is our Diamond member supported Facebook launched by an economics professors. There are over 3100 members, including Diamond employees. Please join our efforts. https://www.facebook.com/groups/DiamondResortsOwnersAdvocacy/

Also, Apollo is the former Drexel Burnham Lambert firm that filed for bankruptcy on a $650 million fine and Michael Milken went to jail for securities fraud over the junk bond scandal in the 80s. Look at Apollo Global Management on Wikepedia. A junk bond was worth something but a Diamond contract nothing should a buyer need to sell. The tiger did not change his stripes, just his diet. CEO Michael Flaskey even was promoting the Milken Institute when interviewed by Maria Barteromo on FOX.

Irene P.
Oct 09, 2019

I want to buy a deed for a specific resort. It was just bought by DRI . Can't decide are MF gonna double. Just wondering if it's worth it. Maybe rentals are cheaper. Rick Hendrick at

loriw34 wrote:
I am not an "original deeded owner" and get called by DRI all the time with their sales pitch to convert to points. They would sell anything to anyone and in my opinion would say anything to get your money. I have sat through two presentations during LV trips, I visit frequently, and found them to be very aggressive, high pressure sales people. One one occasion, the sales person told me he would lose his job if I did not sign and his boss then arrived to yell at him about his poor performance. (I almost started to laugh) I am very happy using my week and I have gotten good trades through II. Perhaps the point system works for some, but I personally have no reason to change my current situation. To all-be very skeptical and watch out!

Valerie R.
Dec 22, 2019

Can we use point to give card

Angel R.
Feb 18, 2020

DIAMOND RESORT AND THEY OWN EMBARC ALSO SINCE 2016

THEY USE FEW TAINTED PITCHES TO SCARE OWNERS INTO BUYING MORE 1) BUY NOW AND SELL FIRST IN JANUARY AND GET ALL YOUR MONEY BACK...FUNNY !!! 20 BUY NOW AND HAVE EQUITY NEXT YEAR 100% RETUEN PLUS OVER WHAT YOU LIED 30 USE POINTS TO PAY MAINTENANCE FEES

EVER HEARD THIS

CALL THE DRE OF YOUR STATE ( DIVISION OF REAL ESTATE) COUNTY OF ? DISTRICT ATORNEYS OFFICE FRAUD DIVISION ELDER ABUSE

STOP BEING STUPID

Kevin D.
Mar 14, 2020

Im staying at Mystic Dunes resorts in Orlando for 3000 points I had the high pressure presentation today and after the good cop bad cop routine I feel very beat up. My crap start by buying in Las vagus the DRI Sample package $2400 consisting of 15000 points good for 1yr. This was my first time using the package and the points so the pressure was to buy a membership at $35000 minus the 2400 I already paid and he through in more stuff ,airline tickets, cruise , more points etc. I wasn't interested because of the MF which started at $900. After 4 hrs and my refusal he basically said I was stupid for not taking the offer . This was one of my worst time share presentation My Point is do not buy from DRI.

D D.

Last edited by donnad602 on Mar 14, 2020 09:45 PM

Mar 14, 2020

donnad602 wrote:
Im staying at Mystic Dunes resorts in Orlando for 3000 points I had the high pressure presentation today and after the good cop bad cop routine I feel very beat up. My crap start by buying in Las vagus the DRI Sample package $2400 consisting of 15000 points good for 1yr. This was my first time using the package and the points so the pressure was to buy a membership at $35000 minus the 2400 I already paid and he through in more stuff ,airline tickets, cruise , more points etc. I wasn't interested because of the MF which started at $900. After 4 hrs and my refusal he basically said I was stupid for not taking the offer . This was one of my worst time share presentation My Point is do not buy from DRI.

Donna,

I couldn’t agree with you more. The sales presentations are horrible with DRI and for that matter many others. I own with DR and Marriott. Marriott used to be much better but now they are just as bad as DR. You have to put a time limit on them and stick with it. If you ask questions, you’ll be there longer. They are used to people saying no so understand that you fill need to be firm. Make them honor there commitment on time. With about 15 minutes let them know you have a commitment that you plan to make because you’re responsible. At the end of your time stand up and prepare to go. If have left you alone start wandering around the sale floor asking to see so and so because you don’t intend to buy. They don’t want other potential buyers hearing that. They’ll start whisking you out toward the gift office quickly.

Charles S.
Mar 15, 2020

donnad602 wrote:
After 4 hrs and my refusal he basically said I was stupid for not taking the offer . This was one of my worst time share presentation My Point is do not buy from DRI.

Sadly, this is one of the despicable ploys and mind games that many sales people use. They try to make you look and feel stupid for not taking this "smoking deal". As for not buying from DRI, well, that's another story but I would recommend not buying anything from a sales presentation, regardless of which company it is.

Lance C.
Mar 15, 2020

charless345 wrote:
With about 15 minutes let them know you have a commitment that you plan to make because you’re responsible.

AS creative as that sounds, that would actually work against you if you indeed did have a commitment. The sales person will use this against you basically saying, "Well, just sign the papers and you can get out of here. If you don't, we'll just drag this thing out longer until you sign. Neither my fellow sales people nor I are in any rush or have anywhere to go. Your call."

Lance C.
Mar 15, 2020

In Dec 2019, they almost got us to sign up to pay another $28,000+ just because we don't want our kids to have to inherit this Timeshare and all its expenses. They were convincing us that "This New Way of Ownership" allowed the kids to choose not to inherit it. We were so close to signing and then I got my senses back: What good would another $28,000 do? We will never get that back after all the money we've put into this over the last ~20 years....with no way out! I thought, even if we give it away, it would be better than losing another $28,000! Say, "NO!!!" Always!

Lisa N.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.