Report Abuse

Re: Timeshares Only

[Q=kekouri] Stroman is a Realtor in Texas. Upfront fees are allowed in that state. I've seen some on tug say they bought from them. Unfortunately, they also have a bad rep, however.[/Q] ======================================= To the best of my knowledge, upfront fees per se are not actually expressly prohibited by law in ANY state, as long as not actually collected as a "commission in advance". That still leaves the door wide open however for "marketing fees", "advertising fees", etc. collected up front. Laws in that area clearly need improvement. Wayne Stroman has indeed seen some days in court, including federal court --- but has always WON so far. That's not to say that he won't be in court again..... Presently, however, Stroman has lots of listings for which NO upfront fee has been requested or collected (at least as I understand it). Instead, however, commission terms (upon sale) in some specific instances are minimum $950 or 10% of selling price (whichever is greater). So, someone using Stroman to sell a $3k timeshare would end up paying about 1/3 of the selling price in commission. Some might say that's "plenty"....