Report Abuse

Re: Timeshares Only

Ken: According to some regulations in Florida, it is against the law for a licensed realtor to ask for or recieve an upfront fee for a timeshare purchase. And, I think a few years ago, it became against the law in that state to charge a fee for an appraisal for a T/S . In NJ, where I live, no one can broker a sale of real estate except for a licensed real estate agent....and if a non agent takes any fees for help in the sale, they have broken the law. How strict? In NJ, the State Commission has come to my house to issue formal charges that I was aiding Marriott in selling a timeshare in Absecon with out a license. What did I do? I put a link on the www.tugbbs.com directing guests to the free 3 nite stay if the listened to a T/S presentation at the Marriott Seaview. I would get 40,000 MArriott Reward Points....if they decided to buy. I was receiving payments for help in the sale of real property ( those 40,000 points) and had no real estate license. Pretty sure JayJay remembers the problems TUG had removing the stuff so members would not get in trouble. These rules only are for people living in NJ and pretain to properties in NJ. So, there aren't many....but enough. I need to search Daves posts on tug to find the Florida regulations on timeshare sales. Only probem there, is they pertain to licensed Real estate agents only. Not Advertising companies....but with enough compalints to Floridas AG, maybe that will change. TAhen I hope to refing this message... you are right...they need Jel Soft here...