Report Abuse

Re: Is Montecristo Estates sold out & what Pueblo Bonito was selling the last units for

I bought one of those coveted #1-18 (#18 is mine, end of second to highest row) for June 1-16th, back in 2005. I have been trying to sell at a high price for almost 3 years and have not been able to. That was when no one knew much about it and when the first Montecristos were being built. There was no resale market. I paid $70,000 and have the 50% off golf/greens fees, but that hasn't done me much good in selling or even renting. I have been able to make a small profit each year by renting, but those prices are coming down. The resort like all these resorts has an air tight contract, and I think over the long term the villas will be worth a lot, but frankly they have put their maintenance fees to high now (double what i started at) and they can raise them 6% per year which they will do because the 100 year air tight contracts produce maintenance fees. I am selling my love unit with $1200 per week maintenance fees paid for 2009, for between $38,000 and $40,000 which is about 65-75% of what they are selling for today, and with lower maintenance fees. I would not buy it counting on appreciation because the maintenance fees will be too high--for me. So that is why I'm trying to get it sold now, figuring that savvy buyers will figure out that they will have a fantastic two week vacation (or rent it $3,000 per week-average for one or two weeks) and make up the $3800 per year they are paying for it. That's if it is worth nothing in 10 years, which I very much doubt. The development is going to go very slowly now. I know the issue is money, but they do have the Ritz Carlton behind the Quivera (single family mansions) part. The environmental impact statement is an excuse. They are planning to build two more phases of Montecristos, going for $88,000 per week, which means they are no longer exclusive like the first phase. And they don't have the clubhouse for Montecristo owners in yet. That was to be a high level "private club" with its own pools, restaurants etc. because the other are so far away. I know some salesmen down there but they even lie to me!! They always tell me not to sell until the golf course is in. Well, I think it is a great location and you can truly live them without a car, in a very secure resort, which is going to be an issue in Cabo as the drug trade in Mexico expands. The other reason I am selling now is that the Mexican government is now in the thing with the fidecommissio (deed) which they get a large cut on by charging for capital gains tax and closing costs, and lawyer's costs etc. I bought a condo in Cabo and sold it one year later when the housing market looked bad (to me, not to Cabo realtors), and Cabo was really overbuilt, and whatever profit I had was taxed and it ended up losing some money even though I sold it for $50,000 more than I'd paid for. They haven't tried to force that on owners because it will anger those of us that bought and really wanted 50 years (because of maintenance fees). Now they push the advantages of having 100 years, but not resort is going to appreciate over that long a period because it will be old. Who knows what will happen to Mexico. But I'm convinced that the Mexican government doesn't want to see it go because it is a true gem, or at least in will be someday, so unless the whole resort crashes, I think it will be valuable for many years to come. Anyway, if you know of anyone who wants a good deal, I am advertising now for $38-40,000 and then lowering it to the $37,000 or $38,000 figure if I can't sell it between now and June. By the way, June is really nice weather, and for people without children or with very young children, it's the perfect place to be. Very trustworthy babysitters too lafox