Timeshare Companies

Class Action Against Diamond Resorts?

Oct 24, 2019

May I be so bold as to ask who "some people" are? Got the name for the law firm?

David B.
Oct 25, 2019

I just wonder if you had more assistance with booking the places that you are struggling to get into, and you didn't have to actually work the system or know all of the tricks of finding the availability, would you be just as unhappy with your timeshare that you are right now?

Erin S.
Nov 02, 2019

No I am not the forum moderator. We do have a Diamond member Facebook page of about 3,800. I am not an admin, but it is a lively Facebook. It was launched by an economics professor. https://www.facebook.com/groups/DiamondResortsOwnersAdvocacy/

Irene P.
Nov 03, 2019

No Erin, its not a question of booking. We are deeded legacy owners whose purchase predated Diamond's participation in our home resort that have relinquished our additional points but wish to regain a semblance of control over our property. Diamond's first come first served doesn't do it for us. Their computers are faster than ours blocking us from reserving in our home (deeded property) resort. So yes, we no longer want to play the "Club" game with Diamond. Just let us exit "The Club" per the rules they established without transferring our property to them.

David B.
Nov 03, 2019

Cal What reference link? To our Facebook of 3800 Diamond members launched by an economics professor in 2017? We are members helping members. We allow no solicitation. RedWeek is well aware of our Facebook. We encourage our members to join Redweek. We're not selling anything. We advocate self-advocacy over contacting an exit service provider. Diamond has worked with hundreds from our Facebook to resolve disputes. We ask those helped to pay it forward by advising others re filing regulatory complaints if the member feels they experienced unfair and deceptive sales practices. We are all volunteers. https://www.facebook.com/groups/DiamondResortsOwnersAdvocacy/

To those asking about class action. Diamond has a class action ban written into their contract forcing arbitration. At a trial I attended the attorney for Greenspoon Marder said Diamond only lost one arbitration case. Any complaint about false promises is dismissed with "You signed a contract" or "We are not responsible for what our sales agent say." One sentence in the contact states, "I did not rely on oral representation to make my purchase." This has led me to believe arbitration is a kangaroo court.

Irene P.
Nov 04, 2019

Irene P., my initial question about your posting of your facebook groups site address, had to do with my lack of understanding of your groups purpose.

In this reply, you have clearly outlined why your group is allowed to post links to Red Week, which satisfactorily answers my question.

The lone reason for my initial question had to do with my posting of a site address, for a company that helped me get out of my timeshare. My posting of this link got me into immediate trouble with Red Week and a claim by Don P. that I was a scammer for unknowingly posting that sites address.

At the time of my question to you, which was also after my very first posting to Red Week, I mistakenly thought that all externally linked postings were not allowed. I now see the clear difference.

I'm thankful to Red Week, groups like yours, and Don P. for remaining vigilant. To everyone out there and here in Red Week, it's great to know that there are multiple ways to successfully get out of a bad timeshare.

Thanks again Irene P. for your clarification.

Cal B.
Nov 04, 2019

calb15 wrote:
To everyone out there and here in Red Week, it's great to know that there are multiple ways to successfully get out of a bad timeshare.

Yes, and you don't have to pay any law firm, charity, or exit company to do so.

Lance C.
Nov 18, 2019

Interested in this thread and class action suit. I have had almost all of the experiences shared here with sale people. Remember you do NOT ever have to attend presentation. I have been offer up to $500 to do so and still refuse!

Mary G.
Nov 18, 2019

maryg923 wrote:
Remember you do NOT ever have to attend presentation. I have been offer up to $500 to do so and still refuse!

Sometimes people pay for these promotional vacation packages that stipulate you must attend such a presentation. They might be unaware of what they signed up for but the deal usually stipulates attending such a presentation otherwise you pay a stiff penalty such as something much more than $500.

The best thing to do in such a case before jumping at a seemingly great deal is to read the fine print.

Lance C.
Nov 19, 2019

I realize that I mis-spoke. I'm was referring to "Member's Update " meetings or any booked stay once a member. Yes, if you agree to go to a presentation in exchange for your stay, you are obligated.

Mary G.
Nov 29, 2019

Thank you Cal. Mary, two class actions failed, the judge ruling on the side of the arbitration clause. Diamond has a class action ban written into their contract forcing binding arbitration which is a kangaroo court. In the trial I attended Diamond Resorts v Austin Aaronson, Diamond's outside counsel said Diamond only lost one arbitration case. That's because they consider any complaint about sales misrepresentations without merit, claiming, "We are not responsible for what our sales agents say." According to FBI agents I have spoken with, and several attorneys, this is not legal, but when there is so little recourse, they get away with anything in Florida and Nevada especially. At the Florida legislative workshop I attended March 12, the AG representative testified that their office received about 4,000 timeshare complaints over three years about the initial sales presentation, but acted on only 42, mostly about resales. That's why we are advocating for federal legislation.

Irene P.
Dec 01, 2019

My husband and I were told orally that we would begin getting back money on our timeshare. We were to get $3000 before the end of November. We got nada! Our sales rep, who no longer works at Diamond Resorts is no longer there. When he sent us on to close out the deal with the financial rep. He told us not to mention the money. We still have the paperwork with $3000 circled on it. Now it is our word against the sales rep who is no longer there What can we do?

Jo H.
Dec 02, 2019

joh84 wrote:
Now it is our word against the sales rep who is no longer there... What can we do?

When did you purchase this? Are you still within your rescission period? If so, then follow the rescission instructions closely.

As a side note, what I quoted from you is a perfect example of why it's not recommended to sue or file a complaint based on oral presentations. Yes, I realize that some states make laws in this case saying that what counts is what you were orally told. That might be the law but you have to prove that that was what you were told and that is very hard to do.

Lance C.
Dec 13, 2019

What is the update on this did you pay the fee if not did they put you into collections? I know there are ALOT of unhappy people out there my maintenance fees have doubled. I have no mortgage.

Terri F.
Dec 13, 2019

To the people who have no balance and only pay for maintenance fees. Are you able to transition out if purchase was over a year ago and owe no balance? Can you request out and just walk away? Can AZ ruin your credit for just walking away and not paying for maintenance fees anymore? I was told the ceiling came off on the maintenance fees. The DRI concierge told us that and insisted we go to account update to find out more. I just don’t want to be apart of this circus anymore.....

Donna H.
Dec 14, 2019

If it were my credit history, which is good, I would not worry so much about a derogatory entry from a timeshare company. They are so widely recognized as corrupt these days that I feel I could enter a good explanation into my credit record and a major creditor would accept that. I'm not so sure that it would "ruin" my credit. It might drop the FICO score. If one does not have a good report overall you might not want to try to default.

Diamond is now sending out emails warning people about timeshare exit companies being fraudsters! Imagine that! Well, they are correct in many cases, but that's really the pot calling the kettle black!

Robert R.
Dec 22, 2019

Jo H You say you were coached to not say anything at the recorded closing. File a complaint by following our instructions found on our member-sponsored Facebook if you feel you experienced unfair and deceptive sales practices. The recording of the QA started after over 900 Diamond members complained to the AZ AG. He launched an investigation and issued an Assurance of Discontinuance fining Diamond $800,000. Maya from Diamond's PR firm Prosek in Beverly Hills called me the day Diamond launched their Clarity program letting me know, "And Diamond is going to go beyond the AOD! We are going to record the closing session." I said that will do nothing to protect the consumer. Sure enough, I have received about a hundred complaints from members reporting how they were "coached" on why they should not say anything to QA including: 1) "I will help you with refinancing. Call me after you make your first loan payment (after the rescission period) 2) A legitimate 30/30 travel discount program is adulterated with the agent adding you can pay maintenance fees at $.30 per point. "Don't say anything because they don't want you buying points just to pay maintenance fees." (The real program for Platinum members only is $.04 so $2,000 towards an $8600 maintenance fee invoice, a worthless benefit) 3) The ability to sell points if you buy these additional points will be available after the first of the year. I could get fired if you say anything because it has not been announced yet. 4) Don't say anything to the closing agent. They don't understand sales. 5) You have already been here for hours. I you ask questions you will be here for hours more 6) I rent out points on the side so don't say anything to the QA. (Despite hundreds of rental ads, renting through a third party website is not allowed. Members have had accounts suspended, terminated, issued a cease and desist for renting.)

A person of influence introduced me to some Washington DC people when I served as a panel member at the Whistleblower Summit in DC this past July. This led to our launching the nonprofit 501c4 Timeshare and Resort Developer Accountability, Inc. Diamond is not named in the reports at the end of the home page, but Beverly and Patty share their Diamond experience. Our mission is twofold. The timeshare buyer should be allowed a 24 hour "cooling off" period before signing a contract, and 2) If the closing session is recorded and used against the buyer, the buyer should be offered the opportunity to record the sales session. The lobbyist said these were the most reasonable requests he has ever brought before lawmakers.

Terri If you have no mortgage one thing nice about Diamond is they have been more accommodating than Wyndham taking back timeshares with no loan. This is the link to our member-sponsored Facebook of 4,000 members launched by an economics professor. Diamond reads every post. It's become something of a real Diamond customer service portal. https://tarda.org/ https://www.facebook.com/groups/DiamondResortsOwnersAdvocacy/

Irene P.
Dec 29, 2019

I have been scammed and getting wrong info. I got my. Membership in mystic dune in orlando florida and yesterday when i had my seminar for my free 3 days and 2 nights richard who was my new seminar guy told me that the guy who persuade me to have diamond resort membership resign. And now they are asking me to pay 92k within 10 yrs. and i was told in florida that they have a freeze acc and when i talked to the new guy in cancun he said they don’t have a freeze acc. I said you are giving me problems and i wanted to exit immediately but instead they are telling me to pay for something that is not my fault. Can someone tell me advice how i will take this to the court?

J J.
Jan 16, 2020

My husband was incarcerated for 16 years and he's way behind in the world, I stepped outside because I was overwhelmed with their sale tactics. They wouldn't let us leave, (the day before our wedding)they held on to our credit card after we said we didn't want it. They chased us to the elavator promising us more lies. And now stuck in a contract that we do not want.

Natachia P.
Jan 16, 2020

I am a timeshare owner for about 15 years. MY husband has Alzheimers and we cannot easily travel due to health concerns. I also have asthma and now the places that had more availability at Tahoe and Sedona and Santa FE are high altitude and I can no long er tolerate hi altitude. Thus due to our health concerns, we cannot use the timeshare and have lot so unused time. We cannot easily get time in AVaila beach and that is the only place that is drivable from our house. Because of my husband's alzheimers disease we cannot easily fly. I looked on the website for the exit program and they say one must pay the fees (which for us are $3800 and they have to use up any reservations. Therefore we cannot use any of the time that we pay for.Right now our fees are due for 2020. I wish to get out of this timeshare but have trouble paying fees and using them up before applying for the exit program, especially when I don't trust diamond at all to even approve the exit program. What can I do to get out of contract? Are there attorneys I can contact that are good? What happens if I do not pay?< I do NOT have any payments on the timeshare properties. I only own points and cannot easily use them. Thanks, Marjorie Singler Thanks,

Marjorie S.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.