Timeshare Companies

Class Action Against Diamond Resorts?

Jan 16, 2020

Why on earth would you throw your money away on an attorney ? Just contact them yourself and get out of your contract . Yes you can trust Diamond to complete the process . The money you would throw away on an attorney could be used to offset the fees that Diamond will be charging you . If you are worried about losing your points maybe you can use them up just before you proceed with the deed back . It's only January so you have time before next years fees are do or just give them up . With all the problems you are facing one last vacation might not be worth losing an opportunity to get out of your contract .

Don P.
Jan 16, 2020

Did you find any class action lawsuits and/or did you join one or more? If so, I would appreciate contact informationso that I might join the class action. Thank you.

Henry E.
Jan 18, 2020

Please advise if this phone number is still valid. We just experience a type of hostage situation at Polo Towers in order to get us to get 5,000 additional points to add to the 80k points we have been duped into buying over various different “updates”. We were not able to leave for over 4 hours as the sales agents had our DL’s and even after repeatedly telling them we could not afford to purchase any additional points 2 agents ganged up on us until we felt we could not leave until we signed on the dotted line. So upset and don’t know where to turn to get action on this company and it’s sales tactics. Please help us

Heather D.
Jan 18, 2020

You can use this: Right to Cancel a Timeshare Purchase in Nevada In Nevada, you may cancel, by written notice, the contract of sale for a timeshare purchase up until midnight of the fifth calendar day following the date you signed the contract (Nev. Rev. Stat. § 119A.410(1)).

One could call LVPD non-emergency number and tell them you are being held against your will in the Polo Towers and they will not return your property or let you leave.

And don’t go to any more updates! They have identified you as susceptible to their sales techniques. .

heatherd394 wrote:
Please advise if this phone number is still valid. We just experience a type of hostage situation at Polo Towers in order to get us to get 5,000 additional points to add to the 80k points we have been duped into buying over various different “updates”. We were not able to leave for over 4 hours as the sales agents had our DL’s and even after repeatedly telling them we could not afford to purchase any additional points 2 agents ganged up on us until we felt we could not leave until we signed on the dotted line. So upset and don’t know where to turn to get action on this company and it’s sales tactics. Please help us

Robert R.
Jan 18, 2020

Has anyone tried suing the salesperson and/or sales manager?

Henry E.
Jan 19, 2020

henrye30 wrote:

It's possible that they have tried. Whether or not there have been anyone successful at doing so is another story.

And why or for what would someone be suing or claiming? What resolutions would the plaintiff be seeking?

Lance C.

Last edited by lancec13 on Jan 19, 2020 08:15 PM

Jan 19, 2020

It took me 8 years to get out of the contract - felt more like a life sentence. My lawyer could not believe how clever and outright devious the Diamond Resorts contract was - almost as if it had been written with fraud in mind!

I am convinced that while legal action is an alternative, it is both expensive and ineffective. What needs to happen is that this organization should be the subject of a 60 Minutes investigation and exposed for what it is!

If nothing else, their business model serves as the classic example of Caveat Emptor - the legal term meaning "Let the buyer beware"

Rod M.
Jan 20, 2020

You can't sue anybody because I believe every Diamond Resorts International contract has an arbitration clause.

henrye30 wrote:

Robert R.
Jan 21, 2020

I am so fortunate to have found this forum! Long story short, my husband and I have been long time Diamond owners. The program has changed for the worse since when we first purchased. So many lies and half truths by these salespeople. When we were being up sold.. we were warned (threatened?) that if we did not buy more points and relinquish our deeded property into their new trust, that we will continue to pay two maintenance fees, never get the locations we wanted to travel, and pay increasing maintenance fees on the deeded property! We were also informed that we are subject personally for any liabilities on the unit.. Feeling confused and overwhelmed, we initially agreed to apply for their credit card to help pay the additional 13K we had to pay just for giving up my deed! During a break when they were” checking on what they could do to help us) 🙄 I called my son who was an attorney. He said not to purchase until we read both the old contract and he could review the new one. I explained this to the salespersons when they returned and needless to say... they were not happy. I also asked them to cancel the credit card application . Which they agreed to do , but did not do... They became rude, shaking their heads and saying how “they” had wanted their time.... 3 hours..insulted my son by implying that he doesn’t know what he is talking about.. and continued to insult our decision and threaten with this being our “last chance” to make our account right. They were wiping their hands of us .. We were angry and insulted and got up to leave when another salesperson came up and asked if there was anything he could do to make it right. He then said we had a no obligation way to be able to go home , review contracts and talk to my son. The sampler package. He said we had two years to use 20000 sampler points but if all we wanted was time.. don’t use the points, if we decided to buy , all of the purchase price of the sampler 4K, would be credited to the balance of the 13K price of the upgrade. If we decided not to purchase upgrade, we could cancel the sampler package for a refund. So.... unfortunately we believed him and bought the sampler package. Which we now realize very limited use. We want out of this credit card, a complete refund if the sampler package and... because of this final insult, rid of our timeshare. I hope to follow up with you on how to best accomplish this please? Has anyone heard if the Diamond transition program is a valid way to give them back their timeshare? Becky

Mary K.
Jan 21, 2020

becca86047 wrote:
I am so fortunate to have found this forum!

Has anyone heard if the Diamond transition program is a valid way to give them back their timeshare?

Diamond is taking back a limited select number of units if the mortgage is paid off and all the maintenance fees are paid. You have to contact its loss mitigation program. It might also charge you a fee but the fee will be worth it if you really want to get rid of what you have.

Lance C.
Feb 02, 2020

Lance There is no need to contact Loss Mitigation. Members only need click on the Transition tab and follow instructions. At least on our 4200 members Facebook all have been accepted in the hamster wheel of recycled inventory. Arbitration is a kangaroo court. At a trial I attended they said Diamond only lost one arbitration case because “you signed a contract” and most complaints are “The sales agent says” so too bad.

Irene P.
Feb 04, 2020

Not sure if you’re still looking for contract information but I’m looking for some help to try to get out of my contract. My husband just retired after 30 years in the military and we bought into this after being told they do adults only all exclusive. We’ve paid into this for a year haven’t used any of it because they do not cater to adults only all exclusive. Any help you have would be greatly appreciated thank you.

susanb1439 wrote:
Help us address concerns about DRI!

Disclaimer: The following is not intended to claim or infer that DRI has done anything wrong.

As some of you know, a group of people have been engaged in a long term private investigation of DRI's business practices. We are nearly finished, but the speed and quality of our work is dependent upon our ability to obtain more copies of DRI purchase documents. We'd like to obtain copies of contracts from every year and every state.

We need as many DRI members as possible to contribute their documents and time is of the essence. We have no need to know who you are and we will not ask you for that information. We encourage you to redact all personal identifiers before sharing your documents with us or anyone else.

The DRI contract is far from "iron clad". Although we do not give legal advice, if we see a specific item of interest in your contract we will certainly bring it to your attention. If we all work together on this we WILL be able to make a huge difference for all consumers.

Regards, Susan, Consumer Activist

Kimberly B.

Last edited by phyl21 on Feb 05, 2020 08:29 AM

Feb 05, 2020

I would like to know more about your efforts. I am challenging a recent contract on grounds that there was "no meeting of the minds".

Henry E.
Feb 05, 2020

henrye30 wrote:
I am challenging a recent contract on grounds that there was "no meeting of the minds".

Just be careful. I would not recommend hiring a lawyer. You also have to have proof that there was no "meeting of the minds".

When did you purchase and how much do you have left owing?

Lance C.
Feb 09, 2020

What if you had maintenance fees paid up and rci.fees paid up,and they placed a Block on my account and would not let me make a reservation. Even telling them it was to do with a medial reason, they would not lift the block. Please please I need advise, or please let me know what direction to go

Judy L.

Last edited by phyl21 on Feb 10, 2020 07:40 AM

Feb 21, 2020

We had the same situation we were invited several times to their orientation as we had a time share with Monarch Grand vacation which filled bankrupt and Diamonds resorts purchased their property. They kept on trying to convince us that is better for us to transfer our contract with deeds to points of Diamond resorts. The maintenance with diamond is tripled than what we pay now and my husband went to the orientation because they told him we will help you sell your deed and get your money back plus the Increase of the property value... of course they played a game lying telling us in order to be able to sell our deed we need to purchase and transfer to Diamonds after long talks they convinced us to purchase the sampler as this is the first step to transition they said if we do not like the sampler we can cancel it and get our money back which is a lie once you sign the contract you can’t cancel once the contract is signed . So they were misleading us and lying to us but we learned a good lesson that did coast us few thousands Dollars .

Claire G.

Last edited by claireg74 on Feb 21, 2020 10:21 AM

Feb 22, 2020

Hi Susan,

I am happy to provide my contract details. We signed up for the Standard 7,500 point package and within six months were brought to Las Vegas for what I was told would be an orientation program on how to to get the best out of our Diamond membership. When we arrived, there was absolutely no orientation. Instead, we were told how our 7,500 points would not be enough for a nice vacation and that we needed to upgrade to Silver. Unfortunately, we were convinced, through several lies and misrepresentations, and upgraded to Silver. When we actually booked our first Diamond property vacation, I received a call and we were invited to a Luau and dinner, all complimentary if we would agree to attend a meeting the next day. When I asked if this was going to be another sales meeting, the representative said no and that they just wanted to see how our membership was treating us so far. After asking multiple times to confirm that this wasn't going to be a sales presentation, I agreed to attend. After experiencing a very mediocre luau and dinner, we attended the meeting the next day and I was immediately placed with a salesperson who was trying to convince me that I really needed to upgrade to Gold. He said that if I didn't upgrade, my annual maintenance fees could reach 9k over the next 10 years. He even had a laminated chart that showed the increased fees year after year. This was a far cry from what I was originally told about a very nominal 1-2% increase (if any). The salesperson told me that if I upgraded to Gold, I could offset the annual maintenance fees with my points. I declined and when I went back to my room, I called customer service and they told me that I was given bad information and that you can't use points to pay maintenance fees. When I tried to call the salesperson back to inform him, he never picked up the phone. The Diamond membership is terrible and their goal is just to keep upgrading your membership. The salespeople lie and their properties are very low-end. They are not very nice, not the luxury units that I was originally promised. I've discovered that the cost of our annual fee more than pays for the vacation. I would like to know if it's possible to get my money back. I"m certainly not opposed to retaining an attorney, but know this can be a very slippery and costly slope.

kimberlyb569 wrote:
Not sure if you’re still looking for contract information but I’m looking for some help to try to get out of my contract. My husband just retired after 30 years in the military and we bought into this after being told they do adults only all exclusive. We’ve paid into this for a year haven’t used any of it because they do not cater to adults only all exclusive. Any help you have would be greatly appreciated thank you.

susanb1439 wrote:
Help us address concerns about DRI!

Disclaimer: The following is not intended to claim or infer that DRI has done anything wrong.

As some of you know, a group of people have been engaged in a long term private investigation of DRI's business practices. We are nearly finished, but the speed and quality of our work is dependent upon our ability to obtain more copies of DRI purchase documents. We'd like to obtain copies of contracts from every year and every state.

We need as many DRI members as possible to contribute their documents and time is of the essence. We have no need to know who you are and we will not ask you for that information. We encourage you to redact all personal identifiers before sharing your documents with us or anyone else.

The DRI contract is far from "iron clad". Although we do not give legal advice, if we see a specific item of interest in your contract we will certainly bring it to your attention. If we all work together on this we WILL be able to make a huge difference for all consumers.

Regards, Susan, Consumer Activist

Chris D.
Feb 24, 2020

neilr105 wrote:
I also know the loopholes to get you out of yours.

So do I. It's called Diamond's Transitions program.

Lance C.
Feb 24, 2020

Diamond Resrts is owned by Appolo Global Managment. The way they pitch new clients and owners is as follow lie about a froxen price, pack the price for a drop other word they lie about what you can do. They use tatics like

Equity for your kids and senior years, use points to pay for ownership, the list goes on and on

Call local district attorney for more info onfraud and elder abuse perhaps this may quaalify also report to attorney general

Kevin D.
Feb 24, 2020

In Nevada and California you do not file a complaint with the Attorney General. You file a complaint with the California Real Estate Division or the Nevada Real Estate Division against the agent. You should also file a complaint against the principal broker in those states. In Florida you file with DBPR and in Hawai DCCA. In Virginia, Missouri and Arizona you file with the AG. These are the statistics provided by the AG spokesperson at a legislative workshop I attended letting sales agents know they can say anything and get away with it:

Victoria Butler, from the Florida Attorney General’s Department of Consumer Protection, reported a figure of 1,500 to 1,600 complaints in recent years, with about 50% involving senior citizens. She said the majority of complaints were in regard to the initial sales presentation. Ms. Butler stated that the Florida timeshare division engaged only 42 complaints, the majority concerning resale.

All complaints we've followed, hundreds submitted, DBPR and NRED responded, “Verbal representations are difficult to prove.” It's very important to file complaints though. If no one filed complaints we would not have these statistics letting consumers know there is little to no regulation despite the CEO of Diamond pumping out in the media, "Timeshare is a highly regulated product." How? Our volunteers received 25 complaints against the same agent who earned $2.4 million a year, and admitted in a lawsuit he created reasons or problems why members needed to buy additional points. Still, NRED dismissed his complaints with a "You have no proof letter." We received the 8th complaint against an agent we have on a recording defrauding a 28 year old 90% disabled veteran in 2017. Instead of being fired he has continued to cause great harm with a horrific 8th complaint received about him just last week. The wife 75 and the husband 85 left with no choice but to default. And no one cares.

For a complete list of regulatory filings this is the link to our Facebook of over 4300 Diamond members launched by an economics professor: https://www.facebook.com/groups/DiamondResortsOwnersAdvocacy/

This from a lawsuit a top producer filed about the deceptive price freeze:

Case 1:17-cv-00562-DKW-RLP filed in Hawaii District Court

Page 10 of complaint

#43 Owners Update is deceptive because it is to sell points.

#44 Customer is told the current “list price” but the agent has to see someone else.

#48 the sales agent has customer sign a form indicating they were updated and the agent has to have the manager sign off.

#49 the sales manager has reviewed all prior customer contracts and the manager falsely states the customer was given a “price freeze” but none exists.

#50 (In bold) because of the “price freeze” only today can the customer buy for the discounted price.

#51 (In bold) the price given is the real price planned from the outset.

#52 the “price freeze” never existed because (a) The special deal available to this customer only is available to anyone and (b) Urgent to buy only for today

#54 this is lucky news for the customer – brand new information!

#55 the sales agent waits for the customer to “step in”

Irene P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.