Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Current Fees - to Renter and Owner

Apr 16, 2024

Hi. I've been renting through RedWeek for many years now and this is the first time I've seen a service fee to renters. Is this new? And why is this charge being introduced? thanks

Lori C.
Apr 27, 2024

Once you rent the time share do you also have to pay resort fees at the location?

Roxanne J.
Apr 28, 2024

Whether or not "resort fees" are charged depends upon the individual resort. Some don't charge resort fees at all, some charge only renters and "exchangers" (but not owners), some just charge everyone. Resort fees are completely unrelated to any charges that RedWeek imposes on rentals listed on the RedWeek site.

My suggestion would be to first directly ask the resort in which you are interested about the specific details of their resort fees and policy in order to learn accurate facts and figures and information for yourself and avoid any unwelcome "surprises" later.

It is reasonable to assume that if the resort charges resort fees to renters and exchangers, then those resort fees are not included in the rental cost that you are paying to the owner and that those (likely daily) resort fees will be charged to you on site, but it is best to "assume" nothing and instead just learn and confirm the accurate facts directly from the individual resort involved.

roxannej25 wrote:
Once you rent the time share do you also have to pay resort fees at the location?

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jun 05, 2024 03:12 AM

Jun 02, 2024

Same here, and it is NOT OK with me! Why should Redweek get any credit for your rental fee when you pay them a membership (sign-up) fee, plus a posting fee. They certainly don't refund any of that if your timeshare does not rent. Very disturbed by this greedy move!

Greg F.
Jun 04, 2024

I was surprised to see my one week listing for Marriot Manor Club to have an additional fee of $224 on a $2200 rental for which I have paid for a verified listing. That appears steep to me since that is an additional 10%. The posting says there are additional taxes. If you consider the amount of maintenance fees for this resort and the initial money invested to buy into this timeshare, your fees are forcing me to lower my rates to accommodate your higher fee at a significant monetary loss to me.

I have sent you an e-mail last week and have had no response. Your staff is much more responsive when I want to place and ad. Vera D.

Vera D.
Jun 12, 2024

I am somewhat confused by how this works. A friend told me to go here to find a great deal. Is it the cost for the week plus the maintenance fee? And what does it mean by “make an offer?”

Heather G.

Last edited by heatherg561 on Jun 12, 2024 07:41 AM

Jun 13, 2024

heatherg561 wrote:
I am somewhat confused by how this works. A friend told me to go here to find a great deal. Is it the cost for the week plus the maintenance fee? And what does it mean by “make an offer?”

Not sure from your post whether you are looking at renting a timeshare week or buying a resale timeshare week on RedWeek. Owners of timeshares pay their own mandatory annual maintenance fees; people who rent from owners do not pay the owner's maintenence fees. If you are buying (not just renting) a week, then payment of the current year maintenance fees and / or the next available use can sometimes be negotiated between buyer and seller.

You reference "make an offer" language, which suggests that perhaps you are looking at buying (not just renting) a timeshare. "Make an offer" means exactly that --- you can submit an offer for a resale listing offering a lower figure than the listed price. Owner may choose not to entertain any offers with numbers lower than their advertised price (which is their prerogative), but there is certainly no harm in trying to negotiate a mutually acceptable figure. Good luck.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jun 13, 2024 05:35 AM

Jun 25, 2024

I have noted that Redweeks additional fees amount to, and adds, approximately 10% to most listings. Please clarify why that is so if the rate is supposed to be 6-7% per earlier Redweeks replies in this string?

Michael R.
Jul 06, 2024

I see there is a "Service Fee" on rentals.

I have never seen that fee before. Could you explain what that fee is and who pays it, the renter or the rentee?

Blase

Blase J.
Jul 08, 2024

There is an anomaly in the way postings are listed that work to the disadvantage of a full service listing. According to the rep who returned my inquiry (they no longer list a phone number to call), California law requires that the total listing price include all fees. However this doesn't apply to non-full service listings (I was told because those people are "expected" to collect their own fees). That puts you at a disadvantage of hundreds of dollars in placing an otherwise "apples to apples" listing (in addition to paying more for a full service listing), making your listing look like it costs significantly more. Is this a fallacy in Redweek's interpretation of the law, or otherwise?

Steve W.
Aug 13, 2024

I see a $305 service fee attached to a $3109 rental listing bringing the total to $3414. Does the service fee include the CC processing fee of 5% ($155), if so, what is the other $150 for? Thank you Robert

Robert T.
Aug 17, 2024

Specifically what fees are being collected from the renter when they rent a "Full Service" listing? I was surprised to see our rental was up by over $300 from the fee we had decided to rent for . . . and yes . . . when you look at a listing that is not "Full Service" it does appear that they are a better deal as they typically seem to be rented for less and they don't have that fee . . . so again what fee's are being collected or is this just a commision being charged by Redweek?

Michael P.
Sep 16, 2024

I may be wrong, but i think when you purchase a DIY ad, then you add the Verified and Protected, or when you purchase the full service ad, either way, where Redweek uses and takes care of the rental contract, and they collect the rental fees, and then distribute the funds to the owner, I believe they then charge the renter an additional amount of approximately 9.5% of the rental price, for these services, doing the contact and handling the rent money. I believe the owner, pays the price of the ad they choose, and now has to pay a $99 fee as well, when the timeshare is rented, which I believe is deducted from the rental amount. A few years ago, I don't believe the owner ever had a way of seeing the additional charges that were past onto the renter, but now with the new law in Ca. I believe they have to show the full amount that renter will pay with all the fees included.

Rebecca W.
Sep 23, 2024

Question about setting rental rate: Hawaii has State, county and local taxes that apply to rental income for short term timeshare rentals. These total approximately 12.5 to 14% % last time I rented my unit on Kauai. My question is, using the "full service" option on RedWeek, are these taxes shown as taxes an broken out separately in addition to the rental rate I am listing at a la VRBO/AIrBnB, or do I need to plan for it and gross up my rates to cover that cost. Example - suppose I list my unit at $5,000 for a week. I will owe the state/county/local taxes of approx $625 - %750 for that week.

Mark R.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.