Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Is there an honest Timeshare transfer company....no upfront fees?

May 23, 2024

read the next one

NoOneYouKnow

Last edited by nooneyouknow on May 23, 2024 03:18 PM

May 23, 2024

Actually, there was a big Class-action, about 20 years ago.

All it accomplished was to legitimize the objectionable items the lawsuit was all about, so that today those are just SOP.

There have been many actions taken against entities in the timeshare industry.

But, life goes on.

NoOneYouKnow
May 24, 2024

nooneyouknow wrote:
Actually, there was a big Class-action, about 20 years ago.

All it accomplished was to legitimize the objectionable items the lawsuit was all about, so that today those are just SOP.

There have been many actions taken against entities in the timeshare industry.

But, life goes on.

Unless I am mistaken, the "big class action" to which you make vague reference was filed against RCI. The only result (after lengthy litigation) was RCI modifying it's handling of "exchange" inventory availability and "deposit" valuations. An unimpressive fizzle, IMnsHO, with the biggest beneficiaries being the lawyers.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on May 24, 2024 04:10 AM

May 24, 2024

yup

It made renting out deposit inventory SOP.

During that period (early 2000's) I tracked SWFL exchange inventory in January. At it's peak there would be 16-20 available exchanges.

That all ended.

Obviously, they could rent out those prime deposits to the public for a lot more than any exchange fee from subscribers.

Cendant was a nasty company.

Now, 20 years later, all I use RCI for is getting friends $300 rentals.

We now live all winter in SW FL, for less money than we used to trade into for a couple of weeks.

Oh yeah, we still own two weeks, but for day use, not for vacations. One is our beach club and the other is for golf.

NoOneYouKnow

Last edited by nooneyouknow on May 24, 2024 04:38 PM

Jun 20, 2024

We bought Wyndham vacation club in Feb 2024. We didn’t realize other costs associated with Booking thru RCI and paying for housekeeping fees. We want out. We still owe on the mortgage and are current on the maintenance fees. We can’t afford to continue paying. We are seniors and have limited income. If we stop paying we’ll get a bad credit for 7 years, and go on foreclosure. Can Wyndham go after our assets and small amount of savings that we have? What can happen if we foreclose?

Trini F.
Jun 21, 2024

Do you need credit?

Start hounding them, and be politely relentless, like that yippy little dog that grabs onto your pant leg and you can't shake off.

Being an impoverished Senior is a good angle.

Use the Internet and find how others have done it. Maybe google "Wyndham Deedback".

The one (of around 10) that I finally got a resort to take a week back charged me two annual fees.

Our Florida resort regularly does administrative foreclosure for nonproductive weeks, and no one seems to be complaining. It is a plus for all owners and the resort because those weeks get rented out for more than an annual fee, and are made available to other owners. We actually bought one from the resort.

You never know what might happen until you try.

NoOneYouKnow

Last edited by nooneyouknow on Jun 21, 2024 05:12 AM

Jun 28, 2024

You default. Wyndham forecloses. I can say they just take the points back, only because I attended a five day trial listening to their expert witness, Ramona Harrington, state under oath that after about 180 days, they simply take the points back. Yes, your credit score can drop up to 200 points, but compared to paying maintenance fees and the loan it's sometimes worth it. Other resorts, Holiday Inn, Hilton, Westgate, have turned around and attempted to sue on the promissory note deficiency judgment, thus doubling their money if they are successful because they buy it back on auction for $100 and turn around and resell at full price. To my knowledge, they have not been successful, but the strategy is to rack up legal fees for the law firm as they don't charge more to defend them in court. There is no law that states they have to foreclose. One person filed for bankruptcy, then 7 years later, learned they still owned it because as an abandoned asset, it was never liquidated.

Irene P.
Jun 28, 2024

Ain't timesharing fun?

It was a semi-viable concept up until about 20 years ago.

NoOneYouKnow
Jul 04, 2024

What timeshare company is it and what do you own? Thanks Brian

Brian S.
Jul 25, 2024

I would like to buy anybody RCI points and transfer them into my rci account.

Ralph H.

Last edited by dottip on Jul 25, 2024 08:11 PM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.