Marriott's Ocean Pointe

Trading silver season for platinum season

Apr 17, 2008

Does anyone trade their silver season for the platinum season at Ocean Pointe? If so, are you successful in getting what you want? I own a platinum season and am considering purchasing a silver season (better price) and then hoping to have two consecutive weeks in the platinum season. I am worried that after I purchase the silver season it won't work knowing how hard it is just to get what I want with my ocean- front platinum. If anyone has done this I would appreciate hearing from you. The salesman at Ocean Pointe said since it is in-house I would get first pick with Interval but I am still leary. Don't want two weeks in two different seasons far apart. Thanks.

Marion P.
Dec 13, 2008

It's not easy. I've done it in the past once or twice. You have to be flexible with your dates, and will probably wind up visiting in January or April, which are less desirable than February and March.

In one case, I was able to trade a 2 bedroom oceanfront for a 2 bedroom oceanview. In another I only got a 1 bedroom oceanview. It's easy to trade a 2 BR for a studio in platinum season. And of course, it's easy to trade anything platinum for silver. A platinum studio can sometimes get you a silver 2 bedroom.

We own one silver week at OPT and two platinum weeks at OPT and Beachplace in Ft. Lauderdale. With the two platinum weeks we are able to reserve 13 months in advance. 13 month advance reservations is the biggest advantage of owning in platinum rather than in silver or gold, but even so it is not so easy to get the most desirable weeks in late February or March. Platinum weeks at Beachplace cost less than platinum weeks at OPT and can be exchanged to OPT under the Florida Club plan.

Joel E.
Jun 17, 2009

marionp8 wrote:
Does anyone trade their silver season for the platinum season at Ocean Pointe? If so, are you successful in getting what you want? I own a platinum season and am considering purchasing a silver season (better price) and then hoping to have two consecutive weeks in the platinum season. I am worried that after I purchase the silver season it won't work knowing how hard it is just to get what I want with my ocean- front platinum. If anyone has done this I would appreciate hearing from you. The salesman at Ocean Pointe said since it is in-house I would get first pick with Interval but I am still leary. Don't want two weeks in two different seasons far apart. Thanks.

In my opinion, you can exchange a silver week from Ocean Pointe for a platinum week at Ocean Pointe. My wife an I did it this year.

If you discuss this with Interval, they should tell you that you get a higher priority in the request queue by offering a 3br villa, then 2br villa for trade. In our case, we deposited a 1br oceanside villa and exchanged for an oceanside platinum villa in March. We deposited the week in 2008 and were notified by our II rep in June 2008. I think we were fortunate because owners who deposited 3br and 2br villas were higher on the list than us and I assume we did not get our request filled until the ones above us were filled first.

One other thing to consider is how many platinum owners deposit their weeks for exchange in the platinum season. If not too many weeks are usually available, then your chances of getting an exchange are lower no matter what you offer.

Tim

Timothy S.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.