Nov 18, 2012

klalaw07 wrote:
If you don't work for Marriott you should as they can't explain this. First what do you mean, Marriott Deed does not guarantee I can stay in a Marriott? Are you meaning just with II? 2nd. You can hardly exchange with II as before when point owners are not depositing to II and few deeded owners are left to do so.3rd. I have weeks 51 and 52 at Maui. I want an additional bedroom for same time. Please guide me into renting points for this ASAP. Sounds like I need to join RedWeek and TUG now to manage my Marriott deeded weeks? Any others? If I buy points for the 2 days prior to my week 51 can I then book them followed by 51 and 52 two days ahead of 13 months?

Yes. The rules have changed, but I want you to know that for someone like you the rules have actually changed for the better. The reason is because you have a highly demanded property at prime time. From what I gather, you have 2 weeks during Christmas and New Years. Those are platinum plus weeks. You paid prime dollars for these weeks and Marriott has rewarded you with giving you lot of Destination Points (DC)if you choose to convert them on any given year to stay at other Marriotts. I am not talking about Marriott Rewards Points. I am talking about the Destination Points. The Destination Points are the ones that allow you to book at other Marriott Timeshares and book cruises and tours. If you have a 2 bdrm mountain view you probably get somewhere near 11,000 points in the DC. This would give you Premier status in the DC and you would have priority in making reservations. When I said you were not guaranteed to stay at a Marriott, I meant you are guaranteed to stay at your Maui property and only that property. If you wanted to stay at say Ko Olina, Barony Beach or Surfwatch, there was no guarantee by Marriott for you to have the ability to do that. You can go through Interval International, but they don't have to provide you with a Marriott to be exchanged into, they could give you a Westin or a no name brand. However, understand that you have a highly demanded property so in most cases depending when you deposit, you will have preferential treatment with Interval International but there are no guarantees.

It is important that if you are going to stay at your Maui property, you don't want to convert to Destination points. You want to make you regular reservation like you always have. You would not have enough points to exchange back into your property. That is the way it is for all of the owners who want to exchange into their properties. Just reserve it like always and you should have no problem. I you want to add on extra nights, I would suggest that you rent the points. The points must be in your account when you make the reservation. I cannot give you the website, but if you send me a pm, I can share the website. Marriott allows owners to transfer points amongst each others account as I described above. You could just add the additional points to your account and then add the two days. It's legit and many owners are happy with it.

Marriott owns units that it has not sold yet in weeks 51 & 52. They, like you, have the right to sell or rent those units. They pay maintenance fees on those units like you. What they have done is made all of the weeks that they still own open only to those with DC points. This is not just for Maui but for all of their properties in which they have excess inventory. They could rent them to you or make them available to weeks owners if they wanted to, but why should they when they could make top dollar buy making them available to DC points owners or rent them for crazy money. Remember, they are a FOR PROFIT company.

There are as many deeded owners as there has always been. When people convert to points they still have their deed. They only convert to points if they want to exchange into another Marriott, exchange with II or use the other opportunities like tours or use hotels. In fact, there are actually more opportunities for owner like yourself to give up your week than there were before with only II or exchanging for MRP points were the only options.

I hope this helps. I don't work for Marriott but I own at Ko Olina and I along with many others have found the points option very advantageous in some situations. If I were you, I would definitely look at the forum on tug2.net and look at the Marriott forum. You will find many, many knowledgeable owners who can better inform you as to how to get the most out of the points system. You are in a catbird's seat and don't seem to know it. You should be one of the happy campers with the Marriott option. Learn to get the maximum from your ownership. Try it, you'll like it.

Charles S.
Nov 19, 2012

Sorry, am not conversant with how to send you my pm. Maybe you could send me one and I can respond. Would appreciate getting the website. Have just been told that I must be enrolled in the Points system in order to rent points.

charless345 wrote:
klalaw07 wrote:
If you don't work for Marriott you should as they can't explain this. First what do you mean, Marriott Deed does not guarantee I can stay in a Marriott? Are you meaning just with II? 2nd. You can hardly exchange with II as before when point owners are not depositing to II and few deeded owners are left to do so.3rd. I have weeks 51 and 52 at Maui. I want an additional bedroom for same time. Please guide me into renting points for this ASAP. Sounds like I need to join RedWeek and TUG now to manage my Marriott deeded weeks? Any others? If I buy points for the 2 days prior to my week 51 can I then book them followed by 51 and 52 two days ahead of 13 months?

Yes. The rules have changed, but I want you to know that for someone like you the rules have actually changed for the better. The reason is because you have a highly demanded property at prime time. From what I gather, you have 2 weeks during Christmas and New Years. Those are platinum plus weeks. You paid prime dollars for these weeks and Marriott has rewarded you with giving you lot of Destination Points (DC)if you choose to convert them on any given year to stay at other Marriotts. I am not talking about Marriott Rewards Points. I am talking about the Destination Points. The Destination Points are the ones that allow you to book at other Marriott Timeshares and book cruises and tours. If you have a 2 bdrm mountain view you probably get somewhere near 11,000 points in the DC. This would give you Premier status in the DC and you would have priority in making reservations. When I said you were not guaranteed to stay at a Marriott, I meant you are guaranteed to stay at your Maui property and only that property. If you wanted to stay at say Ko Olina, Barony Beach or Surfwatch, there was no guarantee by Marriott for you to have the ability to do that. You can go through Interval International, but they don't have to provide you with a Marriott to be exchanged into, they could give you a Westin or a no name brand. However, understand that you have a highly demanded property so in most cases depending when you deposit, you will have preferential treatment with Interval International but there are no guarantees.

It is important that if you are going to stay at your Maui property, you don't want to convert to Destination points. You want to make you regular reservation like you always have. You would not have enough points to exchange back into your property. That is the way it is for all of the owners who want to exchange into their properties. Just reserve it like always and you should have no problem. I you want to add on extra nights, I would suggest that you rent the points. The points must be in your account when you make the reservation. I cannot give you the website, but if you send me a pm, I can share the website. Marriott allows owners to transfer points amongst each others account as I described above. You could just add the additional points to your account and then add the two days. It's legit and many owners are happy with it.

Marriott owns units that it has not sold yet in weeks 51 & 52. They, like you, have the right to sell or rent those units. They pay maintenance fees on those units like you. What they have done is made all of the weeks that they still own open only to those with DC points. This is not just for Maui but for all of their properties in which they have excess inventory. They could rent them to you or make them available to weeks owners if they wanted to, but why should they when they could make top dollar buy making them available to DC points owners or rent them for crazy money. Remember, they are a FOR PROFIT company.

There are as many deeded owners as there has always been. When people convert to points they still have their deed. They only convert to points if they want to exchange into another Marriott, exchange with II or use the other opportunities like tours or use hotels. In fact, there are actually more opportunities for owner like yourself to give up your week than there were before with only II or exchanging for MRP points were the only options.

I hope this helps. I don't work for Marriott but I own at Ko Olina and I along with many others have found the points option very advantageous in some situations. If I were you, I would definitely look at the forum on tug2.net and look at the Marriott forum. You will find many, many knowledgeable owners who can better inform you as to how to get the most out of the points system. You are in a catbird's seat and don't seem to know it. You should be one of the happy campers with the Marriott option. Learn to get the maximum from your ownership. Try it, you'll like it.

klalaw
Nov 19, 2012

I am not able to pm you either. I did not realize that you could not do that on Redweek.

Yes, you have to be a points owner to be able to rent points. For some reason, I thought you already belonged to the Destination Club program. I will say this to you, if all you want to do is go to your resort each Christmas with your four weeks and never exchange, then you don't need to join the Destinations Club. However, if you want to exchange to other Marriotts, utilize your lockoff privelges, trade for Marrriott Rewards points, take advantage of tour or cruise options, or save on II fees, then you should join the Destination Club because for you its a slam dunk on saving on fees each and every year. I don't know how much it cost to join because I know it went up after 2 years, but for someone with 4 of the weeks you own, you would greatly benefit from joining in a big way.

Go to the tug2.net site under timeshare community forums and search with the words renting marriott destination club points. You should be able to find the link or address to the site in which you can rent points under the posts. The member Greg T is the founder of the site and he is a Marriott owner too.

Charles S.

Last edited by charless345 on Nov 19, 2012 07:41 PM

Nov 19, 2012

Thanks, will try that. I have a week at Canyon Villas and one at Desert Springs I. Always use Maui OC and DS1 every year. Is it worth me putting CV, alone, into points ( 2950 pts.). If so, why? Also have fair amount of HGVC points, which I also use up, but find these points so simple to use.

charless345 wrote:
I am not able to pm you either. I did not realize that you could not do that on Redweek.

Yes, you have to be a points owner to be able to rent points. For some reason, I thought you already belonged to the Destination Club program. I will say this to you, if all you want to do is go to your resort each Christmas with your four weeks and never exchange, then you don't need to join the Destinations Club. However, if you want to exchange to other Marriotts, utilize your lockoff privelges, trade for Marrriott Rewards points, take advantage of tour or cruise options, or save on II fees, then you should join the Destination Club because for you its a slam dunk on saving on fees each and every year. I don't know how much it cost to join because I know it went up after 2 years, but for someone with 4 of the weeks you own, you would greatly benefit from joining in a big way.

Go to the tug2.net site under timeshare community forums and search with the words renting marriott destination club points. You should be able to find the link or address to the site in which you can rent points under the posts. The member Greg T is the founder of the site and he is a Marriott owner too.

klalaw
Nov 19, 2012

Checked the rents. It would cost a small fortune for enough points to add a week to mine. Would be better spent to buy points. Rent is way more than half of what I would have bought points for originally.

charless345 wrote:

klalaw
Nov 20, 2012

klalaw07 wrote:
Checked the rents. It would cost a small fortune for enough points to add a week to mine. Would be better spent to buy points. Rent is way more than half of what I would have bought points for originally.

charless345 wrote:

How many points do you need? How many units are you trying to rent? What view? If you are looking to rent an additional unit for only one time, why would you buy points? I guess I was not clear on what you were looking for. People rent points for about .50 per point. So if you were in need of another unit for one time then I would say rent. If you were going to need all the time, then I would say buy one resale instead of points.

Charles S.
Nov 21, 2012

If I go to points I will get 6450 and 8375 for my OF weeks 51 and 52. Total 14,825. To rent points to get an additional week at both, I would need 7800 and 9000. Total 16,800. (1975 more than I get). To get into Lahaina tower I would need 9,050 and 10,425. Total 19,475. (4650 more than I get). To rent at 50 cents a point, see what I mean?

charless345 wrote:
klalaw07 wrote:

charless345 wrote:

How many points do you need? How many units are you trying to rent? What view? If you are looking to rent an additional unit for only one time, why would you buy points? I guess I was not clear on what you were looking for. People rent points for about .50 per point. So if you were in need of another unit for one time then I would say rent. If you were going to need all the time, then I would say buy one resale instead of points.

klalaw
Nov 21, 2012

klalaw07 wrote:
If I go to points I will get 6450 and 8375 for my OF weeks 51 and 52. Total 14,825. To rent points to get an additional week at both, I would need 7800 and 9000. Total 16,800. (1975 more than I get). To get into Lahaina tower I would need 9,050 and 10,425. Total 19,475. (4650 more than I get). To rent at 50 cents a point, see what I mean?

charless345 wrote:
klalaw07 wrote:

charless345 wrote:

I totally get you now. You want to OWN additional weeks forever. I was thinking that you just just wanted from time to time add a studio or a one bedroom for additional guests from time to time. Well if that's the case and you want additional units, the best way is to buy resale. I don't know if you could get one past Marriott ROFR now. They are exercising it again and I am sure at Maui because of its popularity and demand, you may find it difficult to sneak one by them. I would definitely try to buy one on Redweek or Ebay if there are resales there for Maui. You never know.

I will say that without a doubt you should be in the DC program. You would have so much clout in the system with the weeks you own. You would be Premier Platinum and would be able to make your reservations for other locations earlier than everyone else and your exchanges within Marriott would be simpler. Plus, you would save so much money on FEES. In my opinion, and I am sure if you spoke with several other owners who are knowledgeable about the points program, this would be a no brainer. However, if all you want to do is to just go to your resorts and you use each of the rooms as they are and don't lock off or go to other properties, then you don't need to join the DC program.

Charles S.

Last edited by charless345 on Nov 21, 2012 08:10 AM

Nov 21, 2012

Klawa,

I see that there are two resales for week 51 here on Redweek for Maui Ocean Club. One is an oceanfront 2 bedroom for $75,000 and the other one is a 3 bedroom oceanfront and they are asking for $98,000.

These are extremely expensive asking prices in my opinion. However, they are only ASKING prices. They won't see for those amounts. You can make them an offer less than ridiculous amounts.

Good luck on that.

Charles S.
Nov 24, 2012

Actually, no, for this year, I just wanted to rent additional space to run along with my time

charless345 wrote:
klalaw07 wrote:

charless345 wrote:
klalaw07 wrote:

charless345 wrote:

I totally get you now. You want to OWN additional weeks forever. I was thinking that you just just wanted from time to time add a studio or a one bedroom for additional guests from time to time. Well if that's the case and you want additional units, the best way is to buy resale. I don't know if you could get one past Marriott ROFR now. They are exercising it again and I am sure at Maui because of its popularity and demand, you may find it difficult to sneak one by them. I would definitely try to buy one on Redweek or Ebay if there are resales there for Maui. You never know.

I will say that without a doubt you should be in the DC program. You would have so much clout in the system with the weeks you own. You would be Premier Platinum and would be able to make your reservations for other locations earlier than everyone else and your exchanges within Marriott would be simpler. Plus, you would save so much money on FEES. In my opinion, and I am sure if you spoke with several other owners who are knowledgeable about the points program, this would be a no brainer. However, if all you want to do is to just go to your resorts and you use each of the rooms as they are and don't lock off or go to other properties, then you don't need to join the DC program.

klalaw
Sep 10, 2013

We own weeks at Maui Ocean Club and Ocean Pointe in West Palm, and we will NOT convert to the point system. When we trade thru Interval International, we often get a bonus week so by locking off our unit and adding a bonus week, we get three weeks out of one, and this would never happen with the point system. If we go to a sales presentation, they have become more and more aggressive about trying to convince us to convert. The last salesman was relentless and the presentation was 2 1/2 hrs. Long vs. the 90 min. They promise. We were very angry about it and made a complaint to Marriott. We will not be attending any more presentations.

Sally C.
Sep 10, 2013

The new point system has been in place since mid 2010 when we joined and by now the new program has probably settled in. While I enrolled our weeks and bought some points, I am not convinced that the new points program has enhanced my portfolio in any significant way. I have found, especially this year, that the good weeks/days are gone very quickly causing me to think that our best option is to hold back on deposits for points. If I have points but no inventory I want is available, what good are the points? From my view, the point system provides currency, the points, to too many competitors for the same "most desirable" weeks. If I own a hot week, I seem to be better off to either use it or rent it using the $ proceeds to rent the week I do want.

Den

Last edited by dennish144 on Sep 10, 2013 08:20 PM

May 17, 2014

The same thing just happened to us at Ocean Point!, we were told by Shelly that the points are a rip off to rent because of the extra charges imposed by Marriott. She was very aggressive, loud, condescending...never again...

sallyc123 wrote:
We own weeks at Maui Ocean Club and Ocean Pointe in West Palm, and we will NOT convert to the point system. When we trade thru Interval International, we often get a bonus week so by locking off our unit and adding a bonus week, we get three weeks out of one, and this would never happen with the point system. If we go to a sales presentation, they have become more and more aggressive about trying to convince us to convert. The last salesman was relentless and the presentation was 2 1/2 hrs. Long vs. the 90 min. They promise. We were very angry about it and made a complaint to Marriott. We will not be attending any more presentations.

Judy G.
May 18, 2014

I cannot agree with you more. Marriott took our money when they wanted us to buy and that whole points systems is a joke. I would have to save three years worth of points to go to Hawaii or anywhere else for that matter. i have always been able to exchange and we also have a second bedroom where we can lockoff and get and extra week. I spoke with a lawyer about how Marriott changed the terms and conditions of our timeshare agreements (only for the btterment of them) and he suggested a Class Action Lawsuit. I am very upset with marriott and according to blogs and other internet post so are alot of others.

Debbie D.
May 19, 2014

debbied189 wrote:
I cannot agree with you more. Marriott took our money when they wanted us to buy and that whole points systems is a joke. I would have to save three years worth of points to go to Hawaii or anywhere else for that matter. i have always been able to exchange and we also have a second bedroom where we can lockoff and get and extra week. I spoke with a lawyer about how Marriott changed the terms and conditions of our timeshare agreements (only for the btterment of them) and he suggested a Class Action Lawsuit. I am very upset with marriott and according to blogs and other internet post so are alot of others.

So when you told the lawyer that you did not have to join the points program and that it voluntary for you to participate it, what did he say about the class action suit?

Charles S.
May 26, 2014

Charles u sure seem like u work for marriott! The lawyers others have contacted said Marriott has a lot of money and lawyers who worked on this so hard to accomplish. It isn't that u joined points it is the misinformation Marriott provides in the presentations,,,,,,,,but, you will note, NOT in writing! Never are told how many points they can sell in total, selling air etc. for instance, being told there would always be a hotel at our resort for us to book extra rooms and later told do u have it in writing. Secondly, only on persevering finding out that it took more points to get into you own resort than you would be given if you changed. Seeing empty rooms at holiday time but not being able to have booked them either on points (too many) or trade. We are very sorry we bought points to add to our resorts as we have had real trouble using them to get into units we wanted. Now have days we don't really want but had to use within 2 yrs .......of trying to get in. Love the resort. It should just buy on the resale market or rent from owners. We need a Marriott owners website NOT ied to Marriott.

klalaw

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.