Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Has anyone dealt with GiveBackTimeshare.com?

Apr 27, 2010

I would be interested in feedback about GiveBackTimeshare.com that says they sell timeshares for no money upfront.

Peg G.
Apr 28, 2010

They are a postcard company that you pay $3000+ to take your timeshare off your hands by supposedly using a power of attorney and they then turn around and put it on Ebay for $1, however there are some postcard companies that do not transfer the ownership out of your name and you are still billed for future maintenance fees.

R P.
Apr 28, 2010

Thanks for the input. Greatly appreciated!

Peg G.
Sep 28, 2011

Not quite yet but they are asking for money up front. check the reviews on the internet first before signing on the "line."

Ali A.
Sep 28, 2011

alia43 wrote:
Not quite yet but they are asking for money up front. check the reviews on the internet first before signing on the "line."

I don't understand your post. Are you responding to a question that was asked nearly a year and a half ago? Or are you asking for advice about this (post card) company?

Lance C.
Sep 29, 2011

Thank you for your input...very helpful. There are so many companies scamming innocent people.

Ali A.
Sep 29, 2011

I was contacting yesterday by Givebacktimeshare.com.

Ali A.
Jun 27, 2012

I have dealt with giving back a timeshare on my own. I simply called the resort and told them we could no longer pay the maintenance fees. We owned the property out right. I submitted a letter explaining our finances. It was then taken to the board of trustees. In the end, they took took it back. Good Luck!

Zoobie

Ruth B.
Jun 28, 2012

ruthb171 wrote:
I have dealt with giving back a timeshare on my own. I simply called the resort and told them we could no longer pay the maintenance fees. We owned the property out right. I submitted a letter explaining our finances. It was then taken to the board of trustees. In the end, they took took it back. Good Luck!

Zoobie

This is the legitimate way to do it and if the resort refuses the deedback then try giving it away. Never, ever pay any entity a large upfront fee to rid yourself of your timeshare .... they're all scams.

R P.
Feb 18, 2014

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/07/15/what-to-do-with-a-timeshare-you-no-longer-want/

This is a great site all around! You should never give any money up front to sell your timeshare... EVER! If they say that RUN!!! It's still yours and in selling anything of yours should you give money up front. They can lie to you and just take the money & run! They might even tell you they are working on selling it and you need to pay them every month until it sells. It's only bells & whistles. Or like I say BS! They want to keep taking again... Your money! They also will not pay the maintenance fees...while you wait for them to fake sell. I've been doing much research on this because I'm a very skeptical person when it comes to my money. Plus my father and I were trying to sell, but its pretty hard these days. We had to let it go due to the costly maintenance fees. One more thing... Company's that say they are BBB credited are not safe either. They can pay to put it up and make fake reviews. Like others have said... Research the hell out of any and everything for your own safety.

Indigo G.

Last edited by indigog on Feb 18, 2014 12:38 PM

Feb 18, 2014

That's good advice. The donate for a cause companies all look suspicious to me.

John B.
Feb 18, 2014

We used this company and yes there are some good things and not so good. What we like about it was after we signed with them, we no longer were responsible for maint. fees and dues.

The timeshare (resort) we had has just gone bkrpt. so I think we got rid of it just in time. I don't know what the future would have held for us but the stress was enough for us to want to get rid of it once and for all.

Judith O.
Feb 18, 2014

The problem is whether or not the people you're dealing with are who they say they are. Give Back Timeshare is a DBA for V.I. Network, which you can see here:

http://www.bbb.org/central-florida/business-reviews/timeshare-resale-and-rental-marketing/v-i-network-in-orlando-fl-134612180#

Now, addressing BBB ratings and accreditation is another conversation for a different forum, but what you can see on the BBB page is that there are apparently people pretending to be Give Back Timeshare who are just stealing money from people via Green Dot, Western Union or Money Pac.

There's also a Give Back Timeshare LLC, which is registered to Redemption and Release. You can visit their website here:

http://redemptionandrelease.com/

Now on all of Redemption and Releases websites they constantly hint towards their BBB rating, but all you ever see is an OBB link with a copy and pasted "A+" from the BBB. Not a good sign. Another bad sign is the fact that they've attached their name and "BBB" to multiple articles that have nothing to do with the BBB, so when you try to search for their BBB page you get nothing but a bunch of nonsense. However, if you search the BBB directly you'll find their page (No Rating) which was only opened a few months ago (the BBB page, not the business itself), which I've listed here:

http://www.bbb.org/richmond/business-reviews/timeshare-deed-and-or-title-transfer/redemption-release-llc-in-richmond-va-63403109/

So you're dealing with one of three things:

1) People pretending to be V.I. Network (A.K.A. Give Back Timeshare), but they actually have no affiliation and are just trying to steal your money.

2) People who work for Redemption and Release, which doesn't have anything horrible pending like a lawsuit, but they raise more red flags than China does at a national flag raising ceremony.

3) People who actually work for V.I. Network, which is an accredited business, but with multiple complaints.

J V.

Last edited by jordanv6 on Feb 18, 2014 03:12 PM

Jan 18, 2018

I tried this company about three weeks ago. I have a one bedroom, even year, float, deeded and paid $7800 for Westgate Smokey Mountain in TN. They were not interested in buying my timeshare. Their advertisement is misleading. I don't know what type of timeshare they are looking for, but mine was not what they wanted.

Cynatta J.
Jan 18, 2018

cynattaj wrote:
I tried this company about three weeks ago. I have a one bedroom, even year, float, deeded and paid $7800 for Westgate Smokey Mountain in TN. They were not interested in buying my timeshare. Their advertisement is misleading. I don't know what type of timeshare they are looking for, but mine was not what they wanted.

What did their advertisement say that was misleading? From what you described, very few people would want to take what you have even if it were free, let alone buy it from you. Understand that, even though you might have paid $7800 for your unit, it doesn't mean that someone else will buy it from you for that amount.

Lance C.
Jan 20, 2018

cynattaj wrote:

I am not aware of ANY third party company that actually BUYS timeshares. Not one. Not anywhere.

By the way, no one shopping in the timeshare resale market cares one bit what the original purchaser may have paid to a developer. That figure has no meaning or relevance whatsoever in the resale market, where the actual resale value simply "is whatever it is" out in today's marketplace.

Unfortunately, Westgate products tend to be worth literally NOTHING in the resale market. This is because of restrictive reservation constraints which Westgate (deliberately and willfully) imposes upon all Westgate ownerships purchased in the resale market. When it comes to Wesgate, timeshare ownerships purchased developer-direct have value only in the actual use and enjoyment of the product itself. Beyond that actual "use and enjoyment" value, Westgate ownerships are essentially worthless in the resale market. You would be very lucky to even find someone willing to take it for free.

Please don't shoot the messenger. Despite being unwelcome news, the above is completely accurate and truthful information.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jan 20, 2018 10:21 AM

Jan 07, 2019

I like the feedback from Ken. I also own an Westgate time share and was looking to get it off my hands, but find you comments a wake-up call. It gives me a good footing when approaching an outfit to sell. If it turns out as your observations... I'll have to keep and pass on to a family member. I refuse to just give that kind of money away. Ken, thanks again for the insight. - MSM, Sr

Marlon M.
Apr 07, 2020

Has anyone had success giving back a timeshare to Hyatt Residence Club?

Diana F.
Apr 07, 2020

dianaf175 wrote:
Has anyone had success giving back a timeshare to Hyatt Residence Club?

The real question is whether HRC accepts deedbacks at all.

One phone call directly to Hyatt will answer that question for you, immediately and accurately. If the answer is yes and HRC considers your particular ownership "eligible", they will provide you with the details you need to know regarding the procedure / steps / forms --- and costs. Hyatt charges over $600 as a "transfer fee" when an ownership merely changes hands; larcenous, but true. With that in mind, rest assured that if HRC will accept a "deedback" at all, it will very likely involve some significant out of pocket expense on your part.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Apr 08, 2020 05:25 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.