General Discussion

Ripoff - Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Program - New Point System

Nov 16, 2019

Who said that Anthony? I guess I missed it! The majority of owners here seem quite savvy and seem to be using their ownership wisely, whether renting or using!

Lee S.

Last edited by phyl21 on Nov 16, 2019 03:52 PM

Nov 16, 2019

Anthony......INFORMED OWNERS ARE HAPPY VACATIONERS. If you learn the "system or process" it's just easier to get where you want, and do more with it. Sorry, but it's true.....

Kathy W.

Last edited by kathryng11 on Nov 16, 2019 04:07 PM

Nov 17, 2019

I really don't want to waste my time and yours arguing on here, but I am quite confident I understand how this works better than 99% of people on this board. The problem is I and others understand quite well how it works and that's why many of us are so upset. MVC has very elegantly bent the laws of supply and demand roughly to about $2.5 BILLION in their favor. I am glad it works for you, but please spare the rest of us any sanctimony about it. Thanks.

Anthony L.
Nov 17, 2019

So Anthony, where in Marriott do you own and on the Board of directors? I would really like to know how you feel that MVC has taken advantage of you and owners for over $2 Billion? Especially when they just spent $4.7 Billion to acquire 40 properties (Hyatts, Westins and Sheridans) I'm pretty excited about that. I don't feel you are wasting my time to explain your comment . Thanks

Kathy W.
Nov 18, 2019

The conversion from deeded ownership to points has led to many problems. I for one agree with you that Marriott sells 'air' and has way to many owners for the prime weeks that are then not available unless you are a person that can vacation at any time. Demand EXCEEDS Supply for many prime resorts. Owning Christmas and New years but now being told we aren't guaranteed them consecutively as 'unfair to floating week owners' even though we paid a premium to own them is one example! The addition of Starwood owners to Marriott was to have given Marriott a better advantage but is my understanding Starwood owners need fewer points to acquire their weeks than Marriott owners. not what we were told in our yearly talk. Have been told several times, do you have it in writing, what a salesperson says it not always right etc etc. We have been owners since Palm Springs came into being and DEFINITELY research and try to keep abreast of all the changes but it is now a HUGE conglomerate that changes frequently....example, now having to reregister because the changeover wiped out all old passwords etc. Wonder why there isn't a Marriott owners site that is not controlled by Marriott. Would be nice to be able to exchange, talk, etc with owners and maybe solve problems.

klalaw
Nov 18, 2019

Well said and Thank you

Barbara H.
Nov 18, 2019

Well said and Thank you klalaw07

Barbara H.
Nov 18, 2019

I spent 4 hours trying to register new username and password- tried 9 different usernames and none worked! Even had help from a very patient Marriott person and still nothing! So... As of now I have no access to my account! Seems like there has to be an easier way than to keep changing things and making it harder and harder to be an owner!

Lee S.
Nov 18, 2019

Hello Anthony. It's me again, Kathy. I own deeded weeks and sounds like you do as well. I elected to "Enroll" all six of my deeded weeks, but I still hold the deeds to my properties at Desert Sorings, Shadow Ridge, Grand Chateau and Ocean Pointe. It's my choice each year if I want to use my weeks the original Legacy way, or I can use one or all into the Points. I have not purchased any points yet, but they are "Deeded Beneficial Interests in a Land Trust". Marriott does NOT SELL AIR.

Deeded week owners will always be able to continue to book their reservations as in the past at their home resorts, and MVCI could only sell x# of Fixed weeks. By Resl Estate Law they can not sell more fixed weeks than units at the Resort. If a "Fixed Week" Owner is enrolled in the Destination Program and any given year "elects" to get points for that week then, and that year only (year by year) would it give the week to MVCI to book other reservations against it. All "Weeks" SOLD is still owned by the owners, but any inventory that Marriott had not sold by June 20, 2010 went into the Land Trust. MVCI Resale office bought a week I owned in Royal Palms from me in 2010 to have inventory to put into the Teust.

If Marriott never built another unit, or acquired any properties, there would be a limit as to how much they could sell. It is still Deeded Real Estate .

Any of the W, H & S Owners coming into Marriott can still reserve in their respective systems, but they will not be able to have any access to any Marriott inventory unless they exchange thru Interval or unless they purchase Destination Points in the trust. I have verified that numerous times thru Owner Services, Board members, and executives at MVCI. We as a Marriott owner had to pay $$ to have access to the Point Program. Westin, Hyatt and Shetidan owners will not get a free ride. It gas not been released yet how their weeks will equate into Marriott or via versa. The hotels were transitioned and some of my friends who had Starwoos gotel points were h.g.h appt eith the transition. I didn't have Starwood points so can't spe as k on it.. I'd be happy to give you a phone # if you want it. Rather than talking to a "Sales person" as you indicated, call Owner Services....they tell it like it is and they do the bookings. I love my flexibility, able to do what I want, the old way, (nothing changed ) or the new way. Have a nice evening. K

Kathy W.
Nov 19, 2019

There is a lot of misinformation on this site. First, weeks ownership comes from a different inventory of rooms than points membership. So points owners do not get to select from weeks owners inventory. Points owners would get weeks inventory when weeks owners elect points for a specific year.

As of now, their is no Starwood integration as of yet into the MVC so there is not basis for your comment about points requirements. Plus, the values given to Starwood points are probably different than the value of Marriott points as they are two different systems. You could be comparing apples to oranges.

Yes, you do have to have things in writing. Salesman are selling, you have a week to read your contract or a lawyer to review it so that you know EXACTLY what you are getting. The paperwork is very clear to let you know that you are buying a week of time and that you can use the week, rent the week or exchange the week. Nothing more. It also tells you that the other benefits can be changed by Marriott. If you did not go over the contract within the rescission period to understand what you bought, that is on you like buying a used car. There is no rescission period with the purchase of a car.

The new passwords had to be reregistered not because the old ones were lost, but to provide more security in order not be hacked and your information exposed. By the way it took me and several other owners who stated on Timesshare Users Group that it only took them about 5 minutes to reregister. It was a fairly simple process if you received you confirmation ID from Marriott.

klalaw07 wrote:
The conversion from deeded ownership to points has led to many problems. I for one agree with you that Marriott sells 'air' and has way to many owners for the prime weeks that are then not available unless you are a person that can vacation at any time. Demand EXCEEDS Supply for many prime resorts. Owning Christmas and New years but now being told we aren't guaranteed them consecutively as 'unfair to floating week owners' even though we paid a premium to own them is one example! The addition of Starwood owners to Marriott was to have given Marriott a better advantage but is my understanding Starwood owners need fewer points to acquire their weeks than Marriott owners. not what we were told in our yearly talk. Have been told several times, do you have it in writing, what a salesperson says it not always right etc etc. We have been owners since Palm Springs came into being and DEFINITELY research and try to keep abreast of all the changes but it is now a HUGE conglomerate that changes frequently....example, now having to reregister because the changeover wiped out all old passwords etc. Wonder why there isn't a Marriott owners site that is not controlled by Marriott. Would be nice to be able to exchange, talk, etc with owners and maybe solve problems.

Charles S.
Nov 19, 2019

Sorry that you are having such difficulty. It took me all of 5 minutes.

Q=lstearns]

I spent 4 hours trying to register new username and password- tried 9 different usernames and none worked! Even had help from a very patient Marriott person and still nothing! So... As of now I have no access to my account! Seems like there has to be an easier way than to keep changing things and making it harder and harder to be an owner!

Charles S.
Nov 19, 2019

I own three weeks at Ko Olina, Ocean Pointe and Aruba Surf Club and have no problem getting my units at 12 months out even though I can get then at 13 months out. I can elect almost 13,000 MVC points each year and get way more than three weeks of vacation using points. I don’t use my points for cruises, airfare and tours because I can get those cheaper with cash. You get the most for your money with by using your Marriott Vacation Club points for accommodations. Every time I use the Marriott hotels, I save money. The 4 p.m. late checkout is a godsend. I can stay longer and not pay for the extra time. The lounge accessibility at the hotels, the lounge access for United Silver Premier status members and free baggage are all money savers. The room upgrades are also money savers and welcomed when they are available.

I love the flexibility of the Marriott program and I also have learned how to have my vacations each year and make a few dollars as well. Many of you should go on TUG and share your concerns and learn the nuances of the Marriott program. I am by no means saying it’s perfect, but there are some very distinct advantages to it.

Charles S.
Nov 19, 2019

Thanks Charles S.- I never got any e mail about it from Marriott with an ID number- maybe that's the problem! I only read about it on Redweek! I'll keep trying! " Even a blind squirrel gets an acorn every now and then"!😀

Lee S.
Nov 20, 2019

have been over this before! Originally Maui had only the 32 of the oceanfront 2 bedroom units for Christmas & New Years that were ALL SOLD OUT!! then some transferred over to the New buildings. Marriott informed us there were only 9 owners having deeds to both week 51 & 52. We had our own advisor, r and just had to call in as to whether wanted Fri., Sat., or Sunday. The switch over to points equalled No advisor, getting up at 6 am PST time to TRY to get our weeks consecutively. Twice calling in at 6:00.01, told Saturdays all gone, not consecutive, a day gap between first and second week. Can't rent a room anymore as the Hotel rooms we were guaranteed (not in writing we found don't believe salesperson) are no longer there, all now timeshare. No one rents a day at Holiday time!! How can you say there is a different inventory of rooms than points membership if you have 32 rooms you only have rooms that have been put in by owners....scarcer than hen's teeth!When buying point you are told you have access to ALL these rooms, would love to know how many actually exist for the amount of points sold. Yes, Marriott has inventory but they are selling points so you could have access to a place that no one else want to go to or is a lesser timeshare. Listening to the sales talk once a year (to keep up to date) they are often telling you of the beautiful places you have access to with points, try getting them at Christmas in Maui!!! Also owners services told us last year about Starwood needing less points than Marriott for a resort we were going to book with points! WE DID GO OVER OUR CONTRACT for DEEDED WEEKS NOT POINTS, We bought under this and had no problems. All came AFTER the conversion to points so we are not as happy as you are. You are saying they are 2 different systems so what is BONVOY but a melding????

klalaw
Nov 20, 2019

klalaw07 wrote:
have been over this before! Originally Maui had only the 32 of the oceanfront 2 bedroom units for Christmas & New Years that were ALL SOLD OUT!! then some transferred over to the New buildings. Marriott informed us there were only 9 owners having deeds to both week 51 & 52. We had our own advisor, r and just had to call in as to whether wanted Fri., Sat., or Sunday. The switch over to points equalled No advisor, getting up at 6 am PST time to TRY to get our weeks consecutively. Twice calling in at 6:00.01, told Saturdays all gone, not consecutive, a day gap between first and second week. Can't rent a room anymore as the Hotel rooms we were guaranteed (not in writing we found don't believe salesperson) are no longer there, all now timeshare. No one rents a day at Holiday time!! How can you say there is a different inventory of rooms than points membership if you have 32 rooms you only have rooms that have been put in by owners....scarcer than hen's teeth!When buying point you are told you have access to ALL these rooms, would love to know how many actually exist for the amount of points sold. Yes, Marriott has inventory but they are selling points so you could have access to a place that no one else want to go to or is a lesser timeshare. Listening to the sales talk once a year (to keep up to date) they are often telling you of the beautiful places you have access to with points, try getting them at Christmas in Maui!!! Also owners services told us last year about Starwood needing less points than Marriott for a resort we were going to book with points! WE DID GO OVER OUR CONTRACT for DEEDED WEEKS NOT POINTS, We bought under this and had no problems. All came AFTER the conversion to points so we are not as happy as you are. You are saying they are 2 different systems so what is BONVOY but a melding????

The fact that you are mentioning BONVOY and we are talking about timeshares tells me a lot. BONVOY refers to the hotels not to the timeshare. Bonvoy points are only good for hotels not the timeshares.

Marriott Vacation Club points or sometimes referred to as Destination Club points, are the ones used for the timeshares and as of now only Marriott timeshares. There has been no rollout of the system in which Marriott, Westin, and Vistana timeshares can be used interchangeably at this time. If any salesman told you otherwise, they were lying to you.

If a timeshare resort was sold out before the Marriott Vacation Club came into existence, there were no points to be used at that property until a week’s owner decided to turn their week into Marriott Vacation Club points or turned their unit into Interval International for an exchange.

Weeks 51 and 52 are expensive very high demand weeks in Hawaii and Maui is the most expensive and and most difficult to get during prime seasons. My advice to you is to go to tug2.net and get sound recommendations from owners who know for sure what they are talking about. Go to the Marriott Vacation Club section and there will be a wealth of knowledge there that can help you unlock more from your ownership.

Charles S.

Last edited by charless345 on Nov 21, 2019 02:30 PM

Nov 21, 2019

Hyatt is a completely different chain and not part of Starwood, which is what Marriott bought.

Hazel K.
Nov 21, 2019

hazelk8 wrote:
Hyatt is a completely different chain and not part of Starwood, which is what Marriott bought.

Marriott Vacations Worldwide owns the Hyatt Residence Clubs. So that Maui Hyatt is owned by Marriott. The problem is that Marriott will have problems integrating Hyatt properties due to the manner in which Hyatt sold them. As a result, the Hyatt properties may stay separate.

Charles S.
Nov 22, 2019

Just quick note .. Marriott Bonvoy points can be used for Vacation Club properties .. I’ve done it before .. just go to your Marriott Bonvoy Rewards account .. now granted not all properties are available, but have used for Desert Springs in Palm Desert as well as others .. can use for a 1BR guest suite, Master suite or a full 2BR villa .. may cost you a couple hundred thousand points depending on room .. but again, can be used .. JB

Jack W.

Last edited by jackw140 on Nov 22, 2019 03:59 AM

Nov 23, 2019

Thank you Charles. Sounds like you have mastered the program......congratulations. Kathy W.

Kathy W.
Nov 23, 2019

Marriott Does NOT SELL AIR. Everything they have ever sold is deeded. Get your facts straight, please.

Kathy W.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.