Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Renting Out Timeshare Getaway Weeks

Sep 01, 2021

If RCI is not involved in the scam, why wouldn't they pursue the scammers for damages? It is the same company and people every time. RCI is involved in this or they would not have all of our account information from RCI.

Anna P.
Sep 02, 2021

annap93 wrote:
If RCI is not involved in the scam, why wouldn't they pursue the scammers for damages? It is the same company and people every time. RCI is involved in this or they would not have all of our account information from RCI.

I respectfully but strongly disagree with your unsubstantiated and unfounded statements and conclusions.

I have no use for RCI and permanently dropped my RCI membership about 10 years ago. It has always been (and it still remains) my personal suspicion and belief that rogue and / or disgruntled current or former RCI employees occasionally and improperly "share" (i.e., sell) info about RCI members "on the side", without the knowledge of their employer. As a company, however, RCI is certainly not in any way "involved in the scam", contrary to your absurd assertion.

Both RCI and II have been known to suspend (or permanently cancel) the memberships of people / members they catch renting out exchanges, Last Calls or Getaways, but there really isn't much they can do about scammers who fraudulently invoke the RCI name. These scammers routinely change their names and whereabouts --- it's not as though they operate from a single, fixed, known location / address where they could be easily found and served with a summons or subpoena to get them into a courtroom to hold them accountable.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Sep 20, 2021 03:12 PM

Sep 16, 2021

This is a complete scam. I fell for it and overtime I found a Getaway that met their criteria they changed the criteria. DO NOT DO THIS. It used to be called Corporate Solutions.

Karen T.
Sep 16, 2021

This is a complete scam. I fell for it and overtime I found a Getaway that met their criteria they changed the criteria. DO NOT DO THIS. It used to be called Corporate Solutions. I did manage to get 50% of my money back but this is a complete scam.

roberth1501 wrote:
I was just contacted about renting out 4 of my getaway weeks by resort traveller. They said I could make 7800 dollars but I would have to pay 1500 up front. Sounded like an obvious scam. Has any one else heard of this?

Karen T.
Nov 03, 2021

You can rent the getaway weeks. Through companies like "World timeshare now". You cannot on VRBO or Airbnb. I have used world timeshare now and have made money by renting getaway weeks. You do need to pay the booking fee upfront for them to rent it but it is guaranteed to be rented or receive offers at the agreed upon price within 90 days.

Patrick M.
Nov 03, 2021

I have experienced the same thing through world timeshare now. It is legit. I have used it and it works. If it doesn't work you can get your money back. Haven't heard of that company but it sounds like the same thing.

Patrick M.
Nov 03, 2021

patrickm669 wrote:
I have experienced the same thing through world timeshare now. It is legit. I have used it and it works. If it doesn't work you can get your money back. Haven't heard of that company but it sounds like the same thing.

If this company is legitimate, it will take its commission or fee out of the proceeds of the rental and not up front.

Lance C.
Nov 04, 2021

Do not give them money to rent out your get away weeks. We did fall for it and shelled out $1500. It took a lot of emails and threats but I did get our money back just last month. These companies prey on new timeshare owners and use a lot of verbage that sounds like what you heard in your presentation, so they sound legit. They are not! Beware!

roberth1501 wrote:
I was just contacted about renting out 4 of my getaway weeks by resort traveller. They said I could make 7800 dollars but I would have to pay 1500 up front. Sounded like an obvious scam. Has any one else heard of this?

Erik M.

Last edited by christinem290 on Nov 04, 2021 10:00 AM

Nov 04, 2021

patrickm669 wrote:
You can rent the getaway weeks. Through companies like "World timeshare now". You cannot on VRBO or Airbnb. I have used world timeshare now and have made money by renting getaway weeks. You do need to pay the booking fee upfront for them to rent it but it is guaranteed to be rented or receive offers at the agreed upon price within 90 days.

You are conveniently overlooking (or perhaps just simply ignoring) the indisputable fact that Interval International specifically prohibits (as a very clear and specific term and condition of membership) the renting out of any weeks obtained as "Getaways" (just as RCI prohibits the renting out of weeks obtained as Last Calls or Extra Vacations in their terms and conditions of membership).

The advertising venue used is completely irrelevant; it is the practice itself which II and RCI specifically prohibit. Yes, you might occasionally "get away" with it, but don't just ignore or try to sugar coat the fact that it is clearly prohibited.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on May 28, 2022 05:39 AM

May 25, 2022

Just received this same call. "Caller offers to rent your "getaway weeks", "bonus weeks" or otherwise rent your timeshare week with the promise of sharing the rental profits with you, but requires payment of an upfront fee." Said they were calling about my RCI or Orange Lake membership. However, when I think back, they never stated "I'm calling from RCI" etc.

They guaranteed me $1600-$1800 per getaway week, and I supposedly have 6 of them available, if I would pay a fee of $399 per week. I argued, they lowered it to $299 per week. I said put every bit of that in writing, send me the document, and I'll think about it. Of course, he said they can't do that without my credit card on file. hahaha

Anyway. Erica at 321.204.7406 called first. I was transferred a couple of times. Then I got Larry Chase (I'm quite certain all fake names but...) 407.268.6196 or 24 hour CS 800.763.3065.

Told them I'd be more than happy to sell some weeks as long as they took that "fee" out of my end profits, and I had it in writing that this was guaranteed within 90 days. You know how that ended..... *click

Lacey S.
Aug 10, 2022

Can I post for rent a Marriott timeshare week I got exchanged thru Interval?

Terri Z.
Aug 10, 2022

terriz14 wrote:
Can I post for rent a Marriott timeshare week I got exchanged thru Interval?

Can you post it? Yes. Can you rent it out? No! If you look at the terms of service you have through Interval International (II), it will tell you that you cannot rent out weeks or intervals you received via exchange. If you get caught, the renter will be denied access.

Lance C.
Aug 22, 2022

Hello. The entire reason why I purchased my vacation ownership membership was for the promise that I could rent out or sell the getaways from Interval International. I'm trying to navigate it and figure out the process now to see if it is true. My plan was to use the profits from this Revenue stream to pay for my membership and to make additional income. I was told that you can list them on Airbnb. I will be working over the next week to figure this out. I hope you have some success. Thank you ☺️ Dee

sonyac33 wrote:
Hello, I am a new timeshare owner and had a question about renting out getaway weeks. Last month my husband and I bought a timeshare in Gatlinburg, TN. When we purchased the timeshare we were told we would receive 12 Getaway Weeks with Interval International. Our sales rep and his manager both told us that we could sell those Getaway Weeks through VRBO in order to pay the yearly maintenance fee. Not being familiar with timeshares, we decided to go for it. We paid the outlandish advertisement fee (which was stupid, I know) thinking that we would be able to post those Getaway Weeks for places like New Orleans during Mardi Gras or Destin during Spring Break. Now not only am I finding out the only property we can post on VRBO is our own, but I'm reading on here that we can't even sell those Getaway Weeks. Is that correct? Did anybody else get tricked into buying a timeshare for the same reasons? Is this even legal?

Deneene C.
Aug 22, 2022

deneenec wrote:
<snip> The entire reason why I purchased my vacation ownership membership was for the promise that I could rent out or sell the getaways from Interval International. I'm trying to navigate it and figure out the process now to see if it is true. My plan was to use the profits from this Revenue stream to pay for my membership and to make additional income. I was told that you can list them on Airbnb. I will be working over the next week to figure this out.

It won’t take much "work" to learn / confirm that both II and RCI prohibit (as clearly stated in writing in their terms and conditions of membership) the renting out of weeks obtained as exchanges, Getaways, Last Calls, or Extra Vacations. It doesn’t matter one bit where you might attempt to “list” them; the rental practice itself is expressly prohibited.

You won’t find that sales weasel “promise” expressed in writing anywhere within your purchase contract or associated documents, for the simple reason that it is a completely false statement. Whether it was a deliberate lie or an innocent mistake, you were nonetheless misinformed on the true and accurate facts concerning the allowed use of II Getaways.

P.S. Your self-described "financial plan" in purchasing whatever timeshare product you bought was unfortunately flawed and evidently based upon a totally inaccurate (and legally meaningless) verbal statement by a sales weasel. I don't know what you purchased or where or when, but if you are still within your contract rescission period (maximum 10 days after contract execution, depending on the state where the contract was actually executed), you might want to pursue rescinding (cancelling) that contract. However, if it has been more than 10 days since contract execution (it's 10 days for Florida and Tennessee, 5-7 days in most states, and only 3 days in a few states), then contract rescission (cancellation) is no longer an available option.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Aug 23, 2022 01:56 PM

Apr 27, 2023

I just received a call from II with this offer. They transferred me to someone else who claimed they were with Grayscale Marketing Solutions. Seemed too good to be true. They wanted me rent out my unused vacation certificates. I would have to purchase the certificates 1st though. So doing my research and came to this forum. Thanks for the warnings!

Stacie L.
Apr 27, 2023

I sincerely doubt that it was really II that initially contacted you, but congrats on seeing through the scam and not proceeding any further.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Apr 27, 2023 05:23 PM

Apr 28, 2023

Can you rent out your points in RCI ? Because I got a call saying that I can make some money with my points

Dzifa P.
Apr 28, 2023

If I list with you. What are the final charges to me and to the owner Can you get proceeds when renter buys or. Is money sent to you after renter checks in What are protections to owe her if renter cancels

Jimmy H.
Jul 02, 2023

Are you allowed to sell RCI points to a company that will in turn offer to sell them to corporate clients?

I was offered an amount for 28,000 points - the equivalent amount for a 1 week stay, and could sell up to 6 weeks.

Is that a legitimate offer and transaction?

Sandra L.

Sandra L.
Jul 02, 2023

sandral616 wrote:
Are you allowed to sell RCI points to a company that will in turn offer to sell them to corporate clients?

I was offered an amount for 28,000 points - the equivalent amount for a 1 week stay, and could sell up to 6 weeks.

Is that a legitimate offer and transaction?

How did this company get ahold of you? Was it a telemarketing call. If so, then this is likely a scam. They'll tell you that you have to pay some sort of fee upfront to "get the ball rolling".

Lance C.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.