General Discussion

Timeshare owners getting hosed on exchanged units!

Nov 03, 2007

It seems that every year exchanging gets worse.No matter how good your resort is each year more owners exchanging into the worse units in the exchange resorts.

With owners renting their units and the resorts renting it seems that exchangers are getting the worse view, lower end units!

This is one reason I have always stated to buy where you want to go and trade is just a backup plan.

We hate going some where and depending what unit the person in charge gives you to stay in and in most cases it is not as nice as your unit you gave up! What happen to fair exchange? I know our resort tries to give the exchanger the same units that owner had reserved but many resorts do not work this way!

What I 'm saying is that the exchanging families are more and more getting stuck in the bad buildings or units at the resorts.The resorts are keeping better units to rent out for profit. My post has nothing to do with the exchange or the exchange company.

I am just talking about the resort assigning you to a unit which in most cases is done couple weeks in advance in most resorts or at time of checkin. The front desk people make changes all the time when you are checking in and this can be good or bad. I have stood at the desk and watch a family ask if they can get a different unit like mountain view because they are checking in couple minutes early and a unit is ready!

Then have a family come in on time and told they have a unit change and do not no why but this is your unit now! Sorry but in my opinion this sucks!

PHILL12

I edited my posting because it seems Jayjay and Ken didn't understand what I was saying! Hope this clears it up ! Hosing==Screwed

Phil L.

Last edited by phill12 on Feb 01, 2010 11:02 PM

Nov 04, 2007

phill12 asks the timely and relevant question:

>> What happened to fair exchange?<< =====================================

A number of factors have changed the "exchange" world quite radically over the past decade. Foremost among these changes has been RCI (the biggest exchange company by far) openly deciding to make a priority of renting out the better deposited (or acquired from developers) weeks. This is why RCI is currently the defendant in a class action lawsuit (Murillo vs. RCI). Every week which is rented out to the general public by an exchange company is obviously a week which never becomes available to exchange company members. Interval International is guilty of the same thing, but on a smaller scale being a smaller company.

In a domino effect, owners have increasingly become more and more reluctant to deposit with these major "exchange" entities at all, knowing that they may get little or nothing of comparable value in return. Direct owner rentals are now far more common than formerly, when owners choose not to actually use their own weeks. The Internet makes this extremely easy to do.

I don't personally believe that actions at the resorts have anything to do with this deteriorating exchange situation at all. While resorts may make "swaps" in available rentals which have voluntarily put under their control by the unit owners for rental purposes (as is the resorts' prerogative), these practices really have nothing at all to do with the overall picture of diminishing numbers and quality of available exchanges.

The major exchange companies prefer to collect the much bigger profits associated with renting out of weeks, as opposed to just charging exchange fees to their members. Although I'm certainly not defending them, it's important to try to remember that the exchange companies are businesses (not "clubs") and their primary focus and motive is PROFIT. Rentals are far more profitable than exchange fees.

In recent weeks and months, RCI has actually bought into two separate, additional commercial rental mechanisms (Snap Travel and LeisureLink). Make no mistake about it --- the quality and availability of "exchanges" through RCI (and probably regardless of the outcome of the current lawsuit against them) is in a downward tailspin which can and will only become steadily and progressively worse. RCI could actually decide (maybe even publicly announce) that being an exchange company is now their LAST priority, when it was actually their ONLY activity when the company was started. Things have changed --- and not for the better. Sad, but indisputably true.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Nov 04, 2007 04:20 AM

Nov 04, 2007

phill12 wrote:
It seems that every year it gets worse doing a exchange.

No matter how good your resort is each year more owners exchanging into the worse units in the resorts.

With owners renting their units and the resorts renting it seems that exchangers are getting worse views, lower end units and long trips to main resort area!

This is one reason I always state buy where you want to go and trade is just a backup plan.

This was one reason we left timesharing for about ten years and just rented and this was great.

We came back to timesharing and until 2008 have not traded our unit because we have July 4th week in Lake Tahoe and great unit and will totally enjoy the week.

We hate going some where and depending what the person in charge gives you to stay in and in most cases it is not as nice as your unit you gave up!

This is why sometimes renting is way better if the owner has a assigned unit for you.

Then other side of the coin is some owners will have top unit ocean view and you pay extra and at front desk they give you the dump out by the parking lot.

Most resorts have the right to change rooms at anytime for renters and you paid high amount and get a unit that you could have rented at half the price if you would rent it at all!

I know someone will jump on here and say this doesn't happen because the owner has a assigned unit and rented with great location and made alot of money but it happens every day!

What happen to fair exchange?

We never had any problem getting exchanges we wanted from the big 2 (RCI and II). I have read of many people recently that have become disenchanted with the RCI and II exchanging process (on Tug), even people that have deposited their week with Redweek ... they expect far too much.

I believe this to be somewhat the fault of the exchanger in that they expect too much in an exchange .... this seems to be the norm these days as everyone seems to be seeking the most popular destinations and resorts including the higher end resorts when they don't have the trade power to pull those resorts.

When we were into exchanging, we always had several resorts/backup plans in mind if the one we chose did not come through ... in other words we weren't stuck on one resort or one name brand. I think flexibility is the key to getting good exchanges AND depositing your week and planning your vacation at least a year in advance is also a major factor.

The people that have recently (or in the last several years) bought a timeshare don't realize that the earlier you deposit, the better chance you have of getting what you want in an exchange with all the exchange companies including Redweek.

Many people don't care to even think about planning a vacation a year in advance, but knowledgeable and educated timesharers know to do this. Many people think they can wait until a couple of months before to plan their vacation and when very little is available for an exchange, then they are disappointed.

I do agree that one should buy where they like to go and that exchanging is a sidedish when you can't/don't choose to use your timeshare some years, and even then, one should be flexible. One should never, ever buy a timeshare just to exchange.

R P.
Nov 04, 2007

[ Jayjay my post was for the resort assignment and not the exchange!

What I was trying to throw out here for thinking is the fact many families get their perfect exchange. Problem starts at the front desk or the persons in charge of assigning units when one or two people make the decision on what unit you will be staying in for your week.

Many factors can come into play here but it seems last few years because of the companies renting many exchangers check-in and get bottom of the barrel.

Owners are what make the exchange process work and without owners RCI,II and other companies would have never happened!

We as owners should get the same respect from our exchange resort as we get at our home resort.

PHILL12

Phil L.

Last edited by phill12 on Feb 01, 2010 11:04 PM

Nov 04, 2007

phill12 states, quoted in pertinent part:

>> Like I stated first here"SEEMS THE EXCHANGERS ARE GETTING HOSED MANY TIMES AT THE RESORT CHECKIN" <<

Actually, the title of your original post was (quoted exactly, word for word) "Timeshare owners getting hosed on exchanges". Perhaps I misunderstood your intended point (and if so, with all due respect, I guess maybe I still do). Clearly, if an owner relinquishes a week to either to an exchange company or to a resort staff, either one of those entities can then do with that relinquished week as they may see fit. That has always been true and the only factor that has changed is that fewer and fewer weeks are relinquished by their owners in recent years. Maybe I just don't understand the actual nature of your observation / complaint?

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Nov 04, 2007 10:33 AM

Nov 04, 2007

I believe phil thinks the front desk decides where to put an exchanger and therefore the exchanger has no control. However, I don't actually believe it's the front desk ... I think it's their computer that decides where to place people. The front desk merely assigns what the computer tells them to via housekeeping, depending if a unit has been cleaned and is ready for occupancy. You can always request a certain area/building/unit at a resort, but whether or not your request is granted is another matter. At some resorts a request will try to be granted but others will not budge as they firmly assign what the computer tells them is ready. It just depends on the resort.

Also, some resorts preassign units and they're part of the confirmation from II and/or RCI. Exchanging is always a crapshoot and most people want the best views (ocean view, pool view, mountain view, garden view or whatever the popular view is at a resort). I honestly don't envy the front desk staff that have to constantly strive to please every exchanger as far as views go. This is why I always advise people that if they want a certain unit, a certain building, a certain floor or a certain view that it's best to buy instead of counting on getting that criteria in an exchange.

When we were into timesharing, that's exactly what we did .... we bought units that had views we preferred (ocean, gulf, mountain, lake etc.) but on exchanges we took whatever we were given. Even if a change of view was requested by us but was denied or unavailable we didn't get miffed. That's just part of the territory of exchanging.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Nov 04, 2007 02:28 PM

Nov 05, 2007

jayjay wrote:
I believe phil thinks the front desk decides where to put an exchanger and therefore the exchanger has no control. However, I don't actually believe it's the front desk ... I think it's their computer that decides where to place people. The front desk merely assigns what the computer tells them to via housekeeping, depending if a unit has been cleaned and is ready for occupancy. You can always request a certain area/building/unit at a resort, but whether or not your request is granted is another matter. At some resorts a request will try to be granted but others will not budge as they firmly assign what the computer tells them is ready. It just depends on the resort.

Also, some resorts preassign units and they're part of the confirmation from II and/or RCI. Exchanging is always a crapshoot and most people want the best views (ocean view, pool view, mountain view, garden view or whatever the popular view is at a resort). I honestly don't envy the front desk staff that have to constantly strive to please every exchanger as far as views go. This is why I always advise people that if they want a certain unit, a certain building, a certain floor or a certain view that it's best to buy instead of counting on getting that criteria in an exchange.

When we were into timesharing, that's exactly what we did .... we bought units that had views we preferred (ocean, gulf, mountain, lake etc.) but on exchanges we took whatever we were given. Even if a change of view was requested by us but was denied or unavailable we didn't get miffed. That's just part of the territory of exchanging.

=====================================

Thank you for clarifying phil's intended point. Given the title of his original post, I had not really grasped that his complaint is apparently about unit location within a resort, not about the exchange process itself.

You have explained the unit location assignment situation by resorts accurately and well. In the end, an incoming "exchange" guest has no real say whatsoever about location within the resort, except by sheer luck and good fortune. The resort does not know (or care) what the guest owns elsewhere, or whether the assigned unit location is comparable to the location of whatever the guest may have deposited. In fact, in this day and age of ever-increasing rentals by the exchange companies, an incoming guest could just as likely be someone who rented (i.e., not an "exchange") directly from RCI. While perhaps an RCI member, such renters may not actually even own timeshare at all anywhere. The world of exchanging, as I described previously in some detail, has really changed a lot over the past decade and will clearly continue to do so in the future.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Nov 05, 2007 05:34 AM

Nov 05, 2007

ken1193 wrote:
jayjay wrote:

=====================================

Thank you for clarifying phil's intended point. Given the title of his original post, I had not really grasped that his complaint is apparently about unit location within a resort, not about the exchange process itself.

You have explained the unit location assignment situation by resorts accurately and well. In the end, an incoming "exchange" guest has no real say whatsoever about location within the resort, except by sheer luck and good fortune. The resort does not know (or care) what the guest owns elsewhere, or whether the assigned unit location is comparable to the location of whatever the guest may have deposited. In fact, in this day and age of ever-increasing rentals by the exchange companies, an incoming guest could just as likely be someone who rented (i.e., not an "exchange") directly from RCI. While perhaps an RCI member, such renters may not actually even own timeshare at all anywhere. The world of exchanging, as I described previously in some detail, has really changed a lot over the past decade and will clearly continue to do so in the future.

I would like to interject that you need to be realistic with your expectations! I have travelled and mostly exchanged for over 20 years and my most recent being SVC Paniolo Greens in Hawaii. What a pleasant experience. When I arrived, the clerk asked me if I wanted ground level without stairs or the upper level! I am very flexible with my travel dates and can go in off season or slower times where crowds and accommodations are less than capacity. I have traded mostly with RCI and own Gold Crown and lower and have had great trades most of the time. I am very disappointed with RCI though because they have gotten too big and I am now trying Redweek. I have successfully deposited and traded 1 week so far and know how to use the system. It takes lots of time and patience! Hope this helps.

Chris F.
Nov 06, 2007

chris460 states, quoted only in pertinet part:

>> I have travelled and mostly exchanged for over 20 years...<< ======================================

Having been involved in timeshare for over 20 years myself, I dare say with confidence that what you may have experienced with RCI in decades past has now changed --- radically and probably forever. Or to quote a line from an old Chad & Jeremy song "....but that was yesterday --- and yesterday's gone".

Compared to years past, the new corporate entity now known as "Group RCI" is an entirely different company, with entirely different owners, and with an an entirely different business model. Your Gold Crown resort, whatever and wherever it may be, could very well never again become an available RCI exchange. If it has any desirability, it will likely just be rented out (if you deposit again with RCI at all). In turn, what you may be looking for in the future in exchange likely won't be there as an exchange either (but RCI, SnapTravel or LeisureLink will each certainly be glad to RENT that same week to you, at top dollar pricing).

Kudos for shifting your exchange practices to RedWeek. Denying deposits to greedy RCI (II too for that matter, just on a smaller scale) and using "independent" exchange alternatives may go a long way toward levelling the playing field in this new and very different world of timeshare exchanges. Only time will tell....

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Nov 06, 2007 05:46 AM

Nov 06, 2007

I agree with Ken above concerning Redweek. It may be the new kid on the block (exchange company), but more and more people are finding out about it and many of those people are disgruntled with the big two, RCI and II. I love the fact with Redweek that you can accrue points for future trades (3 years) and if you don't have enough points for an exchange that you want you can buy the difference. Also, there's no guesswork involved. You know what you want, you check how many points it will take and you go from there. Easy as 1 2 3.

R P.
Nov 06, 2007

Jayjay-Gingin you know I try and never reply to your post but I have been reading all this from you and (Ken in pertinate 1193 I'm so full of myself) and need to say something here.

You seem to be making a very bad try at another one of your insults about a poster. I know Phill 12 has stood up to you many times and as any of us that knows you and had many run-ins from Tug and you do like to do this treatment to anyone that disagrees with you.

I also know he very seldom replies to you so you feel you can make comments about his post. There are some post last couple months you throw insults at Phill12's post knowing he probably wouldn't bother do a reply.

I sent e-mail to him last month about one of your slams. Something to the effect that you and this Ken gave the right answers so he should not bother giving his opinion. He e-mailed back that you just were not worth it to him and Marty would jump in and delete him as soon as he stood up to you so why waste the time.

I'm not just sticking up for him but for every poster you pull this on and there have been many.

You like to get people who disagree with you into a posting war knowing your buddies at Redweek will jump in a delete the post talking back to you. This has been done to so many people on here most don't even bother replying to you.

I know him from here and Tug and he is very nice person that shares.

I read his post and it seems he is stating what us that own timeshares understand is happening. You state to everyone that you are a expert because once you owned nine timeshares and I have no idea or care if that is true.

I read what Phill was saying is because of resorts renting units and other reasons exchangers are getting assigned the worse units in resorts many times. Many of these units need repairs or are set for fixing months later.

This is a true fact and us owners see this every year now.

Ken in pertinate part 1193, Who cares if you grasp any statement on here by anyone. You just like to make issue of any statement made by anyone on here.

You are so full of yourself its unreal. You come on here and as you have stated it is to straighten people out or out right call them liars or say they are clueless.

You make this little digs that jayjay had to explain Phill12's statement because you just don't grasp it and this is crap. You just want to start more crap on here. I would have let this go to but you do this all the time to people's post and at the least it rude.

What was behind your comment that Phill12's wording in the post was exact as the subject? This was a little way to throw a insult in and nothing more. Still not sure what your point was.

You just finished a job on another poster on here calling himself DR. ----, don't remember his name but you ripped into him and called him a liar and demanded he prove things to you and this is uncalled for!

When jayjay is being nice she really does try and help people and answers with very good information. She does go over board sometimes but she has many good points. I think she does care but when she has someone disagree she gets mad and it shows in her writing.

You came on here and from what I have read last few months your worthless on here because you don't try and help but insult and down grade posters and try and get your point across that you know more than anyone on here and it gets old.

If you read 90% of the post you and jayjay will be on them and not many others because they just stop.

Your almost funny because you are here to straighten people out and when you can't find someone to go after you then turn on jayjay.

You even had a post few months ago that after you and jayjay having a spat like two children you said you wouldn't bother her again but within a week you were back.

Most of your post to knock another poster on here looks like your writing a manuscript there so long.

I keep hoping to see you write I'M GONE!

At some point I would think Redweek would see your act too!

Well KEN QUOTED IN PERTINATE PART 1193 you can now write us another manuscript!

Darlene P.

Last edited by darlenep30 on May 04, 2008 09:59 PM

Nov 06, 2007

Thank you darlene for your rant. I'm not sure what the true nature / agenda of your "beef" might be, but....

1. I offer my input only when I think it contributes directly and informatively to the topic at hand and I chime in only when I know what I'm talking about. That doesn't (at least in my book) constitute being in any way "full of myself". You are ALWAYS completely free to ignore any and every word I ever have to say.

2. I have no beef or agenda with "phil" (and I am not aware that I have EVER had one at any time). I initially and legitimately failed to understand his apparent primary point about exchanges. It's unfortunate that you evidently have a problem with MY reading skills, but I'm unaware that phil ever did (are you somehow assigned to speak for phil, or on his behalf?).

3. I've not seen anyone else ask for my silence in these forums. If and when they do (and I, right here and right now, openly invite any and all reading here to do just exactly that), I will certainly give that request serious consideration. Meanwhile, I frankly don't care two hoots that you personally don't like my weighing in on those few subjects about which yes, I do indeed happen to have a fair amount of experience and expertise. My intent is solely to inform (not berate) others with accurate facts, objectively and clearly stated. I offer no apology for being well informed --- you might want to consider giving that a try sometime yourself (in place of unwarranted personal attacks containing ZERO useful information and/or items or content of any interest).

Yes indeed, JayJay and I have disagreed in the past. We have chosen in the aftermath of those disagreements to behave like mature adults and sometimes we simply "agree to disagree". Fighting does not inform others and I'm only seeking to inform -- regardless of whether or not you happen to personally approve of my particular input, style, or presence here.

That is my "manuscript" reply to your unnecessary and hostile rant. Have a nice day, darlene -- or at least try to.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Nov 07, 2007 06:39 AM

Nov 06, 2007

Here's a radical idea. Exchange it for FREE anywhere in the world!

Yes I know the original post was about the location within a resort, but it does bring up the question of exchanging outside of the resort and having the same possible problem arise there.

There are other vacationers interested in using your timeshare to visit the world. People that don't have timeshares but do have homes, condos, apartments, etc. Their industry is called Home Exchange. If you run a search for those two words you will find quite a few. Interestingly, the top sites charge no fee for listing, exchanging or try to get into the middle to get a cut of the action.

What you will find is a lot of people with a lodging in an area you would like to go to willing to accept lodging in the area of your timeshare. You will be pleasantly surprised at how flexible many of them are an d how nice many of the homes are.

Think about it. You wouldn't be willing to let a stranger live in your home for a week, but how about your timeshare? At the same time you get to live in a home in your selected area. You only lodging cost is the annual fees on your own unit.

Here's just a sample of one ad. An owner of a condo also owns a house. He trades the condo in Sydney, Australia for lodging almost anywhere in the world during about a 4 month period when he likes to travel. And without any fees, and direct exchange your cost is $0. You might want to reconsider selling or giving away your timeshare or even renewing your exchange club membership.

Happy vacationing! Dr. Ken Rich

Ken R.

Last edited by marty8084 on Nov 07, 2007 03:20 PM

Nov 07, 2007

darlenep, your coming to Redweek to voice your complaints concerning some members, ken1193 and me, to be exact, is absurd.

Ken and I have had disagreements on occasion, but the same is true in all timeshare forums (even Tug allows heated differences of opinion now, when they formerly didn't tolerate such discussions .... they deemed them to be argumentative, but that's what forums are all about .... differences of opinion).

I have seen several member character assasinations in the last few months on Tug .... especially from a few 'know it all, narcissistic individuals' that have more money than common sense. Tug has certainly changed, but they shouldn't allow member character assasination, especially by socalled moderators concerning members.

Concerning phil's post above, he never returned to fully explain it's content. I interpreted it the way I read it. It wasn't a put-down to phil in the least as his post WAS confusing. Try reading it again.

I don't tell people what to think on the Redweek forums, I merely give my opinion on timeshare issues that I have learned over the years. People can take my advice, leave it or move on to the next person's advice ... it's strictly up to them.

ALL of us regulars on the Redweek forums are here to try to educate people concerning timesharing and we spend a lot of time doing so. We may not always agree on certain issues, but the fact remains that we have helped a LOT of people. We have also made them aware of upfront fee resale scam companies (my ultimate goal is to put these people out of business via education on forums such as Redweek).

I feel sorry for you in that you seem to have a huge chip on your shoulder (I've seen this in your posts on Tug also). You would be better served to help those that come to Redweek for advice, rather than to use your valuable enery and time to degrade those here who honestly try to help educate.

BTW, I HAVE sold 9 timeshares via Redweek, MyResortNetwork and Bidshares. If you would like I'll list them for you and let you know HOW I sold them.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Nov 07, 2007 08:15 AM

Nov 07, 2007

darlenep30 wrote:
As much as I dislike Jayjay-Gin ...... !

What in the world have I ever done to you for you to so dislike me. You don't even KNOW me.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Nov 07, 2007 08:23 AM

Nov 07, 2007

Jayjay I decided to post a reply to you because I think you have that coming after my last post.

I do think you really care about helping people in timesharing and when being nice you are very good. I do disagree that you are the one leading the way of don't use upfront companies when for many years most of us having been preaching this to anyone who would listen.

Just seems you have new people that are trying to learn and don't understand how many forums out there. Many new people never hear from anyone else because you jump on every post and your little buddy follows you so many others don't waste their time.

The problem is you get mad at anyone that does not agree with you. You then go to the dark side and become very mean person and will post insults about these people post's about subject or like one of your last was to tell Phill12 he didn't need to share his opinion because you and ken gave the right answer already.

It does seem many of the people have left or just not here to much any longer. I have seen four and five days of no new topics and this has been going on for months now. Of coarse how many times in a week can people ask the same dumb questions and you give same answers.

You stated in your other post that you see my post and I have a chip on my shoulder from what you say you read from my post. This is good and bad because if you do remember my forum name then you do remember treating me badly before they showed you the door. The other side is if it sounds like I have a chip then it doesn't sound like you have a clue of my forum name and just blowing smoke(lies) again. Only chip I have is in your case and that is it!

What is my Tug forum name jayjay?

I have been on Redweek long time but because of you I and many others just look in and leave the site.

Things were bad enough but now you have a sounding board with this KEN IN PERTINATE PART 1193.

I have read some of his long long post but most just give me a head ache.

Its not very nice when you two post back and forth talking about someone's post like you don't understand or person is way off or question makes no sense. You two talk to each other about these people and the post like there not even there and this is not right.

Jayjay even though you have at times talk down to me and others and start post wars just to see them get deleted you do help many people.

I don't know or ever had dealings with this Ken-in-pertinate-part-1193 and don't like him because he seems to be very little help except following you around on this site.

He seems to be full of himself and thinks he is smarter than anyone on here.

I know for a fact of some very smart people that still come on here and when they can get a word in give top advice and don't get into words with you guys. They also don't push how smart or what a expert they are and that tells people more than someone slapping themselves on the back all the time.

You live now in my area from what I understand in NC.

Maybe we will see each other some day on the highway!

Betterhalf

Darlene P.

Last edited by darlenep30 on May 04, 2008 10:22 PM

Nov 07, 2007

darlenep30 wrote:
The problem is when you get mad at anyone that doesn't agree with you or telling you how great you are. You then go to the dark side and become very mean person and will post insults about these people post's about subject,wording,spelling or like one of your last was to tell PHILL12 he didn't need to share his opinion because you and ken gave the right answer.

Please do a forum search showing proof of your above accusations by entering the name jayjay under 'I want to' .... in the top right hand corner of this page. That will show ALL my posts. You evidently have me mixed up with somebody else. I don't care one iota about spelling or grammar in these forums and I have stated that fact. When/where did I tell phil that he didn't need to share his opinion?

Quote:
You stated in your other post that you see my post and I have a chip on my shoulder from what you say you read from my post. This is good and bad because if you do remember my forum name then you do remember treating me bad before they showed you the door.

I have never treated anyone BAD (as you call it) on any forum. Please copy and paste such a post on any forum where I have treated YOU, or anyone else, bad. In a court of law you can't just fly off the handle with bizarre accusations without backing those allegations with solid evidence. I'm asking for that evidence .

Quote:
What is my Tug handle jayjay?

I don't know and I don't care.

Quote:
There is a forum on Tug about all this and some people still think the good Gingin(Jayjay) should get another chance. Then they come on RW and see you still do same things to other posters and I guess that talk ended.

Again, please offer evidence. As far as I know GinGin nor Jayjay has never been discussed on Tug.

As far as phil is concerned, he went on Tug and degraded Redweek's new exchange program before it had even gotten off the ground. Yes, the discussions between him and me may have gotten heated here after he did that. Redweek is trying their best to offer an alternative to the big two jolly green giants, RCI and II.

Quote:
You treated me badly on Tug when I first joined and here on RW I have been deleted many times because of standing up to you so it seems nothing has changed.

Again, please tell in what threads I treated you bad here or on any other forum? Please copy and paste those threads.

Quote:
Things were bad enough but now you have a sounding board with this KEN IN PERTINATE PART 1193.

Ken and I are definitely not joined at the hip as we disagree with each on many issues, but as he has stated, we agree to disagree and go on about our way. You know that Ken is a longtime highly respected member of Tug, don't you? However he posts there differently than he posts here.

Quote:
I have read some of his long long post but most just give me a head ache.

I bet. Why don't you take a deep breath, take a couple of aspirins and lie down for awhile. You're getting your panties in a wad over nothing.

Quote:
Jayjay even though you have at times talk down to me and others and start word wars just to see them get deleted you do help many people.

Well, will wonders never cease .... actually a compliment from you. Please, search jayjay's posts and tell me when I have ever started a war of words here or elsewhere.

Quote:
He seems to be full of himself and thinks he is smarter than anyone on here.

Ken and I have had words about this and he has toned down his posts a lot. Ken has been into timesharing over 20 years, so sometimes he does come across a little overbearing to newbies but I don't believe it's intentional. He doesn't do that on Tug but Tug is for seasoned timesharers, not newbies.

Quote:
I know for a fact of some very smart people that still come on here and when they can get a word in give top advice and don't get into words with you guys.

Hey, I wish more timeshare educated people would come to Redweek and post their knowledge. There are only a handful of people that post here regularly and I, for one, am very glad for all the regulars here that help educate Redweek members who ask for advice.

Quote:
You live now in my area from what I understand in NC.

Do you live in the mountains of western NC. Perhaps we could meet one day. There are only a handful of North Carolinians that post regularly on Tug and most of them are very nice.

In closing, I sincerely hope you feel better after getting whatever is eating you, conerning me, off your chest, I believe it's called venting ... if you don't feel better, you certainly should :o)! BTW, I will be looking for all of your evidence in future postings.

Sincerely, JayJay

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Nov 07, 2007 02:07 PM

Nov 07, 2007

phill12 wrote:
It seems that every year it gets worse doing a exchange.

No matter how good your resort is each year more owners exchanging into the worse units in the resorts.

With owners renting their units and the resorts renting it seems that exchangers are getting worse views, lower end units and long trips to main resort area!

This is one reason I always state buy where you want to go and trade is just a backup plan.

This was one reason we left timesharing for about ten years and just rented and this was great.

We came back to timesharing and until 2008 have not traded our unit because we have July 4th week in Lake Tahoe and great unit and will totally enjoy the week.

We hate going some where and depending what the person in charge gives you to stay in and in most cases it is not as nice as your unit you gave up!

This is why sometimes renting is way better if the owner has a assigned unit for you.

Then other side of the coin is some owners will have top unit ocean view and you pay extra and at front desk they give you the dump out by the parking lot.

Most resorts have the right to change rooms at anytime for renters and you paid high amount and get a unit that you could have rented at half the price if you would rent it at all!

I know someone will jump on here and say this doesn't happen because the owner has a assigned unit and rented with great location and made alot of money but it happens every day!

What happen to fair exchange?

I am adding to this post even though after reading couple times it sounds right to me! Seems jayjay and Ken are not understanding what I was trying to say!

I'm am saying that the exchanging families are more and more getting stuck in the bad buildings or units that have problems.

The resorts are keeping better units to rent out.

My post has nothing to do with the exchange it self or the exchange company. I am just talking about the resort signing you to a unit which in most cases is done couple weeks in advance in most resorts. The front desk people make changes all the time when you are checking in and this can be good or bad.

Hope this clears up my post even though I think my post said it right the first time. PHIL

I think the confusion was that the title of the thread was 'TIMESHARE OWNERS GETTING HOSED ON EXCHANGES'. It wasn't quite clear if you were referring to people getting hosed by the exchange companies or if you were speaking of units assigned at the resort upon arrival for exchangers.

It looks as if there are two completely different discussions in your post, thus the reason for all the confusion.

Either way, I certainly don't think there was any bone of contention by me or Ken toward you and I don't think that you took our posts as such. We were just trying to comprehend what you were saying and it took you a few days to get back to your post for an explanation of what you meant.

R P.
Nov 07, 2007

jayjay wrote:
I think the confusion was that the title of the thread was 'TIMESHARE OWNERS GETTING HOSED ON EXCHANGES'. It wasn't quite clear if you were referring to people getting hosed by the exchange companies or if you were speaking of units assigned at the resort upon arrival for exchangers.

It looks as if there are two completely different discussions in your post, thus the reason for all the confusion.

Either way, I certainly don't think there was any bone of contention by me or Ken toward you and I don't think that you took our posts as such. We were just trying to comprehend what you were saying and it took you a few days to get back to your post for an explanation of what you meant.

What might have messed things up were that I was talking about the resorts assigning a few weeks in advance of your stay and giving out the worse rooms(condition) and keeping the better ones to rent out!

I also said that even renting from a owner people get hosed many times because they will pay for a ocean front or beach,pool or great mountain scenes and front desk checks them in to something else and they rent out the great unit while the renters just got hosed!

I know for a fact this happens more every year. My own resort stated they try and not change the room if we rented our assigned room but can make the change without notice.They told me that since I had fourth of July week last two years and one of the best locations that if I rented they might re-issue the room to another owner and renter gets hosed or maybe even moved to different buildings.

Guess I could have wasted another post for the rental but thought they fit together.

I just got off the phone with II and the person I was talking with said same thing. He said few years ago top units went for the exchange but now the families making a exchange come in third behind owners use and resort rentals.

He stated its not fair to the exchange process but the resorts can do what ever they want and give any unit they want. He also said I was right and II knows of some resorts that do give the worse units and they are getting many complaints.

Maybe this is one reason for II getting rid of the five star rating. Because as far as exchanges many of these resorts doing this are five star resorts giving out three star units.

Also if a resort knows you paid good money to rent from a owner and get ocean view and when the front desk gives different location renters are going to be mad! Again the resort front desk can do what ever they want most of the time. If your mad maybe next time you will rent from the resort and not a owner.

I do agree that owners using their own resort should be first but exchangers should be second because they are still owners in the timeshare world.

Its hard though to put a family renting in a dump and then try and sell them a timeshare.

I only put this out here because I thought it was a good topic that effects most of us now.

It wasn't as Ken1193 stated complaining or griping or something he said to you about my post.

Phil L.
Nov 08, 2007

phil, thanks for your explanation.

R P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.